PDA

View Full Version : Boast about your child thread

Said1
08-10-2008, 06:59 PM
Who wants to go first?

I know Mr. P, Abbey and Kathianne have some pretty smart cookies, how about the rest of you - care to indulge us?

My daughter has developed a flair for photography and photo essays? I add the question mark because I'm not really sure what to call her hobby. She generally takes a series of pictures of something like 2 birds on the car parked outside our living room window. Then, she waits and waits and waits and waits until they do something that might not seem funny (or another bird might come along and join them) then she adds dialoge below their pictures. For example, one bird might look at the other bird and chirp, but the dialoge she writes below the photo makes it seem as if the bird is talking to it's companion - one time she wrote BURP - not nice (teehee). She REALLY wants a camera with a shutter? or something that takes pictures in rapid succession. I know nothing about cameras, but I will say that she is on her third and has outgrown it already.

This might be where someone interjects with camera advise?

She also get's straight A's and all that stuff! :laugh2:

Next

Kathianne
08-10-2008, 07:13 PM

Next

I think what you wrote about her patience in photography, not too mention 'strait A's and all that stuff' puts you in category with the rest of us. How old is she now? 11? Give or take a couple, she's always sounded like a terrific girl! You should be proud.

Said1
08-10-2008, 07:17 PM
She's 10, now. She spent an hour dressing the dog once. :laugh2:

retiredman
08-10-2008, 07:19 PM
my oldest has his bachelor's degree in vocal performance, and his master's degree in choral conducting. He is the music teacher and choir director for a high school/middle school in central Maine. He is the artistic director for a very well supported community chorus and he is the choir director at our church. Additionally, he is in demand as a tenor and/or counter tenor soloist for choral performances all over the state.

Kathianne
08-10-2008, 07:21 PM
She's 10, now. She spent an hour dressing the dog once. :laugh2:

Funny you wrote that. I always remember her with the dog and interacting with the kids you were watching at the time. I think you must be a terrific mom and she sounds like a dd, delightful daughter. My guess is like Abbey, in 7 years or so you'll be pulling out your hair, 3 years later, she'll be your best friend.

Don't you wish we really could be 'friends' with our daughters when easier to do so? Yet, they need us to be mom. Then come the hard years, with no thanks and plenty of blame and guilt. By the time they really do appreciate us, they've worn us out! At least for a bit.

Being the oldster, I'll say, there is nothing more discombobulating than when the said daughter that has seen nothing but wrong with you, suddenly sees you as a font of wisdom. LOL!

Abbey Marie
08-10-2008, 08:37 PM
Said, she sounds so creative. And smart, too. Just like her mom.

Those were fun years!

manu1959
08-10-2008, 08:39 PM
mine are five and ten.......love em to death......one is an actor the other is here to test my patience.....

Abbey Marie
08-10-2008, 08:40 PM
Funny you wrote that. I always remember her with the dog and interacting with the kids you were watching at the time. I think you must be a terrific mom and she sounds like a dd, delightful daughter. My guess is like Abbey, in 7 years or so you'll be pulling out your hair, 3 years later, she'll be your best friend.

Don't you wish we really could be 'friends' with our daughters when easier to do so? Yet, they need us to be mom. Then come the hard years, with no thanks and plenty of blame and guilt. By the time they really do appreciate us, they've worn us out! At least for a bit.

Being the oldster, I'll say, there is nothing more discombobulating than when the said daughter that has seen nothing but wrong with you, suddenly sees you as a font of wisdom. LOL!

Oh, what a joy that will be!

Kathianne
08-10-2008, 08:43 PM
Oh, what a joy that will be!
Trust me, it will happen. I know, seems impossible. But it will.

5stringJeff
08-14-2008, 05:39 PM
Let's see...

My oldest daughter (14, almost 15) had two of her pieces of art entered into a statewide contest last year. One got an honorable mention.

My 2 1/2 year old son spells words (like his own name), can count to 30, speaks in paragraphs, and can read simple words.

My 13 month old can leave a bruise on your shoulder in one bite. :D

08-14-2008, 05:42 PM
My oldest hasnt been concieved yet. But I'm very proud of him/her.

Kathianne
08-14-2008, 05:50 PM
Let's see...

My oldest daughter (14, almost 15) had two of her pieces of art entered into a statewide contest last year. One got an honorable mention.

My 2 1/2 year old son spells words (like his own name), can count to 30, speaks in paragraphs, and can read simple words.

My 13 month old can leave a bruise on your shoulder in one bite. :D

They all sound very gifted Jeff, the youngest positively precocious!

Dilloduck
08-14-2008, 06:47 PM
My son turned 19 yesterday and beat me golfing. Im predicting he will be having a broken wrist really soon.

Dilloduck
08-14-2008, 06:50 PM
Who wants to go first?

I know Mr. P, Abbey and Kathianne have some pretty smart cookies, how about the rest of you - care to indulge us?

My daughter has developed a flair for photography and photo essays? I add the question mark because I'm not really sure what to call her hobby. She generally takes a series of pictures of something like 2 birds on the car parked outside our living room window. Then, she waits and waits and waits and waits until they do something that might not seem funny (or another bird might come along and join them) then she adds dialoge below their pictures. For example, one bird might look at the other bird and chirp, but the dialoge she writes below the photo makes it seem as if the bird is talking to it's companion - one time she wrote BURP - not nice (teehee). She REALLY wants a camera with a shutter? or something that takes pictures in rapid succession. I know nothing about cameras, but I will say that she is on her third and has outgrown it already.

This might be where someone interjects with camera advise?

Next

You could start by googling power winders for SLR cameras. I'm not sure what she has now but many can have a power winder attatched to them to do the trick. Better advice would be --ask Sitarro. :laugh2:

Trigg
08-15-2008, 02:04 PM
mine are five and ten.......love em to death......one is an actor the other is here to test my patience.....

Sounds like my 10 yr old. He's the one giving me my grey hairs. :laugh2:

gabosaurus
08-15-2008, 02:45 PM
My seven-year-old daughter loves to read and is extremely inquisitive. She asks questions that you wouldn't expect from a child that age.
I have been told that she already reads on a third-grade level. My mom tried to give her some children's books once. She told my mom that those were "boring" and that she liked "grown up books."
She saw fencing on the Olympics while visiting a neighbor. Her summation: "They were sword fighting, like in pirate movies." :)

crin63
08-15-2008, 05:58 PM
My oldest son is 22 he has his own apartment, is an English major at UC Riverside, makes 45k a year working for HP.

My younger son is 19 graduated high school as valedictorian with an honors degree, now goes to junior college, he is expecting to transfer to UCLA next fall and works for the Red Cross as a CPR trainer as well as some other areas.

My daughter is 13, she just started high school this year. She won student of the year for the junior high last year. She was co-captain of her basketball and volleyball teams. She won the President Bush achievement award, she won 3rd place for a story about the black soldiers from the 92nd in Italy during WW2 (prior to finding out about Spike Lee's movie). She also got 1st in a powerpoint presentation honoring our military servicemen. She has begun writing a book about me and her and our relationship because we have so much fun together. She also loves John Wayne and Rocky, ok and chick flicks.

She loves RSR and Stephanies avatars, she cracks up every time she sees them.

Kathianne
08-15-2008, 06:10 PM
My oldest son is 22 he has his own apartment, is an English major at UC Riverside, makes 45k a year working for HP.

My younger son is 19 graduated high school as valedictorian with an honors degree, now goes to junior college, he is expecting to transfer to UCLA next fall and works for the Red Cross as a CPR trainer as well as some other areas.

My daughter is 13, she just started high school this year. She won student of the year for the junior high last year. She was co-captain of her basketball and volleyball teams. She won the President Bush achievement award, she won 3rd place for a story about the black soldiers from the 92nd in Italy during WW2 (prior to finding out about Spike Lee's movie). She also got 1st in a powerpoint presentation honoring our military servicemen. She has begun writing a book about me and her and our relationship because we have so much fun together. She also loves John Wayne and Rocky, ok and chick flicks.

She loves RSR and Stephanies avatars, she cracks up every time she sees them.

They sound like wonderful kids! Kudos to you and your spouse!

crin63
08-15-2008, 06:17 PM
They sound like wonderful kids! Kudos to you and your spouse!

Thanks but its only by the grace of God!

Kathianne
08-15-2008, 06:24 PM
Thanks but its only by the grace of God!

Indeed, but nurture plays a huge role. I liked Abbey's thinking on that. Must be on another thread, I'll do my best to paraphrase:

'I always figured if she turned out 'perfect' I deserved 50% of the credit. If 'not perfect' I deserved 50% of the blame.' Sounds about right to me.

PostmodernProphet
08-15-2008, 07:26 PM
son, 22...was on swim team in high school (one of his teammates swam in college and competed against Phelps)......likes to work with automobiles.....rebuilt a 96 Mitsubishi 3000GT, sold it for a profit...currently working on a 93 Mazda RX7....went to college one year...hated it....moved to Florida and went to work.....came to his senses and signed up on his own for some classes down in Florida....just moved home and decided to finish college....

daughter, 18, just graduated high school with a 3.72 GPA, going to college next week....member of the 2007 Michigan State Champion Competitive Cheerleading team....started taking piano lessons at age 8, surprised her parents at her first concert when she played an original composition....wrote her own songs for her recital every year from then till age 16.....

Kathianne
08-15-2008, 07:30 PM
I'm impressed with all the kids of the members that have posted. Seems to me we have a bunch, from 18 mths to upper 20's.

Truth is, we often forget that most kids turn out well, lok at all of us! :laugh2:

retiredman
08-15-2008, 11:00 PM
I'm impressed with all the kids of the members that have posted. Seems to me we have a bunch, from 18 mths to upper 20's.
Truth is, we often forget that most kids turn out well, lok at all of us! :laugh2:

mid thirties, or doesn't my kid count?

Kathianne
08-15-2008, 11:27 PM
mid thirties, or doesn't my kid count?

Damn, missed that, thanks. Case in point.

KitchenKitten99
08-15-2008, 11:47 PM
My oldest baby, Nathan, turned 5 today. His party is tomorrow, and he is all excited. I made him a Spiderman cake to go with the theme he picked out. He's all excited to go to Kindergarten in two weeks.

Said1
04-05-2011, 09:16 PM
Ok. Now she's 13. :dev2::argue: :crying2::fighting0061:

But I hear that's normal, so it's all good. :laugh2::2up:

Abbey Marie
04-07-2011, 04:18 PM
Ok. Now she's 13. :dev2::argue: :crying2::fighting0061:

But I hear that's normal, so it's all good. :laugh2::2up:

It's tough being a 13 year old girl. So much confusion, insecurity, and if they are still at all innocent, uncomfortable awareness of what guys are thinking.