PDA

View Full Version : How Is John McCain's Affair Different from John Edwards'?

-Cp
08-11-2008, 07:36 PM
A really good question....

http://www.alternet.org/election08/94550/how_is_john_mccain%27s_affair_different_from_john_ edwards%27/

Off the top of my head it does differ in the fact that he didn’t do this while running for the highest office in the land….

Not excusing his actions, just calling out one of the major differences…

darin
08-11-2008, 07:46 PM
Alexander the great and Ghegis Kahn are HORRIBLE examples for comparison.

-Cp
08-11-2008, 07:54 PM
Alexander the great and Ghegis Kahn are HORRIBLE examples for comparison.

I agree but...

Not sure that takes away from the argument that Edwards is getting treatment that McCain isnt....

darin
08-11-2008, 08:12 PM
Edwards isn't running for president. Did McCain deny it for months, then later admit it? What were the circumstances around it?

IMO, it's borderline apples and oranges.

-Cp
08-11-2008, 08:14 PM
Edwards isn't running for president. Did McCain deny it for months, then later admit it? What were the circumstances around it?

IMO, it's borderline apples and oranges.

But if we're talking about someone's general moral character to be President, then I think both dudes have failed...

Both went and cheated on their wives after each one's wife suffered some sort of tragedy...

darin
08-11-2008, 08:17 PM
Well, it's pretty difficult to say either one 'cheated' when you weren't in the marriage; that is to say, there's no telling how or if their wives behaved the same. The wives aren't necessarily victims.

hjmick
08-11-2008, 08:19 PM
But you have to remember McCain's tragedy as well. He had spent five years being tortured, that has to have an effect on a man. There are very few who returned fro Vietnam unchanged, and none of the POWs.

The bigger question is, in my opinion, has he been faithful to Cindy these many years? What occurred over thirty years ago is only barely relevant in my book.

manu1959
08-11-2008, 08:22 PM
did mccain lie about his affair.....does he try to claim the high moral ground when it comes to arriage......edwards did both.....

and as far as i can see mccain traded up and edwards had a lateral move.....

as for nailing someone other than your wife.....hey dude whatever floats your boat.....

so from where i sit ....mccain is the only one that nailed a hot chick.....oh and she was rich.......that shows excellent judgment

darin
08-11-2008, 08:23 PM
Plus...Cindy is pretty hot. :)

gabosaurus
08-11-2008, 09:43 PM
Plus...Cindy is pretty hot. :)

So McCain has a trophy wife. Another example of someone debating with their dick instead of their brain.

To answer the original question: The answer is that Edwards is a Democrat and McCain is a Republican.

-Cp
08-11-2008, 09:47 PM
So McCain has a trophy wife. Another example of someone debating with their dick instead of their brain.

To answer the original question: The answer is that Edwards is a Democrat and McCain is a Republican.

Okay... and their party affiliation has to do with what?

darin
08-11-2008, 09:52 PM

Maybe it's a case of two bitches as wives driving their man to the point where he doesn't give a rat's ass?

gabosaurus
08-11-2008, 09:55 PM
It's two men who cheated on their wives. I don't support either one. But if Edwards is (correctly) being roasted as a scumbag, why isn't McCain being equally roasted as a scumbag? Because he has a better looking trophy wife?
That is where the party affiliation comes in -- the scandal sheets and talking heads are primarily conservative.

Yurt
08-11-2008, 10:06 PM
did mccain lie about it? i guess that factor does not matter to gabs.

emmett
08-11-2008, 10:07 PM
A really good question....

http://www.alternet.org/election08/94550/how_is_john_mccain%27s_affair_different_from_john_ edwards%27/

Off the top of my head it does differ in the fact that he didn’t do this while running for the highest office in the land….

Not excusing his actions, just calling out one of the major differences…

First of all, JM's affair WAS NOT an affair
John Edwards affair WAS AN affair

John Edwards was running for President of the United Statesw of America when he LIED about the affair.

John Edwards was caught! He did not admit to shit. He was caught! Caufght in a motel in Beverley Hills after having just come from the room where he screwed the lady again and is again LYING about it!

John Edwards has fathered a child with this woman. You know it, I know it, we all know it!

John Edwards is a snake in the grass. Watch the video where he braggs about himself giving the speech. He really thinks alot of himself.

John Edwards wife is DYING! She is dying of cancer. Wow, what a guy!

There are few answers for you. If I may be of further assistance to you in this matter please do not hesitate to call upon me at any time!

-Cp
08-11-2008, 10:36 PM
First of all, JM's affair WAS NOT an affair
John Edwards affair WAS AN affair

John Edwards was running for President of the United Statesw of America when he LIED about the affair.

John Edwards was caught! He did not admit to shit. He was caught! Caufght in a motel in Beverley Hills after having just come from the room where he screwed the lady again and is again LYING about it!

John Edwards has fathered a child with this woman. You know it, I know it, we all know it!

John Edwards is a snake in the grass. Watch the video where he braggs about himself giving the speech. He really thinks alot of himself.

John Edwards wife is DYING! She is dying of cancer. Wow, what a guy!

There are few answers for you. If I may be of further assistance to you in this matter please do not hesitate to call upon me at any time!

All very true.. but both lack moral integrity to be President IMO...

emmett
08-11-2008, 10:39 PM

God I love this!

You are absolutely correct! Beyond a doubt. Here is my suggestion! Since you obviously have a boner for John McCain and certainly nust realize that Obama is a fake (I know you are far too intelligent to think otherwise) why don't you take a closer look at the Libertarian candidate, Bob Barr.

See you at the polls.

manu1959
08-11-2008, 10:54 PM

name someone who has the moral integrity....

emmett
08-11-2008, 11:00 PM
name someone who has the moral integrity....

Ah................................................ .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .......................Um......................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .......................................ah......... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...............................Well, ah maybe..............ah............................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. Abbey?

-Cp
08-11-2008, 11:16 PM
God I love this!

You are absolutely correct! Beyond a doubt. Here is my suggestion! Since you obviously have a boner for John McCain and certainly nust realize that Obama is a fake (I know you are far too intelligent to think otherwise) why don't you take a closer look at the Libertarian candidate, Bob Barr.

See you at the polls.

Huh?

Psychoblues
08-12-2008, 12:50 AM
From a moral POV there is no difference between the cheaters. Both had sick wives and both had national political aspirations, of which neither is justification for anything at all.

One gets a pass, the other gets roasted. But, again, no justifications for this either, IMHO.

-Cp
08-12-2008, 06:10 AM
did mccain lie about his affair.....does he try to claim the high moral ground when it comes to arriage......edwards did both.....

Uh... yeah.. he did lie about his affair...

In his 2002 memoir, "Worth the Fighting For," McCain wrote that he had separated from Carol before he began dating Hensley.

"I spent as much time with Cindy in Washington and Arizona as our jobs would allow," McCain wrote. "I was separated from Carol, but our divorce would not become final until February of 1980."

An examination of court documents tells a different story. McCain did not sue his wife for divorce until Feb. 19, 1980, and he wrote in his court petition that he and his wife had "cohabited" until Jan. 7 of that year -- or for the first nine months of his relationship with Hensley.

Although McCain suggested in his autobiography that months passed between his divorce and remarriage, the divorce was granted April 2, 1980, and he wed Hensley in a private ceremony five weeks later. McCain obtained an Arizona marriage license on March 6, 1980, while still legally married to his first wife.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-divorce11-2008jul11,0,6546861.story?ln=enus

theHawk
08-12-2008, 08:06 AM
Oh wow, so McCain was in the middle of getting a divorce when he started dating Cindy. OMG, scandalous!!!

Its rediculous to compare that to a man who was running for President and was cheating and lying about it. The arrogance of Edwards doing this is really appauling. But nothing stops liberals in their quest for power, Edwards is proof of that.

retiredman
08-12-2008, 08:22 AM
Oh wow, so McCain was in the middle of getting a divorce when he started dating Cindy. OMG, scandalous!!!

Its rediculous to compare that to a man who was running for President and was cheating and lying about it. The arrogance of Edwards doing this is really appauling. But nothing stops liberals in their quest for power, Edwards is proof of that.

that's not quite accurate. He was living with his wife for nine months while he was boinking Cindy... clearly she was a homewrecker and he moved on to greener pastures. I am not suggesting that his marriage was ideal, only that he lived with his wife, as husband and wife, while he was carrying on with another woman. People here make a big deal about the fact that he never lied about it to the press, but is anyone going to suggest that he didn't lie about it to his wife for nine months?

Sitarro
08-12-2008, 09:24 AM
It's two men who cheated on their wives. I don't support either one. But if Edwards is (correctly) being roasted as a scumbag, why isn't McCain being equally roasted as a scumbag? Because he has a better looking trophy wife?
That is where the party affiliation comes in -- the scandal sheets and talking heads are primarily conservative.

Read a little about Cindy McCain, she is a lot more than a trophy wife and has accomplished more than Michelle, Hillary and Nancy combined.

darin
08-12-2008, 09:26 AM
It's two men who cheated on their wives.

Maybe it's two wives who cheated on their men, and their men followed suit?

JohnDoe
08-12-2008, 09:53 AM
Maybe it's two wives who cheated on their men, and their men followed suit?

Good morning Dmp

But don't you think if this were the case with Edward's wife and Mccain's wife that this would have come out? I do.

So in these particular men's situations, I do not believe it was the women in the marriage that were the cheaters because if they were, I believe we would have heard about it.

Not that this could not be the case in other situations or for other couples....i believe i read that women are coming closer to men, on infidelity numbers....nowadays.

jd

darin
08-12-2008, 09:58 AM
It would not come out because the only vow people seem to care about being broken are the vow to forsake all others. Nobody would care if she came out and said "Well, I stopped loving and cherrishing him..."

Abbey Marie
08-12-2008, 11:52 AM
Maybe it's a case of two bitches as wives driving their man to the point where he doesn't give a rat's ass?

If the marriage is intolerable, they either need to work harder on it, or divorce. An affair is not acceptable behavior regardless.

GW in Ohio
08-12-2008, 12:41 PM
But you have to remember McCain's tragedy as well. He had spent five years being tortured, that has to have an effect on a man. There are very few who returned fro Vietnam unchanged, and none of the POWs.

The bigger question is, in my opinion, has he been faithful to Cindy these many years? What occurred over thirty years ago is only barely relevant in my book.

You bring up a relevant point.

No one knows what lasting effects McCain's 5 years as a POW will have on him.

I have a number of reasons for voting against McCain. One of them is that he is "damaged goods." By that I mean he has gone through so much stress and abuse at the hands of the North Vietnamese, I think it's taken too much out of him.

When I say McCain is "damaged goods," that is in no way a slam at him. He served honorably, endured more than almost anyone else, and should be respected for his service.

I think he's fine as a senator. But I do not think, given his age and how much he's had to endure, that he has the endurance and stamina to be president.

hjmick
08-12-2008, 12:53 PM

I have a number of reasons for voting against McCain. One of them is that he is "damaged goods." By that I mean he has gone through so much stress and abuse at the hands of the North Vietnamese, I think it's taken too much out of him.

When I say McCain is "damaged goods," that is in no way a slam at him. He served honorably, endured more than almost anyone else, and should be respected for his service.

I think he's fine as a senator. But I do not think, given his age and how much he's had to endure, that he has the endurance and stamina to be president.

I would view that as a valid argument, not for me personally, but I couldn't tell you you're wrong or that that particular POV is wrong. I think he could do four years, which is all I think he'll get if he wins this election.

Trigg
08-12-2008, 01:06 PM

Actually I think hjmick summed it up pretty well in post 7.

McCain's was 30 years ago after coming back from being a POW for 5 years. He hasn't lied about it.

Edwards lied about it and tried to hide it. There's the difference IMO.

darin
08-12-2008, 01:57 PM
If the marriage is intolerable, they either need to work harder on it, or divorce. An affair is not acceptable behavior regardless.

The point is this: It's stupid to accuse/blame ANYONE when we have no idea what happened. If people are fair-minded they'd stop judging either man, without their spouse. Know what I mean? An Affair is no worse than, say, spousal emotional or physical neglect. Withholding is the SAME as an affair - both rob the other spouse of what's rightfully theirs (the neglecting/affair-having spouses' body/soul/affections).

Therefore, It's pure arrogance for folk to sit back and judge EITHER man as being 'the blamed' and consoling the 'poor cheated-on wives' while having NO knowledge of their spouses' behaviour.

Sitarro
08-12-2008, 05:08 PM

Judging from Obama's books, he's damaged goods. His upbringing, being the son of an African that dumped he and his mother. A mother that dumped him on his white grandparents who tried to raise him white when all he wanted was to fit in as black. Poor Obama, he doesn't know who or what he is and had to do drugs to try to find himself. After that he spent 20 years in the most racist "church" I have ever heard of, listening to how evil America and white people are, 20 YEARS! He has surrounded himself with people that all hate America and or white people.... That is who you support, that's funny.

Kathianne
08-12-2008, 05:23 PM
There is no equivalency, IMO. McCain's 'wrongs' were eons ago. Before he really made 'a name for himself.'

Edwards, 'in the midst of campaign for presidency', that's his venue/timing. Big difference.

In any case, McCain's ex not only forgave him, she endorses him. Well then so does Edward's Elizabeth, though he's no longer running and not even going to the convention.

LuvRPgrl
08-12-2008, 11:02 PM
But if we're talking about someone's general moral character to be President, then I think both dudes have failed...

Both went and cheated on their wives after each one's wife suffered some sort of tragedy...

IM not sure of the details of McCains "affair". He did go on and wind up marrying the woman, is Edwards going to marry that woman?

Yes, it is a huge difference. If McCain's marriage was all but over except actually going through the legal paperwork, it does talk to character.

As for that link, the guy is obviously a partisan hack and an idiot. His points wouldnt hold water any better than a pasta strainer.

LuvRPgrl
08-12-2008, 11:05 PM
There is no equivalency, IMO. McCain's 'wrongs' were eons ago. Before he really made 'a name for himself.'

Edwards, 'in the midst of campaign for presidency', that's his venue/timing. Big difference.

In any case, McCain's ex not only forgave him, she endorses him. Well then so does Edward's Elizabeth, though he's no longer running and not even going to the convention.

Edwards wife has everything to gain by forgiving and endorsing him, and everything to lose by not doing so. With J McCain, his ex had nothing to gain by supporting him after all was said and done.

Edwards wife is obviously going to do the politically expedient thing, dont think she isnt as every bit coniving and ambitious as he is. Im also willing to bet that when his political career is on the wane, she will divorce him.

GW in Ohio
08-13-2008, 08:59 AM
Judging from Obama's books, he's damaged goods. His upbringing, being the son of an African that dumped he and his mother. A mother that dumped him on his white grandparents who tried to raise him white when all he wanted was to fit in as black. Poor Obama, he doesn't know who or what he is and had to do drugs to try to find himself. After that he spent 20 years in the most racist "church" I have ever heard of, listening to how evil America and white people are, 20 YEARS! He has surrounded himself with people that all hate America and or white people.... That is who you support, that's funny.

sitarro: You're either not very bright or you're being deliberately obtuse.

My point was that John McCain is too old and has endured too much abuse to be an effective president. He should stay in the Senate.

Obama, on the hand, is much younger and much more energetic.

The horse manure you brought up about Obama's upbringing has nothing to do with the point, which is that Obama is much more equipped to deal with the rigors and stresses of the presidency than McCain.

Immanuel
08-13-2008, 09:05 AM

Good point, but when you get right down to it, whom among us truly qualifies for the job? I will say that I believe no one in politics, especially national politics today, can come near to qualifying.

Immie

Kathianne
08-13-2008, 09:12 AM

My point was that John McCain is too old and has endured too much abuse to be an effective president. He should stay in the Senate.

The horse manure you brought up about Obama's upbringing has nothing to do with the point, which is that Obama is much more equipped to deal with the rigors and stresses of the presidency than McCain.

Age alone shouldn't be the determining factor. Noticeable that age is the factor mentioned by yourself regarding Obama. "Vote Obama! He'll likely live through office." Not effective.

Abbey Marie
08-13-2008, 09:39 AM
The point is this: It's stupid to accuse/blame ANYONE when we have no idea what happened. If people are fair-minded they'd stop judging either man, without their spouse. Know what I mean? An Affair is no worse than, say, spousal emotional or physical neglect. Withholding is the SAME as an affair - both rob the other spouse of what's rightfully theirs (the neglecting/affair-having spouses' body/soul/affections).

Therefore, It's pure arrogance for folk to sit back and judge EITHER man as being 'the blamed' and consoling the 'poor cheated-on wives' while having NO knowledge of their spouses' behaviour.

There is truth in your statement that we never really know what goes on in a marriage. Perhaps Edwards was in a living hell of a marraige, we don't know. Regardless, my belief remains that people in these marriages should work to better them, agree to stay together for the sake of the kids, or divorce. There is still no excuse for an affair. We will have to disagree on this.

darin
08-13-2008, 09:55 AM
There is truth in your statement that we never really know what goes on in a marriage. Perhaps Edwards was in a living hell of a marraige, we don't know. Regardless, my belief remains that people in these marriages should work to better them, agree to stay together for the sake of the kids, or divorce. There is still no excuse for an affair. We will have to disagree on this.

We don't disagree. There's no excuse for breaking ANY vows. I'm saying it's very easy for folk to stand by and point fingers at Edwards for (gasp! Oh the huge manitee!) his broken promises. The vow he broke is no worse than anyone breaking ANY vows. All broken vows damage relationships. He's no less-fit for public office as anyone who has ever broken a single promise. His sin is no worse than me not-loving my wife as I should in action and in attitude. People sit back and point out his obvious failure with an "Ah-HA!" attitude - from a perpsective of righteousness and justice. Yet, they don't take into account anything his WIFE may have done. They are ONE. Inseperable. There's cause and effect. Not excuses. Just cause and effect.

I suppose I get a sense of a false moral high-ground on the part of the finger pointers. Some take GLEE in Edwards' sin/failure. I take pity. I pity their marriage and the strife contained therein. I feel empathy for him AND her, because both have opened up their marriage to crazy amounts of pain and frustration and stress. I'd bet money his adultry would be the least of their problems - the greatest of their problems likely made his adultry easier.

make sense?

JohnDoe
08-13-2008, 11:10 AM
We don't disagree. There's no excuse for breaking ANY vows. I'm saying it's very easy for folk to stand by and point fingers at Edwards for (gasp! Oh the huge manitee!) his broken promises. The vow he broke is no worse than anyone breaking ANY vows. All broken vows damage relationships. He's no less-fit for public office as anyone who has ever broken a single promise. His sin is no worse than me not-loving my wife as I should in action and in attitude. People sit back and point out his obvious failure with an "Ah-HA!" attitude - from a perpsective of righteousness and justice. Yet, they don't take into account anything his WIFE may have done. They are ONE. Inseperable. There's cause and effect. Not excuses. Just cause and effect.

I suppose I get a sense of a false moral high-ground on the part of the finger pointers. Some take GLEE in Edwards' sin/failure. I take pity. I pity their marriage and the strife contained therein. I feel empathy for him AND her, because both have opened up their marriage to crazy amounts of pain and frustration and stress. I'd bet money his adultry would be the least of their problems - the greatest of their problems likely made his adultry easier.

make sense?

The only vow that has been against the law regarding marriage is adultery I believe???

and the only vow religiously that has been singled out is adultery.... the other marriage vows are just made up by man....to love and to cherrish, in sickness and in health etc.....no???

darin
08-13-2008, 11:25 AM
The only vow that has been against the law regarding marriage is adultery I believe???

and the only vow religiously that has been singled out is adultery.... the other marriage vows are just made up by man....to love and to cherrish, in sickness and in health etc.....no???

Where is Adultery illegal in the USA?

If the vow against adultry is God-given (not man made) the other vows are too. And regardless, a VOW is vow - no matter the source. If I vowed to give my wife a backrub every day, and failed to do so, I'd be a vow-breaker. I'd be cheating her out of what was promised.

LuvRPgrl
08-15-2008, 09:02 PM

Sitarro is neither "no very bright" or obtuse, about this.

Your statement is irrelevent and carries no weight.

How old is too old? A persons health is what is important, not his age.

Suffered abuse? So, are you saying a woman who has been raped cant serve as President? The amount of abuse is also irrelevant, its how one responds to it that matters. Please tell me how McCain responded to his abuse, please tell me something about his character or abilities that are lacking, that are a result of that abuse. It can be told what positives have come from that abuse.

If you cant come up with something specific, then it is merely demonstrating that you are grasping at straws and just dont want McCain to win.

LuvRPgrl
08-15-2008, 09:09 PM
Based on past experience, nobody here would expect you to even consider, much less understand or admit, solid rational reasons why there is a HUGE difference between the two.

Just another day in paradise.