PDA

View Full Version : More Than A Month Out But Summer Is Over

Kathianne
08-10-2008, 06:18 PM
It's about 6:15 pm here. The sun is setting. Not so long ago this stage of 'evening' was about an hour and a half later. It's getting cool in the evening, from about 5 on. Sigh, before we know it Halloween will be here and we'll be shooting for turkeys. ;)

gabosaurus
08-10-2008, 06:25 PM
That is one of the things I love about Southern California. We have that "Endless Summer" that the Beach Boys wrote about.

Kathianne
08-10-2008, 06:28 PM
That is one of the things I love about Southern California. We have that "Endless Summer" that the Beach Boys wrote about.

I don't know Gabby, seems I remember than in late July in LA, it got pretty cool right around 5, sun set *kabloom* about 8. My guess by mid August, all would be quicker.

crin63
08-10-2008, 06:39 PM
There's times here in So. Cal that even in October it seems like summer never ended.

crin63
08-10-2008, 06:41 PM
There must be at least one icicle in hell right now. I agree with Gabby.

Kathianne
08-10-2008, 06:43 PM
There must be at least one icicle in hell right now. I agree with Gabby.

Oh you! Then you must just be a hot type of person. LOL! I remember wearing sweatshirts in the evening, standing on an over pass at Loyola Marymount, looking at the sunset. Probably 3rd week in July.

crin63
08-10-2008, 06:54 PM
Oh you! Then you must just be a hot type of person. LOL! I remember wearing sweatshirts in the evening, standing on an over pass at Loyola Marymount, looking at the sunset. Probably 3rd week in July.

I guess you just needed someone HOT, with you for that experience. :coffee:

Kathianne
08-10-2008, 07:16 PM
I guess you just needed someone HOT, with you for that experience. :coffee:

Uh, one night I did have someone 'hot', umm, too hot. Most dangerous situation I ever felt I was in. A Palestinian professor who had come to our class, 3 days late, because of Israeli checkpoints according to him. Me being me, well I befriended him. Seems he got the wrong idea. He didn't expect a 'no' from a western woman. LOL! He wasn't walking real well, when I left him, quickly. First time I ever had to ask the professors to keep someone out of my group.

crin63
08-11-2008, 11:32 PM
Uh, one night I did have someone 'hot', umm, too hot. Most dangerous situation I ever felt I was in. A Palestinian professor who had come to our class, 3 days late, because of Israeli checkpoints according to him. Me being me, well I befriended him. Seems he got the wrong idea. He didn't expect a 'no' from a western woman. LOL! He wasn't walking real well, when I left him, quickly. First time I ever had to ask the professors to keep someone out of my group.

Sorry to hear that, it must've been scary for you.

Well we all know that when women say, "No!" they don't really mean it. It means for the man to force himself on her and she will eventually melt in his arms or at least that's the way Hollywood has portrayed women in movies. The guy grabs the woman, she says no, he forces a kiss on her, she melts and they end up in the sack. Thanks Hollywood.

Gaffer
08-12-2008, 08:17 AM
It's the middle of August and the mornings and evening here are chilly. The days are comfortable. Looks like no dog days this year.

As a teenager in California, even in January, when I got home from school, I would put on a pair of cut offs and a T-shirt and head out. Bare foot. Having lived in northern Indiana until I was 14 I never considered southern California as cold.

dan
08-12-2008, 08:34 AM
It's mid August in South Carolina. It's uncomfortably humid in the morning, stiflingly humid in the afternoon, and irritatingly humid in the evening. The sun sets around 7:30, just in time for the mosquitos to come out.

I hate summer in the south. Can you tell?

Kathianne
08-12-2008, 08:39 AM
It's mid August in South Carolina. It's uncomfortably humid in the morning, stiflingly humid in the afternoon, and irritatingly humid in the evening. The sun sets around 7:30, just in time for the mosquitos to come out.

That is something that does concern me when I think of relocation.

It's 8:30 am and it's only 66 F right now. It will warm up during the day, then start cooling off by 5-5:30. By 5:30 I need to turn on lights in kitchen or if reading. While I love fall, I'm always shocked when it starts to move in at the beginning of August.

Gaffer
08-12-2008, 08:56 AM
That is something that does concern me when I think of relocation.

It's 8:30 am and it's only 66 F right now. It will warm up during the day, then start cooling off by 5-5:30. By 5:30 I need to turn on lights in kitchen or if reading. While I love fall, I'm always shocked when it starts to move in at the beginning of August.

Seems like fall comes earlier every year.

Monkeybone
08-12-2008, 09:02 AM
It's the middle of August and the mornings and evening here are chilly. The days are comfortable. Looks like no dog days this year.

As a teenager in California, even in January, when I got home from school, I would put on a pair of cut offs and a T-shirt and head out. Bare foot. Having lived in northern Indiana until I was 14 I never considered southern California as cold.

same here Gaf, when i spent some time in Cali, i found it funny would people would start to don sweatshirts at night when it was only mid-60s. they would complain that it was cold. :laugh2:

Kathianne
08-12-2008, 09:02 AM

Yep. Oh I do remember summers as a kid, when I noticed the street lights coming on earlier as school approached. I hated that, the rule was I had to get home within 5 minutes of the street lights coming on, then usually we could play on our block for another 1/2 hour of so.

I must say this year seems worse than before. Mornings and evenings are mostly downright cold, at least for Chicago in August. :laugh2:

Kathianne
08-12-2008, 09:05 AM
same here Gaf, when i spent some time in Cali, i found it funny would people would start to don sweatshirts at night when it was only mid-60s. they would complain that it was cold. :laugh2:

Well we feel the same about folks that stop grilling in January! :laugh2:

YOU KNOW YOU'RE FROM CHICAGO IF..

* The "Living Room" is called the "front room" (pronounced fronchroom)
* You don't pronounce the "s" at the end of Illinois. You become irate at people who do
* You measure distance in minutes (especially "from the city"). And you swear everything is pretty much 15 minutes away
* You have no problem spelling or pronouncing "Des Plaines"
* Your school classes were canceled because of cold
* Your school classes were canceled because of heat
* You've ever had to switch from "heat" to "A/C" in the same day
* Stores don't have sacks, they have bags
* You end your sentences with an unnecessary preposition. Example:"Where's my coat at?" or "If you go to the mall I wanna go with."
* Your idea of a great tenderloin is when the meat is twice as big as the bun, "everything" is on it and a slice of dill pickle is on the side
* You carry jumper cables in your car
* You drink "pop."
* You understand that I-290, I-90, I-94, and I-294 are all different roads
* You know the names of the interstates: Stevenson, Kennedy, Eisenhower,Dan Ryan, and the Edens
* But you call the interstates "expressways"
* You refer to anything South of I-80 as "Southern Illinois"
* You refer to Lake Michigan as "The Lake"
* You refer to Chicago as "The City"
* "The Super Bowl" refers to one specific game in a series of 35 played in January of 1986
* No matter where you are, when you hear the term "Downtown" you immediately assume they're talking about Downtown Chicago
* You have two favorite football teams: The Bears, and anyone who beats the Packers!
* You buy "The Trib"
* You think 35 degrees is great weather to wash your car!
* You know what goes on a Chicago Style Hot Dog
* You know what Chicago Style Pizza REALLY is
* You know why they call Chicago "The Windy City"
* You understand what "lake-effect" means
* You know the difference between Amtrak and Metra, and know which station they end up at. You have ridden the "L"
* You can distinguish between the following area codes: 847,630,773,708, 312, & 815
* You have at some time in your life, used your furniture to guard your parking spot in winter. (CHICAGO CLASSIC!!)
* You respond to the question "Where are you from" with a side" example:"WEST SIDE", "SOUTH SIDE" or "NORTHSIDE."
* You know what the phone number is to Empire Carpet!

Gaffer
08-12-2008, 10:20 AM
Well we feel the same about folks that stop grilling in January! :laugh2:

:laugh2:

So as a kid I lived 60 miles from Chicago, 30 if you went by the lake. So I am very familiar with a lot of the stuff in that. It's funny and very true.

Monkeybone
08-12-2008, 10:24 AM
hahaha nice Kath, there are some similarities between Ill and IN. and hey, i grill all winter! does that give me street cred?

Kathianne
08-12-2008, 10:26 AM
hahaha nice Kath, there are some similarities between Ill and IN. and hey, i grill all winter! does that give me street cred?

Certainly would help, but do you talk funny? LOL!

Gaffer
08-12-2008, 10:34 AM

If he lives in northern Indiana he does. And he knows what a FIP is.

Kathianne
08-12-2008, 10:37 AM

Ok, what's a FIP? :laugh2:

Gaffer
08-12-2008, 11:26 AM
Ok, what's a FIP? :laugh2:

Fuckin Illinois People. The ones that own all the lake shore property. :laugh2:

Kathianne
08-12-2008, 11:32 AM
Fuckin Illinois People. The ones that own all the lake shore property. :laugh2:

:laugh2: Yeah, we hate them too! The best revenge, The Lake taketh too. We know that the 'coast' of the lake was seriously expanded. Hell, The Lake used to go past Michigan Ave, west. Now the Drive and beach is the border. Lots of things built on that, including some of the most expensive property on earth. Yet, The Lake continues to reclaim.

Abbey Marie
08-12-2008, 11:35 AM

Lucky you! Here, it seems to come later and later. In fact, it often seems like we have summer through all of September and part of October. After just a precious week or so of beautiful fall weather, it turns to winter.

Monkeybone
08-12-2008, 11:55 AM
hey now, define funny...

sheesh no breaks now breaks...yah, we call them Lakers. Damn lakers coming every summer.

crin63
08-12-2008, 11:56 AM
I spent a week in Chicago November 2006. The weather was perfect, not to hot or to cold although it snowed the last night we were there. I stayed over by one of the medical universities and we figured out the best way to get back to our hotel was find the Sears building and head that way.

Being from So. Cal. me and my son were just blown away by the racial separation. You drive through an area during the day and everyone is white, drive through the same area at night and everyone is black. Only once in the whole week did we see someone black talking to someone white. The black folk I would talk too just seemed shocked that I would talk to them and would become extra friendly as well as helpful. Is that normal for Chicago?

Kathianne
08-12-2008, 12:02 PM
I spent a week in Chicago November 2006. The weather was perfect, not to hot or to cold although it snowed the last night we were there. I stayed over by one of the medical universities and we figured out the best way to get back to our hotel was find the Sears building and head that way.

Being from So. Cal. me and my son were just blown away by the racial separation. You drive through an area during the day and everyone is white, drive through the same area at night and everyone is black. Only once in the whole week did we see someone black talking to someone white. The black folk I would talk too just seemed shocked that I would talk to them and would become extra friendly as well as helpful. Is that normal for Chicago?

Hmm, not if you were downtown. Were you by University of Chicago? Only area I can think of that comes somewhat close to your post. Most of the university is white, most of the neighborhood is integrated, so you can see why I say, 'comes close.'

Rush-U of I, sort of fills the same, but closer to the West side, which is black. Housing in Chicago is very segregated, as explained in Concentric Zone Theory (http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1O88-concentriczonetheory.html), by U of C professors, Park and Burgess.

crin63
08-12-2008, 12:19 PM
Hmm, not if you were downtown. Were you by University of Chicago? Only area I can think of that comes somewhat close to your post. Most of the university is white, most of the neighborhood is integrated, so you can see why I say, 'comes close.'

Rush-U of I, sort of fills the same, but closer to the West side, which is black. Housing in Chicago is very segregated, as explained in Concentric Zone Theory (http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1O88-concentriczonetheory.html), by U of C professors, Park and Burgess.

We were over by University of Illinois at Chicago. I was at UIC and U of C for medical testing (Chicago has the best electrical trauma program in the US) so I was a bit confused on location. We drove all over the 2 campuses and surrounding communities. The racial separation seemed pretty much the same everywhere we went.

Kathianne
08-12-2008, 12:25 PM
We were over by University of Illinois at Chicago. I was at UIC and U of C for medical testing (Chicago has the best electrical trauma program in the US) so I was a bit confused on location. We drove all over the 2 campuses and surrounding communities. The racial separation seemed pretty much the same everywhere we went.

Well you were in the 'zone', both universities fit the 2nd ring. I studied sociology in the 70's and the 'long range plan' was to connect the universities, in an attempt to integrate more completely the areas between. U of I goes from basically 290/Halsted, while U of C is at 55th and LSD. Today the 'connections' are just short of complete. Included in the plan was the razing of Robert Taylor Homes, completed. Real estate has skyrocketed between the campuses. While 'integration' has been somewhat met, it's been at the cost of displacement of many poor, black residents. Is that success? :confused:

Trigg
08-12-2008, 12:49 PM

Hey!!! We don't talk funny!!

The twang doesn't start until you get south of Indy.

Trigg
08-12-2008, 12:50 PM
It's about 6:15 pm here. The sun is setting. Not so long ago this stage of 'evening' was about an hour and a half later. It's getting cool in the evening, from about 5 on. Sigh, before we know it Halloween will be here and we'll be shooting for turkeys. ;)

I've been enjoying the weather the last few days. It's nice to have a break from the heat, especially in August. I swear the last two years the heat has been unbearable around this time.

crin63
08-12-2008, 02:47 PM
Well you were in the 'zone', both universities fit the 2nd ring. I studied sociology in the 70's and the 'long range plan' was to connect the universities, in an attempt to integrate more completely the areas between. U of I goes from basically 290/Halsted, while U of C is at 55th and LSD. Today the 'connections' are just short of complete. Included in the plan was the razing of Robert Taylor Homes, completed. Real estate has skyrocketed between the campuses. While 'integration' has been somewhat met, it's been at the cost of displacement of many poor, black residents. Is that success? :confused:

I was told that my city elected a black mayor back in the 80's before I moved here so he could use emanate domain to redevelop the ghetto areas. He went in and kicked out the poor black folk and turned the city from being considered a ghetto to an All American City. Another city hired him as a consultant so they can do the same thing. I dunno, it just doesn't seem right.

jackass
08-12-2008, 03:27 PM

You and me both brother!!

Trigg
08-13-2008, 10:01 AM

That's why I don't miss Florida or Louisiana. :laugh2: