PDA

View Full Version : Game Fair & Campaigning

KitchenKitten99
08-10-2008, 10:45 PM
I may or may not have mentioned it, but I am helping a neighbor of mine, run for State Representative for 48B district primaries, against a local RINO, Jim Abeler. His name is Don Huizenga and I met him last fall when I was at the hearings about the school levies that they were pushing. He was, of course, against them. Abeler was for them, and got his way.

So when I noticed a sign on Don's yard (he lives only 5 blocks away and his house is right on the road we take to go to the store) that said "Don Huizenga for State Representative", I was delighted that someone is standing up to Abeler and I fully wanted to help Don get elected. This was only a few weeks ago. He basically just entered his name the first week of July, so the time is short. So I offered to help out, knowing that every person available to help, can make a big difference in the election outcome. Though I was worried at first, because Don has no official political office experience, but he is a partner in business for building contractors in the South metro area, and he's very successful. However, I am seeing A LOT of positive feedback and we have converted MANY Abeler supporters. Many we have found, were supporting him because it was just habit. Don seems to be giving Abeler a run for his money based on what I have been seeing, especially since many Abeler supporters are not happy with his gas-tax vote.

So, I have gotten a nice view into the inside tracks of campaigning, albeit I am not 100% involved, I mostly observe and pay attention and just offer to help and do what I can. That being said, I volunteered my time at Don's booth today at the Game Fair in Ramsey (http://www.gamefair.com/). I thoroughly enjoyed myself, and I almost came home with a black-lab puppy who is from Raven's (http://www.mnbound.com/c-22-all-about-raven.aspx) bloodlines -great grand-niece of the original dog- for $50 (another story for later), I saw Al Franken in person (not a pretty sight :puke: ) to which I almost yelled out "No, you're not good enough, you're not smart enough, and doggone it, NOBODY likes you!" but that probably would have been a bit frowned-upon because he stopped right in front of our booth for a photo with one of the fair-goers. I was able to chat and meet with Congresswoman Michele Bachmann for several minutes (ok, more like 45 minutes), to which I asked about the whole Pelosi-shutdown thing, told her about how I read various reports of people crashing her book signings and giving her Hell for what she did, and I volunteered with her booth at the Convention. Even though I volunteered for the general convention work through the City of St. Paul, I asked if there was room for me at Michele's booth at the convention, and they said yes. So I gave her campaign manager my info and I got his, and I will be making some calls tomorrow. I'll let you all know what happens as soon as I can with this, if you care to know.

Very busy weekend for me!