PDA

View Full Version : 4 Years Prematurely, China Overtakes US Manufacturing

Psychoblues
08-11-2008, 02:41 AM
I didn't get the memo?!?!?!??!??!?!?! Just who is hiding all these plans from me, us?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Source: FT

China is set to overtake the US next year as the world’s largest producer of manufactured goods, four years earlier than expected, as a result of the rapidly weakening US economy.

The great leap is revealed in forecasts for the Financial Times by Global Insight, a US economics consultancy. According to the estimates, next year China will account for 17 per cent of manufacturing value-added output of $11,783bn and the US will make 16 per cent.

Last year the US was still easily in the top slot and accounted for a fifth of the total. China was second with 13.2 per cent.

John Engler, president of the National Association of Manufacturers, a Washington-based trade group, played down the effect of the projections. It was “inevitable” that China would take over on account of its size, he said. “This should be a wholesome development for the US, for it promises both political stability for the world’s largest country and continuing opportunities for the US to export to, and invest in, the world’s fastest-growing economy.”

More: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2aa7a12e-6709-11dd-808f-0000779fd18c,Authorised=false.html?_i_location=htt p%3A%2F%2Fwww.ft.com%2Fcms%2Fs%2F0%2F2aa7a12e-6709-11dd-808f-0000779fd18c.html%3Fnclick_check%3D1&_i_referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.democraticunderground. com%2Fdiscuss%2Fduboard.php%3Faz%3Dview_all%26addr ess%3D102x3433573&nclick_check=1

Just whose master plan is this?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?! Will this effect the missions of our troops?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!

theHawk
08-11-2008, 08:01 AM
I would of thought that China had long surpassed the US in manufacturing.

In part though we are to blame, we are the ones buying up all the "Made in China" crap....

Dilloduck
08-11-2008, 09:12 AM
It was “inevitable” that China would take over on account of its size

try again. It's NOT the size of China that is making the difference.

Abbey Marie
08-11-2008, 12:56 PM
A key question is, do Chinese manufacturers have to deal with unions?

April15
08-11-2008, 04:19 PM
The Three Gorges Dam on the Yangtze is to provide power enough to run the entire valley and monopolize manufacturing in the world.

Dilloduck
08-11-2008, 04:50 PM
The Three Gorges Dam on the Yangtze is to provide power enough to run the entire valley and monopolize manufacturing in the world.

Ya but I bet they had to kill a few snail darters to do it !!! :laugh2:

Dilloduck
08-11-2008, 05:00 PM
Ya but I bet they had to kill a few snail darters to do it !!! :laugh2:

So sorry--I keep fogetting some of you are too young to remember this eco-fiasco

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snail_darter_controversy

JohnDoe
08-11-2008, 05:11 PM
they don't have unions, they have SLAVE LABOR, work them 18 hours a day, pay them 3 bucks, keep them on a factory compound in many of the factories...and the women can have only one child, if they are pregnant again, their boss is required to report it and they are forced to abort.....

no, they don't have unions.....it is called COMMUNISM.

jd

Dilloduck
08-11-2008, 05:15 PM
they don't have unions, they have SLAVE LABOR, work them 18 hours a day, pay them 3 bucks, keep them on a factory compound in many of the factories...and the women can have only one child, if they are pregnant again, their boss is required to report it and they are forced to abort.....

jd

but it ain't so bad if your not a slave and don't want kids anyway. Just look at all the happy Chinese at the Olympics ! :laugh2:

April15
08-11-2008, 05:51 PM
Ya but I bet they had to kill a few snail darters to do it !!! :laugh2:Like the air in Bejing they will find out ecology does pay off but most likely too late for humanity.

Said1
08-11-2008, 05:53 PM

Apparently, Walmart does. :laugh2:

Dilloduck
08-11-2008, 05:59 PM
Like the air in Bejing they will find out ecology does pay off but most likely too late for humanity.

Ya but wait until they pay for those carbon credits !! Gore is gonna make a killing !

April15
08-11-2008, 06:02 PM
Ya but wait until they pay for those carbon credits !! Gore is gonna make a killing !Gore doesn't get the money. But the thought of China doing carbon credits is funny as hell!

Dilloduck
08-11-2008, 08:27 PM
Gore doesn't get the money. But the thought of China doing carbon credits is funny as hell!

oh really ?
http://www.canadafreepress.com/2007/cover031307.htm

April15
08-11-2008, 08:42 PM
oh really ?
http://www.canadafreepress.com/2007/cover031307.htm
I went and read the article. No where is it said or implied that carbon credit money is getting into the pocket of Gore or his silent partner.

manu1959
08-11-2008, 08:43 PM
I went and read the article. No where is it said or implied that carbon credit money is getting into the pocket of Gore or his silent partner.

Gore buys his carbon off-sets from himself--the Generation Investment Management LLP, "an independent, private, owner-managed partnership established in 2004 with offices in London and Washington, D.C." of which he is both chairman and founding partner.

April15
08-11-2008, 08:52 PM
Went to that site and What did I find but a very worthwhile company called;
generation

* about us
* investment philosophy
* our strategy
* news
* foundation
* contact us

* media
* thought leadership
* memberships & initiatives

Generation launched on 6 November, 2004.

* Press Release: Lombard Odier Darier Hentsch and Generation Investment Management sign a partnership in "sustainable investing". [PDF]
* Generation Press Release: Generation and Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers Create International Alliance to Accelerate Global Climate Solutions. Al Gore Joins KPCB as Partner and John Doerr Joins Generation's Advisory Board. [PDF]
* In the News: Generation has negotiated an exclusive alliance with Colonial First State, one of Australia's leading investment providers. This alliance provides Australian investors an opportunity to access Generation's unique sustainable investment approach. November 22, 2007.
* In the News: David Blood in Financial News on 9 September 2006: A New Climate for Investment.
* In the News: The following article appeared in The Wall Street Journal's Commentary section on 28 March 2006: For People and Planet.
* In the News: BBC World Service | Global Business' Peter Day offers rare interview with US Vice President Al Gore and Generation Managing Partner, David Blood [PDF], on corporate sustainability. 17 March 2006.
* Financial Times Comment and Analysis by David Blood and Al Gore [PDF], 7 July 2005.
* In the News: The next generation: David Blood, a former head of Goldman Sachs Asset Management, has pledged that his new venture will put sustainability at the heart of its long-term research process [PDF], Environmental Finance, December 2004 – January 2005.
* In the News: "Al Gore and fund manager David Blood tell Heather Stewart their new firm will back businesses that seem future-proof", The Sunday Observer (UK), 14 November 2004.
* In the News: A holistic search for ways to beat the market [PDF], Financial Times, 13 November 2004.
* In the News: Blood and Gore launch firm with a difference [PDF], Financial Times, 8 November 2004.
* Generation Press Release: Generation Announces Plans for New Investment Management Firm [PDF].

* privacy policy |
* terms of use |
* disclaimer and regulatory information |
* site map

Authorized and Regulated by the Financial Services Authority
© 2004-2008 Generation Investment Management LLP

Site by MANOVERBOARD

manu1959
08-11-2008, 08:55 PM
which he profits from ..... your claim was he did not.....

Went to that site and What did I find but a very worthwhile company called;
generation

* about us
* investment philosophy
* our strategy
* news
* foundation
* contact us

* media
* thought leadership
* memberships & initiatives

Generation launched on 6 November, 2004.

* Press Release: Lombard Odier Darier Hentsch and Generation Investment Management sign a partnership in "sustainable investing". [PDF]
* Generation Press Release: Generation and Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers Create International Alliance to Accelerate Global Climate Solutions. Al Gore Joins KPCB as Partner and John Doerr Joins Generation's Advisory Board. [PDF]
* In the News: Generation has negotiated an exclusive alliance with Colonial First State, one of Australia's leading investment providers. This alliance provides Australian investors an opportunity to access Generation's unique sustainable investment approach. November 22, 2007.
* In the News: David Blood in Financial News on 9 September 2006: A New Climate for Investment.
* In the News: The following article appeared in The Wall Street Journal's Commentary section on 28 March 2006: For People and Planet.
* In the News: BBC World Service | Global Business' Peter Day offers rare interview with US Vice President Al Gore and Generation Managing Partner, David Blood [PDF], on corporate sustainability. 17 March 2006.
* Financial Times Comment and Analysis by David Blood and Al Gore [PDF], 7 July 2005.
* In the News: The next generation: David Blood, a former head of Goldman Sachs Asset Management, has pledged that his new venture will put sustainability at the heart of its long-term research process [PDF], Environmental Finance, December 2004 – January 2005.
* In the News: "Al Gore and fund manager David Blood tell Heather Stewart their new firm will back businesses that seem future-proof", The Sunday Observer (UK), 14 November 2004.
* In the News: A holistic search for ways to beat the market [PDF], Financial Times, 13 November 2004.
* In the News: Blood and Gore launch firm with a difference [PDF], Financial Times, 8 November 2004.
* Generation Press Release: Generation Announces Plans for New Investment Management Firm [PDF].

* privacy policy |
* terms of use |
* disclaimer and regulatory information |
* site map

Authorized and Regulated by the Financial Services Authority
© 2004-2008 Generation Investment Management LLP

Site by MANOVERBOARD

Abbey Marie
08-12-2008, 11:49 AM

jd

And in a country of a billion people, they are thrilled to be able to earn that $3.

Slave labor is not the opposite of the stranglehold that unions have had on American manufacturers, as you seem to imply by your response.

The free market and competition are.

Kathianne
08-12-2008, 11:53 AM

Nope, China uses both slave labor and prison labor. The US is to blame also in not demanding quid pro quo open markets or at least something closer to.

OTOH, I'll wait for it to 'come to fruition'. I remember the same being said of Japan not so long ago.