PDA

View Full Version : Becoming Clearer: Can Georgia Survive?

Kathianne
08-09-2008, 06:59 PM
Seems it's no longer a matter of win or lose, rather will they be swallowed?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/guest_contributors/article4488503.ece

August 9, 2008
How Georgia fell into its enemies' trap
The fighting in the Caucasus should be a deafening wake-up call to the West

...In short, it looks more and more as though Georgia has fallen in to its enemies' trap. The script went like this: first mount unbearable provocations, then wait for a response, and finally reply with overwhelming military force and diplomatic humiliation. The idea that Georgia sought this war is nonsense. Recovering control of South Ossetia from its Russian-backed rulers has been a top priority for the Georgian authorities for years. But nobody thought it would come by military means. The Georgian strategy had been to use soft power, underlining its prosperity and the corruption-

busting successes of Mr Saakashvili's rule. That contrasted sharply with the isolation and cronyism of South Ossetia, which survives only on smuggling and Russian subsidies.

Now that strategy is in ruins. As things stand, Georgia will be fighting not to regain South Ossetia or even to deter aggression, but to survive. It is hard to see any good outcome. Georgia has failed to win a quick victory: crucially, it failed to block the Roki tunnel under the Caucasus mountains, normally used as a smugglers' highway, but now the route for Russian heavy weapons that Georgia cannot counter for long. Worse, the authorities in Abkhazia, Georgia's other breakaway region, may mount an attack, either on its own or with Russian help.

The fighting should be a deafening wake-up call to the West. Our fatal mistake was made at the Nato summit in Bucharest in April, when Georgia's attempt to get a clear path to membership of the alliance was rebuffed. Mr Saakashvili warned us then that Russia would take advantage of any display of Western weakness or indecision. And it has.

08-09-2008, 07:54 PM
I fear that while the world is drunken in Olympic revelries this action in Georgia will go unnoticed and will cause alot more destruction than it may seem at this point of time.

Kathianne
08-09-2008, 07:57 PM
I fear that while the world is drunken in Olympic revelries this action in Georgia will go unnoticed and will cause alot more destruction than it may seem at this point of time.

From what I've seen today, to the consternation of the Chinese, it's been noticed. On the other hand, it seems no citizenry is all that worked up. This board and others reflect that. The Russians, strike that, Soviets, are getting the message.

Gaffer
08-09-2008, 08:40 PM
soviets is the correct term. The media is watching the olympics and worrying about the breckgirls kid and affairs instead of watch the re-emergence of the soviet union. The US and EU should be putting troops in Georgia as we type here to help fend of the soviet attacks.

Welcome back to the cold war folks. And don't think those defensive missiles in the bulkans are going to be protecting us from iran. And this is a prime example of why the russians didn't want them there.

I haven't seen any reports from the un about sanctions and resolutions against russia for these aggressive actions. Isn't this a prime example of an illegal war? I'll be waiting to read about the liberal outrage to this action. I'll also wait with bated breath for the liberal media to cover the action. I'm sure Georgia would love to get the media coverage in there of the fighting.

Tough call for the media, 100 meter dash or 100 people killed in fighting. Which one should they cover?