PDA

View Full Version : Isaac Hayes dead at 65 years old

Sitarro
08-10-2008, 05:29 PM
I liked a few of his songs over the years but really liked his character on South Park more....... too bad.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/us/AP-Obit-Isaac-Hayes.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

G. Paul Burnett/The New York Times

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) -- Isaac Hayes, the baldheaded, baritone-voiced soul crooner who laid the groundwork for disco and whose ''Theme From Shaft'' won both Academy and Grammy awards, died Sunday afternoon after he collapsed near a treadmill, authorities said. He was 65.

Hayes was pronounced dead at Baptist East Hospital in Memphis an hour after he was found by a family member, the Shelby County Sheriff's Office said. The cause of death was not immediately known.

With his muscular build, shiny head and sunglasses, Hayes cut a striking figure at a time when most of his contemporaries were sporting Afros. His music, which came to be known as urban-contemporary, paved the way for disco as well as romantic crooners like Barry White.

And in his spoken-word introductions and interludes, Hayes was essentially rapping before there was rap. His career hit another high in 1997 when he became the voice of Chef, the sensible school cook and devoted ladies man on the animated TV show ''South Park.''

''Isaac Hayes embodies everything that's soul music,'' Collin Stanback, an A&R executive at Stax, told The Associated Press on Sunday. ''When you think of soul music you think of Isaac Hayes -- the expression ... the sound and the creativity that goes along with it.''

Hayes was about to begin work on a new album for Stax, the soul record label he helped build to legendary status. And he had recently finished work on a movie called ''Soul Men'' in which he played himself, starring Samuel Jackson and Bernie Mac, who died on Saturday.

hjmick
08-10-2008, 05:45 PM
The man wrote the best movie theme song ever. Loved his role as Chef, right up until he went all Scientology on Trey and Matt.

Shaft (check out brother Jesse introducing him):

L2cHkMwzOiM

Another version, justfor fun, done by one of my favorite groups, UOGB:

PfK-UzQ48JE

actsnoblemartin
08-10-2008, 05:49 PM
sad, a talented dude.

what is up with everyone dying lately :lame2:

gabosaurus
08-10-2008, 05:53 PM
I learned about this from my sister. She was a huge R&B fan while in high school, and Isaac Hayes was one of her heroes. I used to know the lyrics to "Theme From Shaft" by heart.
My sister actually got to meet Hayes when she was in college. He came out here to emcee a Stax Revival show. He apparently knew how to talk to the ladies. :)

Yurt
08-10-2008, 05:56 PM
one of his weakness was definately not the lack of an insignificant ego:

http://wordpressblog.funkygog.de/wp-content/uploads/2007/02/isaac-hayes-black-moses-cover-front.jpg

he had some good, some bad...

martin,

death is an everyday occurence. it is a strange bit of life that we tend to react emotionally to "stars" dying. we don't know them, but they have affected our lives. people die everyday. unfortunately, we seem to only notice or care when a star dies.

actsnoblemartin
08-10-2008, 05:57 PM
he got more ass then a toilet seat :laugh2:

I learned about this from my sister. She was a huge R&B fan while in high school, and Isaac Hayes was one of her heroes. I used to know the lyrics to "Theme From Shaft" by heart.
My sister actually got to meet Hayes when she was in college. He came out here to emcee a Stax Revival show. He apparently knew how to talk to the ladies. :)

Yurt
08-10-2008, 06:02 PM
he got more ass then a toilet seat :laugh2:

:puke3:

Said1
08-10-2008, 06:04 PM
It happens in threes.........

Yurt
08-10-2008, 06:12 PM
It happens in threes.........

holy crap, knock on wood, who is going to be the third....

hjmick
08-10-2008, 06:13 PM

Paul Newman.

Yurt
08-10-2008, 06:23 PM
Paul Newman.

could be, he is pretty old. death sucks. and btw, you should never jinx anyone like that....

what is "jinx" anyways? is it like a hex? i don't believe that "stuff", yet i find myself oddly saying it and other similar type superstitious sayings....

actsnoblemartin
08-10-2008, 06:23 PM
its just sad.. :(---. the only people i wanna see dying are al queda, and palestinian terrorists

hjmick
08-10-2008, 06:34 PM
could be, he is pretty old. death sucks. and btw, you should never jinx anyone like that....

what is "jinx" anyways? is it like a hex? i don't believe that "stuff", yet i find myself oddly saying it and other similar type superstitious sayings....

Jinx hell, he's 83, not getting anymore treatment for his cancer, got his affairs in order, left the hospital to be at home with his family. Seems like he's ready for it.

Yurt
08-10-2008, 06:54 PM
Jinx hell, he's 83, not getting anymore treatment for his cancer, got his affairs in order, left the hospital to be at home with his family. Seems like he's ready for it.

did not know that. good for him and good for his family for ALLOWING him to go on his time, his way. unreal that i find myself saying "allowing"...was never like this, never, in all of history, never.

still a jinx though...you said his name...not that i believe in such things :cool:

Abbey Marie
08-10-2008, 09:06 PM

SHUT YOUR MOUTH! :laugh2:

Yurt
08-10-2008, 09:14 PM
SHUT YOUR MOUTH! :laugh2:

oh ye of dirty minds....

Abbey Marie
08-10-2008, 09:16 PM
oh ye of dirty minds....

:confused: It's part of the lyrics to the song.

manu1959
08-10-2008, 09:18 PM

obama..............shark attack.....

Yurt
08-10-2008, 09:23 PM
obama..............shark attack.....

watch out...some members MFM might report you.

KitchenKitten99
08-10-2008, 11:13 PM

The guy that got stabbed in the Olympics was technically the first. Even though he wasn't famous Nationally, everyone here in MN knew of him (because of the floral shops being very well known here) and his daughter on the volleyball team.
http://www.bachmans.com/

Psychoblues
08-11-2008, 01:37 AM
Isaac was a friend of mine from the '60's. His life went on, mine addressed the urgency of a more military/American obligation. Isaac was a gentleman in every sense of the word!!!!!!!!!!!!!