PDA

View Full Version : *cough* BS *cough*

Yurt
03-11-2007, 05:39 PM
Immigration raids split families

HOUSTON - They are the hidden side of the government's stepped-up efforts to track down and deport illegal immigrants: Toddlers stranded at day care centers or handed over to ill-equipped relatives. Siblings suddenly left in charge of younger brothers and sisters.

When illegal-immigrant parents are swept up in raids on homes and workplaces, the children are sometimes left behind — a complication that underscores the difficulty in enforcing immigration laws against people who have put down roots and begun raising families in the U.S.

Three million American-born children have at least one parent who is an illegal immigrant; one in 10 American families has mixed immigration status, meaning at least one member is an immigrant here illegally, according to the Pew Center for Hispanic Research and the office of U.S. Rep. Jose Serrano (news, bio, voting record). Children born in the U.S. are automatically American citizens and are not subject to deportation.

This past week in Massachusetts, most of the 361 workers picked up in a raid at a New Bedford leather-goods factory that made vests and backpacks for the U.S. military were women with children, setting off what Democratic Gov. Deval Patrick called a "humanitarian crisis."

Community activists scrambled to locate the children, offer infant-care tips to fathers unfamiliar with warming formula and changing diapers, and gather donations of baby supplies. One baby who was breast-feeding had to be hospitalized for dehydration because her mother remained in detention, authorities said.

Child-care arrangements had to be made for at least 35 youngsters.

Officials of the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement division released at least 60 of the workers who were sole caregivers to children, but more than 200 were sent to detention centers in Texas and New Mexico.

"What is going to happen to the children? These children are American-born," said Helena Marques, executive director of the Immigrant Assistance Center in New Bedford. "There are hundreds of children out there without their moms, in tremendous need. These babies have become the victims of a problem that legislators can't seem to fix."

One mother was located in Texas after her 7-year-old child called a state hot line set up to help reunite the families, authorities said. The Massachusetts governor said the woman would be returned to Massachusetts.

Massachusetts sent 37 social workers to Texas on Saturday to interview some of the women under arrest. Massachusetts Health and Human Services Secretary JudyAnn Bigby said the parents must be interviewed to make sure their youngsters are staying with responsible adults.

Authorities said some of the women might be so afraid their youngsters will be taken away that they have refused to disclose they have children.

ICE officials defended their handling of the raid, saying ICE made arrangements in advance with social service agencies to care for the children. ICE spokesman Marc Raimondi said all immigrants arrested by ICE are interviewed to determine if they are the sole parent of their children. ICE then can grant humanitarian releases, as they did in 60 cases in Massachusetts.

"We can only base our response by what we are learning by (the state Department of Social Services). What DSS has told us is they are not aware of any child who was left in an inappropriate or risky setting, nor have they had to put any child in foster care," Raimondi said.

As for the parents' ultimate fate, being a single parent or the family breadwinner offers no special protection against deportation, said another ICE spokesman, Mike Keegan.

"They made a decision to come into the country illegally," he said. "It's hard to believe that someone would not know of the consequences when they get caught."

U.S. Rep. William Delahunt (news, bio, voting record) said Sunday there would be a Congressional investigation into the raid.

Many of the New Bedford children are in the care of friends or relatives, who are juggling families and jobs of their own. One woman, who asked not to be identified for fear it would put her family in greater legal jeopardy, is looking after the three children of her sister, one of the workers detained in the raid. The children's father and another sister take turns watching the children.

"My sister calls every morning asking about her children," the woman said in Spanish. "She is usually a happy person, but now she is so depressed because she is separated from them, and they are so small."

Two of the children, 4-year-old Angel and 1-year-old Amanda, are U.S. citizens. A 17-year-old came with his mother from Guatemala. Their mother, who came to the United States 10 years ago, has worked in the factory for two years.

"The children go to sleep crying and asking for their mother. They feel her absence," the woman said. "And we can do is wait and wait, and hope they don't deport her."

Under pressure to crack down on illegal immigrants, ICE has intensified enforcement activity around the country. The efforts have yielded results — since last May, one particular crackdown, called Operation Return to Sender, has snared 13,000 people, while other federal initiatives have caught thousands of others. But the raids have led to a growing outcry from immigrant advocates and activists who say thousands of families are being split apart.

After nearly 1,300 people were arrested in December in raids at Swift & Co. meatpacking plants in Texas, Colorado, Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska and Utah, community activists reported hearing of scores of children left on their own. Swift donated $300,000 to United Way agencies to help the families affected by the raids.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070311/ap_on_re_us/divided_families

Yurt
03-11-2007, 05:40 PM
When you break the law, you go to jail/prison or in this case, deported. Why don't they bitch about drug dealers being put behind bars and splitting the family up?

:lame2:

LiberalNation
03-11-2007, 05:44 PM
They do when it's woman being put in jail away from their kids.

Not bullshit, it does split familes up but that's just a risk you run by being here without the proper government paperwork.

Yurt
03-11-2007, 05:56 PM
They do when it's woman being put in jail away from their kids.

Not bullshit, it does split familes up but that's just a risk you run by being here without the proper government paperwork.

So you agree then, break the law and risk the family?

LiberalNation
03-11-2007, 05:57 PM
Yes I agree.

Yurt
03-11-2007, 05:59 PM
Yes I agree.

Do you then agree that the article was slanted to make it look like the US was a "bad guy" for taking these people "in?" If not, why? Why are there no articles about mothers who murder and get sent to jail, mothers who deal crack, etc.... Mothers and Fathers who do this or that....

Just curious.

LiberalNation
03-11-2007, 06:03 PM
Maybe bias or maybe they just did it because it would make a good story which would sell. Kinda sad and shocking, kids seperated from their families, left alone.

03-11-2007, 06:13 PM
commiting crimes always splits families.

Moral: Don't break the law!

Yurt
03-11-2007, 06:14 PM
Maybe bias or maybe they just did it because it would make a good story which would sell. Kinda sad and shocking, kids seperated from their families, left alone.

So the latter is not bias? The latter is true, not yellow journalism?

Seems to have worked on you though.

gabosaurus
03-11-2007, 06:23 PM
Splitting families is splitting families. Doesn't matter how it happens.
I love the overt racism of you guys. Very entertaining. :salute:

Yurt
03-11-2007, 06:25 PM

WHOA. Prove it or shut up. Don't make a flippin comment like that as if that proves your sorry point you could not make so you scream some insult. There is no racism in this thread. You are liar....saurus.

gabosaurus
03-11-2007, 06:38 PM
Then what is the thread about? More Mexican-bashing, of course. To go along with the homophobia, black-bashing and the Muslim-bashing.
I feel sorry for your kids, having to growing without realizing the diversity of our nation. Instead, you teach them to hate.
Stupid is as stupid does.

Hobbit
03-11-2007, 06:41 PM
Then what is the thread about? More Mexican-bashing, of course. To go along with the homophobia, black-bashing and the Muslim-bashing.
I feel sorry for your kids, having to growing without realizing the diversity of our nation. Instead, you teach them to hate.

This is about law-breaking. People are breaking the law. I would like them not to break the law. I don't care if that person is gay, straight, black, white, yellow, green, red, purple, or blue. That person should be forced to suffer the consequences. I find it very idiotic that any time you have no way to counter anyone's argument, you call that person a racist. If you did that around here, you'd be slapped.

Yurt
03-11-2007, 06:45 PM

Wow. You sound like the racist. Because I make a post about law breakers you play the race card?????

Oh, I forgot, in your mind only whites are bad.

How sad. People break the law and you shout "racism." What a citizen you are.

gabosaurus
03-11-2007, 06:48 PM
If you said the things you say in my neighborhood, you would be stabbed.
If our politicians (Dems and GOP) would solve the problem, we would have to deal with who is legal and who is not. Until we solve the problem, we need to learn to co-exist.
The area of Anaheim where I grew up is about 60 percent Mexican. Some are migrants. Many are probably illegals. The vast majority cause no trouble at all.
Unless they are confronted by rednecks.

Hobbit
03-11-2007, 06:50 PM

What things? That the law needs to be obeyed? If you say that the government needs to do something, then how come you continue to embrace the view that we need to feel bad when the government DOES do something?

Oh, and I'd like to see them try to stab me. I've fought off worse that a few San Fran pussies.

Yurt
03-11-2007, 06:58 PM
If our politicians (Dems and GOP) would solve the problem, we would have to deal with who is legal and who is not. Until we solve the problem, we need to learn to co-exist.
The area of Anaheim where I grew up is about 60 percent Mexican. Some are migrants. Many are probably illegals. The vast majority cause no trouble at all.

You are an idiot! I, being white, was MINORITY at my inner city San Diego schooling. Sure, some wanted the illegal way, but guess what, MOST of the mexicans who worked their ass off to get here the LEGAL way, don't like those [carpet baggers].

I don't believe you actually have a clue about "race" or mexicans. My wife's coworker is from mexico and before she married her husband (now four kids) she asked him for his green card.

Oh, but she is a racist.

Idiot

gabosaurus
03-11-2007, 06:59 PM
I'm not from San Francisco. And besides, I'm a girl.
I'll let you fight my brother in law instead. You would enjoy that. He's a Mexican.

Hugh Lincoln
03-11-2007, 07:00 PM
The vast majority cause no trouble at all.

Right. Look who's calling everyone a 'racist'.

gabosaurus
03-11-2007, 07:03 PM
I don't believe you actually have a clue about "race" or mexicans. My wife's coworker is from mexico and before she married her husband (now four kids) she asked [b]him for his green cardB].

How remarkably romantic! :clap:
When my uncle decided to marry this Mexican girl he met about 30 years or so ago, he didn't ask for her green card. Nor did my sister ask.
Most Mexican immigrants are very hard working. Legal or not.

Yurt
03-11-2007, 07:14 PM
I don't believe you actually have a clue about "race" or mexicans. My wife's coworker is from mexico and before she married her husband (now four kids) she asked [b]him for his green cardB].

When my uncle decided to marry this Mexican girl he met about 30 years or so ago, he didn't ask for her green card. Nor did my sister ask.

Guess what, she and her FOUR kids never have to worry about whether their dad is breaking the law.

Oooops, those crack whores work hard at some time too.......

Yurt
03-11-2007, 07:16 PM

She hates idiots like you. Just so you know you are spouting your OWN ideas, not hers.

But I will let her know (well when Yarn gets back from Canada) that you said that. I am sure she will have something to you gringo.

Merlin
03-12-2007, 01:35 PM

What is being a redneck have to do with anything?? Are you saying that you are prejudice against rednecks and that you are being a racist?

03-12-2007, 02:53 PM

Who the heck is racist? The people who want people to come here legally and integrate in society as equal or the ones who want to create an under class of people for their own personal politicla purposes?

Like I said, crimes always split up families. It's a fact. But the choice isn't the governments, its the people who commit the crimes.

03-12-2007, 02:57 PM

So your admit your neighborhood is a bunch of violent bigots and criminals.

If they are here illegally they are breaking the law period. That makes them a criminals. Period. It doesnt matter if the came here illegally from Mexico, China, Canada, Russia, Italy or any other nation under the sun. They are breaking the law.

03-12-2007, 02:59 PM
You are an idiot! I, being white, was MINORITY at my inner city San Diego schooling. Sure, some wanted the illegal way, but guess what, MOST of the mexicans who worked their ass off to get here the LEGAL way, don't like those [carpet baggers].

I don't believe you actually have a clue about "race" or mexicans. My wife's coworker is from mexico and before she married her husband (now four kids) she asked him for his green card.

Oh, but she is a racist.

Idiot

This is what is sad about liberals. There is no justification for any of their arguments so they have to resort to ad hominen attacks.

gabosaurus
03-12-2007, 04:24 PM
At least we can be wrong about our own opinions. Conservatives have to be told what opinions to be wrong about.
"Ditto Rush! I completely agree with you!"

Nukeman
03-12-2007, 05:09 PM

How is it rascist??? When the people your talking about , I will type real slow here

B R O K E T H E L A W. was that slow enough for you??? Do you just not understand that simple fact????

:lame2:

Hugh Lincoln
03-12-2007, 05:58 PM
I'm not from San Francisco. And besides, I'm a girl.
I'll let you fight my brother in law instead. You would enjoy that. He's a Mexican.

Not sure I've ever seen someone lose this badly in a thread before. Now you're siccing Mexicans on us, in the name of "liberal tolerance"?

I think the gang's still waiting for an explanation of how enforcing the immigration laws is "racist."

But don't exhaust yourself. You'll have to then debate me on why racism is such a bad thing.

03-12-2007, 07:59 PM
At least we can be wrong about our own opinions. Conservatives have to be told what opinions to be wrong about.
"Ditto Rush! I completely agree with you!"

Again with the insults.

Rush has some interesting things to say but I dont know one person who believes things simply because he tells them to. In fact, he has never told people to believe anything. He simply shares his point of view.

Of course, its much easier to just dismiss him and anyone who listens to him as lunatic brainwashed morons than actually deal with the substance of what he has to say.