PDA

View Full Version : Update on Jesse and the whole ADHD thing

Trinity
08-09-2008, 08:35 PM
Wow ok here is an update on Jesse……………………Jesse has been seeing a therapist since last April he has also been seen by a Psychiatrist and Psychologist then have run some tests on him and they have all spoke with him the preliminary diagnosis was originally ADHD and ODD (oppositional defiant disorder) with a possible mood disorder. They put him on adderall which greatly improved his ability to focus and not be hyper however it caused him to develop an OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) he started pulling the top layer of skin off of all of his fingertips on both hands.
We stooped the aderall a week ago because of that.

We went back to see the Psychiatrist today and the Psychologist as well and both of them based on Jesse’s mood and how he shuts down are now leaning more towards a diagnosis of depression. Not a situational depression but more of a chemical imbalance that he was born with they have now put him on an anti depressant and a mood stabilizer to see if that helps. However if he develops manic episodes while on this medication then most likely he is probably bi polar.

He had to take some tests about how he was feeling about things in the past two weeks. I, with out his knowledge, was able to read over the questions after he answered them and it broke my heart to read his answers. He said he felt like no one loved him. He hated himself, he though he was ugly, he thought no one liked him, and he also said he wanted to kill himself. This child is 9 Years old. I am having a really hard time dealing with this is my baby who I love dearly and show him all the time

Kathianne
08-10-2008, 01:04 PM
Wow ok here is an update on Jesse……………………Jesse has been seeing a therapist since last April he has also been seen by a Psychiatrist and Psychologist then have run some tests on him and they have all spoke with him the preliminary diagnosis was originally ADHD and ODD (oppositional defiant disorder) with a possible mood disorder. They put him on adderall which greatly improved his ability to focus and not be hyper however it caused him to develop an OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) he started pulling the top layer of skin off of all of his fingertips on both hands.
We stooped the aderall a week ago because of that.

We went back to see the Psychiatrist today and the Psychologist as well and both of them based on Jesse’s mood and how he shuts down are now leaning more towards a diagnosis of depression. Not a situational depression but more of a chemical imbalance that he was born with they have now put him on an anti depressant and a mood stabilizer to see if that helps. However if he develops manic episodes while on this medication then most likely he is probably bi polar.

He had to take some tests about how he was feeling about things in the past two weeks. I, with out his knowledge, was able to read over the questions after he answered them and it broke my heart to read his answers. He said he felt like no one loved him. He hated himself, he though he was ugly, he thought no one liked him, and he also said he wanted to kill himself. This child is 9 Years old. I am having a really hard time dealing with this is my baby who I love dearly and show him all the time

I went through similar with my youngest, though it wasn't chemical, rather situational. As a mother I don't know which must be harder, that you let it happen to a degree or that you haven't much control over the disease? As someone who spent so many hours feeling guilty, trying to help him, and just crying in frustration I'll give you a (((((hug))))). I also will tell you that yesterday was his 23rd birthday and he's thriving! He's going to graduate with honors. He has been a leader in both high school and college.

His ODD and depression became obvious at two. He bit his preschool teacher in the leg when she tried to make him follow the rules. He was always athletic, evidenced by his ability to throw a cup, block, book at anyone and hit them in the head. Trust me, I chose his toys very carefully, he could make a weapon out of anything and USE it.

By 4 he was in therapy with a psychologist, along with his father. It began as 'family therapy', but pretty quickly the psychologist determined the problem was this son and his father. Things seemed to deteriorate at that point. Before his 5th birthday the dad and I separated for the first time, after I saw the dad throw a large key ring at my son. We got back together 5 months later, after the dad went for 'anger management' and 'child development classes. Mistake on my part.

At 7 he was kicked out of parochial school, for sexually precocious behavior. He was seeing a psychiatrist by this time and on adderall, for depression. The first lucky break was the public school decided to enroll him in gifted program rather than BD program. That is about the time I filed for divorce too. Idiot that I was at the time, I didn't put together the 'sexually precious' behavior with their dad's behavior. Both my boys had problems with this, but the older one was not as aggressive. Within 5 months of filing, all 3 kids were in therapy, the two older ones with a MCSW. My daughter, the oldest, pretty quickly told the social worker some of the incidents of father and girlfriend exposing them to inappropriate behavior. The social worker conferred with the psychiatrist who interviewed all three children, from that point on the courts helped in stopping that kind of exposure. Things started to slowly go on the upswing from that point.

Slowly being the key word, Trinity. There were some wild times between the ages of 9-11. Clever child that he was, he started a shoplifting ring in his 3-4th grade classes. They would lift things from the megastore and sell them to their classmates. Luckily they did get caught, luckily too the little criminal kept his wits about him and had the store call my brother rather than myself or my parents. My brother was deputy chief of police and was able to take care of the ring, without the store pressing charges. He took all the members to their houses, talked to their parents, including putting the 'idea' on his nephew. He told my dad, but not me about the problem, and they basically let him know that he was going to change or be off to military school. :laugh2: The only reason I figure I didn't seem more aware was that I was taking 18hours a semester, in order to get certified. I just knew that his behavior suddenly improved. I must confess to being confused when he would insist on waiting in the car when I went to the grocery store-He been told by the manager not to step foot in there again.

There were a few more incidents throughout jr. high, though usually because he saw some 'wrong' being done and thought it his business to right it. By that time he was with a MCSW too, rather than the psychiatrist and off the meds.

Perhaps the most hopeful part was high school. He had a couple of teachers, most importantly his cross country coaches, that really helped him focus his leadership ability on sports, academics, and service. While I will admit high school was tough times with my other two, especially my daughter and I, with this kid, well it was a breeze for me. His friends were all leaders and volunteers. He got involved with a youth group that was active in mentoring jr. high kids in trouble, (of course he was good at that!)

So many things make up a person, so many others we can't foresee can help them in ways we never thought of. I guess my moral of this long post is that by focusing on their strengths, while not ignoring, but mitigating their weaknesses, they may come out in the end stronger than you or I.

gabosaurus
08-10-2008, 06:34 PM
Trinity, you should go back and read what I wrote you a long time ago. It takes a specially trained doctor or psychologist to recognize bi-polar and other chemical inbalances.
This is a situation where you HAVE to be patient and not overreact. The doctors have to find the right treatment for each specific person. Sometimes, it is a long process.
I remember the test that they gave your sense. Actually, it was perhaps three tests. The main test is about 600 questions. Many of the questions are repeated (or rephrased) to test your comprehension skills.

It is a very dark world when you are on the low end of the mood swing. I recall wanting to jump out of windows and jab objects into my arms and my throat. And how I thought I was the only person in the world who felt like I did.
When you are on the low end, you want to crawl under the covers and never make contact with anyone again. My mom (who is also bi-polar -- it is an inherited trait) remembers hiding in her closet for hours on end. She felt better in the dark, with no one around.

You need faith in your doctors. The process is going to be long and occasionally painful. Please be patient and understanding. :)