PDA

View Full Version : Broccoli May Undo Diabetes Damage

Psychoblues
08-09-2008, 01:50 AM
I've always understood that the green vegetables had positive health benefits!!!!!! My Mama never lied to me!!!!!!!!!!

Source: BBC

Broccoli may undo diabetes damage.

Broccoli may help ward off prostate cancer......

Eating broccoli could reverse the damage caused by diabetes to heart blood vessels, research suggests.

A University of Warwick team believe the key is a compound found in the vegetable, called sulforaphane.

It encourages production of enzymes which protect the blood vessels, and a reduction in high levels of molecules which cause significant cell damage.

Brassica vegetables such as broccoli have previously been linked to a lower risk of heart attacks and strokes.
Our study suggests that compounds such as sulforaphane from broccoli may help counter processes linked to the development of vascular disease in diabetes.................

More: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7541639.stm

I'll stick with turnip greens, mustard greens, kale, cornbread and yes even broccoli when I can find it and when it is competitive in price!!!!!!!!

Have any of you bought any groceries lately?!?!?!?!?!? Whoever is watching that market is sleeping on the job for sure!!!!!!!!

Abbey Marie
08-09-2008, 01:00 PM
Interesting article, PB. Thanks for posting it.

I'm with you on the turnip greens- love them!

I looked up Brassica veggies, and here is the list:
brassica vegetables: brassica, broccoli, spinach, cabbage, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, kale, collard greens, pak choi and kohlrabi.

Luckily, I love spinach, too.

Kathianne
08-09-2008, 01:03 PM
I agree with Abbey, this was an interesting and informative post PB. While I've always loved my green veggies, I've been eating more than ever lately.

Green veggies, coffee, and red wine all seem to help the bodies defenses. Go antioxidants!

gabosaurus
08-09-2008, 10:48 PM
Broccoli or diabetes? Dang, that would be a tough choice for me.

Hobbit
08-09-2008, 11:12 PM
http://wzus.ask.com/r?t=a&d=us&s=a&c=p&ti=1&ai=30751&l=dir&o=0&sv=0a30050d&ip=4898c52e&u=http%3A%2F%2Fi133.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fq62 %2Fhippostick%2Fdiabeetus.jpg

Suddenly, I don't want broccoli anymore.

Psychoblues
08-11-2008, 12:48 AM
Even my poor and uneducated Mama taught me that greens were good for me!!!!!!!!!!! I love her memory more each time I read an article like this one!!!!!!!

Thanks, kitty and abby!!!!!!! I am sure that you are both good Mama's too!!!!!!!

diuretic
08-11-2008, 07:23 AM
What would be good would be if they could get the stuff out and then put it into beer. I mean it's always best to take this sort of thing in a soluble form isn't it?

Got to take my medicine now - :cheers2: .....hey what are these little floret things doing in the bottom of the bottle?......

Anyway I like greens, I've got heaps of things in the fridge that are green.

Half a ham sandwich, some onions, oh the cheese as well, forgot that.

I must be eating (and drinking) very healthily :D

emmett
08-11-2008, 10:34 PM
Ummmm! Cream of Broccoli soup, yummy! Stir fried Filet Mignon and broccoli in Mirin and yummy dark Hoison sauce. Yum YUm. Raw Broccoli dipped in Hollandaise sauce, yum yum yum!

emmett
08-11-2008, 10:36 PM
Now if we can just get Liberty National to deliver some to Wilfred's house with his testing supplies.

Psychoblues
08-12-2008, 12:19 AM
You got that right,,,,,er,,,,,Correct, emmie!!!!!!!!!

Now if we can just get Liberty National to deliver some to Wilfred's house with his testing supplies.

I've still got some beer left over from St. Patricks Day!!!!!!!!! It's greener now than it was when I bought it!!!!!!!!

Oh, well,,,,,,,,,Drink up, anyway!!!!!!!

:salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute: