PDA

View Full Version : Fishing

jimnyc
08-12-2008, 10:37 AM
Took my son to the marina this morning to do a little fishing off the pier they have. He's been fishing before but it was always spur of the moment things, and generally with other peoples tackle. I got him his own little pole and reel, bought some minnows and off we went.

You won't get much off of a pier in a marina, but he caught 3 snappers. Little guys but you'd think he caught a shark from his excitement. I only caught one and he's already declared himself a better fisherman! This was his first real "trip" and his first catch. Too bad they were fish only slightly larger than the bait! I'll have to hunt around and find a place to take him for some Largemouth (not OCA) Bass. :)

All in all, was fun to spend some time with him.

darin
08-12-2008, 10:45 AM
I've never caught a fish. Sounds like fun!

Kathianne
08-12-2008, 10:47 AM

I've caught several, but never baited a hook or took one off the hook! Ewww. Never cleaned a fish either, though I can filet them.

jimnyc
08-12-2008, 10:49 AM

Never? How is that possible? Everyone goes fishing!

I've caught several, but never baited a hook or took one off the hook! Ewww. Never cleaned a fish either, though I can filet them.

Jordan hooked one by his eyeball this morning, and needless to say, Daddy got "fish guts" all over him!

Kathianne
08-12-2008, 11:02 AM
Never? How is that possible? Everyone goes fishing!

My uncle, a priest was an avid fisherman. He'd take my brother and I out a few times a summer. He always was 'shushing' me, once he threw me overboard, I was about 8 and on the swim team. Of course when I got in the boat I told him my splash scared away the fish, not my mouth! :laugh2:

Jordan hooked one by his eyeball this morning, and needless to say, Daddy got "fish guts" all over him!

I do believe I could get sick. LOL!

dan
08-12-2008, 11:06 AM
Ha, sounds fun. I always liked going up to the lake with Dad when he had that pontoon boat, though I think he probably thinks I didn't like it that much.

Monkeybone
08-12-2008, 12:00 PM
i haven't been fishing in a long time...not that i was that fond of it, but it was good times with my Dad and Grandpa. Jimmy if you really wanna have a good time, you need to try spearing, that is where the fun is at.

gabosaurus
08-12-2008, 12:00 PM
My husband's father is a huge fishing enthusiast. He has taken my daughter a couple of times and she loves it. Not really the fishing part. Just the "sitting in a boat while grandpa tells you stories" part. :D

KitchenKitten99
08-12-2008, 01:50 PM

I was taught very early on (like 7 or so) how to do everything in relation to fishing. Otherwise I couldn't go. I had to know how to set up my own line, bait my own hook (I refuse to use grubs tho...I just can't touch them), take my own fish off, and filet my own fish.

I love fishing, but I don't have much time for it. I will when the kids are older and they can do a little more.

Kathianne
08-12-2008, 02:01 PM
I was taught very early on (like 7 or so) how to do everything in relation to fishing. Otherwise I couldn't go. I had to know how to set up my own line, bait my own hook (I refuse to use grubs tho...I just can't touch them), take my own fish off, and filet my own fish.

I love fishing, but I don't have much time for it. I will when the kids are older and they can do a little more.

I guess I was more a princess. LOL! My brother got those things. Then again, he also had to wash dishes, as I would throw up if my hands touched floating things.

Those were good times! Now, well I deal with all sorts of icky.

Joan
08-12-2008, 02:07 PM
Guess daddy will be cooking fish for dinner

OCA
08-12-2008, 02:43 PM

You've never caught any tuna?:laugh2:

OCA
08-12-2008, 02:46 PM
Took my son to the marina this morning to do a little fishing off the pier they have. He's been fishing before but it was always spur of the moment things, and generally with other peoples tackle. I got him his own little pole and reel, bought some minnows and off we went.

You won't get much off of a pier in a marina, but he caught 3 snappers. Little guys but you'd think he caught a shark from his excitement. I only caught one and he's already declared himself a better fisherman! This was his first real "trip" and his first catch. Too bad they were fish only slightly larger than the bait! I'll have to hunt around and find a place to take him for some Largemouth (not OCA) Bass. :)

Excellent Jimmy! My boy just passed his hunter's safety on Sunday so he's all fired up for hunting season which starts in 3 weeks, he loves fishing also but ain't got the finer points yet.

BTW :finger3: for the largemouth comment, that shit ain't right.:poke:

jackass
08-12-2008, 03:32 PM
Very cool Jim! I think I know exactly where you went. I grew up on catching snappers! They are great fun. Give it another month or so and they will be pretty good size!

Mr. P
08-12-2008, 05:41 PM

I'll make you a promise Jim, your son will ALWAYS remember this trip and it will always be bigger than any fish he ever catches! :thumb: