PDA

View Full Version : The American Conservative Verifies Bush Lies

Psychoblues
08-09-2008, 01:15 AM
Who'd 'a thunk it?!?!?!?!??!??!?!

Posted on August 7th, 2008 by Philip Giraldi
An extremely reliable and well placed source in the intelligence community has informed me that Ron Suskind’s revelation that the White House ordered the preparation of a forged letter linking Saddam Hussein to al-Qaeda and also to attempts made to obtain yellowcake uranium is correct but that a number of details are wrong.

The Suskind account states that two senior CIA officers Robert Richer and John Maguire supervised the preparation of the document under direct orders coming from Director George Tenet. Not so, says my source. Tenet is for once telling the truth when he states that he would not have undermined himself by preparing such a document while at the same time insisting publicly that there was no connection between Saddam and al-Qaeda. Richer and Maguire have both denied that they were involved with the forgery and it should also be noted that preparation of such a document to mislead the media is illegal and they could have wound up in jail.

My source also notes that Dick Cheney, who was behind the forgery, hated and mistrusted the Agency and would not have used it for such a sensitive assignment. Instead, he went to Doug Feith’s Office of Special Plans and asked them to do the job. The Pentagon has its own false documents center, primarily used to produce fake papers for Delta Force and other special ops officers traveling under cover as businessmen. It was Feith’s office that produced the letter and then surfaced it to the media in Iraq. Unlike the Agency, the Pentagon had no restrictions on it regarding the production of false information to mislead the public. Indeed, one might argue that Doug Feith’s office specialized in such activity..............

More: http://www.amconmag.com/blog/2008/08/07/suskind-revisited/

Gives a lot to think about, doesn't it?

Joe Steel
08-09-2008, 06:03 AM
Who'd 'a thunk it?!?!?!?!??!??!?!

Posted on August 7th, 2008 by Philip Giraldi
An extremely reliable and well placed source in the intelligence community has informed me that Ron Suskind’s revelation that the White House ordered the preparation of a forged letter linking Saddam Hussein to al-Qaeda and also to attempts made to obtain yellowcake uranium is correct but that a number of details are wrong.

The Suskind account states that two senior CIA officers Robert Richer and John Maguire supervised the preparation of the document under direct orders coming from Director George Tenet. Not so, says my source. Tenet is for once telling the truth when he states that he would not have undermined himself by preparing such a document while at the same time insisting publicly that there was no connection between Saddam and al-Qaeda. Richer and Maguire have both denied that they were involved with the forgery and it should also be noted that preparation of such a document to mislead the media is illegal and they could have wound up in jail.

My source also notes that Dick Cheney, who was behind the forgery, hated and mistrusted the Agency and would not have used it for such a sensitive assignment. Instead, he went to Doug Feith’s Office of Special Plans and asked them to do the job. The Pentagon has its own false documents center, primarily used to produce fake papers for Delta Force and other special ops officers traveling under cover as businessmen. It was Feith’s office that produced the letter and then surfaced it to the media in Iraq. Unlike the Agency, the Pentagon had no restrictions on it regarding the production of false information to mislead the public. Indeed, one might argue that Doug Feith’s office specialized in such activity..............

More: http://www.amconmag.com/blog/2008/08/07/suskind-revisited/

Gives a lot to think about, doesn't it?

I don't think even the wingnuts are surprised. Deep down in their hearts they know the Bush regime is corrupt to the core; from top to bottom, from the inside out.

stephanie
08-09-2008, 06:09 AM
another unknown website, and a "reliable and well placed source" is the person we are suppose to beleive..:lame2:

desperation smells bad any time of the day.

Joe Steel
08-09-2008, 06:46 AM
another unknown website, and a "reliable and well placed source" is the person we are suppose to beleive..:lame2:

desperation smells bad any time of the day.

The American Conservative an "unknown website?"

You'd better do some research?

JohnDoe
08-09-2008, 07:23 AM
is this an impeachable offense though?

also, do you think that IF this IS true....that they are the ones responsible for the ''yellowcake'' forgered memo too?

red states rule
08-09-2008, 07:28 AM
is this an impeachable offense though?

also, do you think that IF this IS true....that they are the ones responsible for the ''yellowcake'' forgered memo too?

Impeach for what?

What the liberal monobats always ignore is Pres Bush siad the same things about WMD's and Saddam as Dems have going back to the 1990's

Who was President in the 90's?

Guys, give it up. You had this an issue in 2004 and LOST

Kathianne
08-09-2008, 08:51 AM
From the site:

Editor:

Scott McConnell founded The American Conservative with Pat Buchanan and Taki Theodoracopulos in 2002. A Ph.D.in history from Columbia University, he was formerly the editorial page editor of the New York Post and has been a columnist for Antiwar.com and New York Press.His work has been published in Commentary, Fortune, National Review, The New Republic, and many other publications.

They are Buchanan led, xenophobic and anti-immigrant. They are against trade agreements, etc.

Kathianne
08-09-2008, 12:53 PM
Pretty good synopsis of the thread thus far. There are links:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121821851575024905.html?mod=Best+of+the+Web+Toda y

...Suskind continues to stand behind his story--but his sources don't, NBC reports:

Two former CIA officers denied that they or the spy agency faked an Iraqi intelligence document, as they are quoted as saying in Suskind's book "The Way of the World," published Tuesday. "I never received direction from George Tenet (CIA director at the time) or anyone else in my chain of command to fabricate a document . . . as outlined in Mr. Suskind's book," said Robert Richer, the CIA's former deputy director of clandestine operations.

Richer also said he talked Tuesday to John Maguire, who led the CIA's Iraq Operations Group at the time and who gave Richer "permission to state the following on his behalf: I never received any instruction from then Chief/NE Rob Richer or any other officer in my chain of command instructing me to fabricate such a letter. Further, I have no knowledge to the origins of the letter and as to how it circulated in Iraq," the statement said.

Suskind's dubious claim has given rise to an even more dubious claim from the fever swamps of the far right--namely The American Conservative, a magazine whose current cover story is an antiwar symposium about World War II. Philip Giraldi, a onetime CIA officer, claims that Suskind's story is true, but the CIA wasn't involved. Giraldi claims that it was the Pentagon, specifically Douglas Feith, then undersecretary for policy, that was behind the forgery.

Feith emails this response:

The . . . accusation is a nonsensical lie vouched for by an anonymous source and promoted by a writer named Philip Giraldi who lives on the hate-filled fringe of the world of crazy Zionist conspiracy theories. Shame on the people and publications that give credence to such garbage!

Giraldi's assertion could hardly be more thinly sourced; he attributes it to "an extremely reliable and well placed source in the intelligence community." As Giraldi describes it, Suskind's allegation "is correct but . . . a number of details are wrong." It's not clear, however, how Suskind's CIA sources are supposed to have known about this purported forgery if their agency had nothing to do with it.

At any rate, Giraldi's assertion quickly received favorable notice on Angry Left sites like ThinkProgress.com, the latest example of how the fringes of left and right converge.