PDA

View Full Version : Bipolar

jimnyc
08-12-2008, 12:00 PM
Do most people even know what it is?

Some think they're bothering me by tossing around the fact that my doctor diagnosed me with this. It's simply a "mood disorder" that is pretty easily controlled with medications. Even without, for me, it just means I might get into a bad mood, without reason, at any time. Or maybe get depressed every now and again without reason. He said my brain never stops working, even when I rest, and this is what causes anxiety after awhile.

Other notables that have had bipolar, and to show how "bad" of a thing it is:

Patrick Kennedy
Patty Duke
Jane Pauley
Carrie Fisher
Axl Rose
Linda Hamilton
Sting
Vivien Leigh
Burgess Meredith
Ben Stiller
Peter Gabriel
Ted Turner
Ludwig Van Beethoven
Winston Churchill
Charles Dickens
Ralph Waldo Emerson

And the list goes on and on...

Joan
08-12-2008, 02:09 PM
There are many, many ver smart peoplr suffering from bi-polar!

Kathianne
08-12-2008, 02:12 PM

Understood. Many very smart people suffering from depression also. We are too quick to kick out the obvious.

hjmick
08-12-2008, 02:16 PM
Approximately 2.3 million adult Americans are diagnosed with bipolar. I married to one of them.

jackass
08-12-2008, 03:35 PM

Too bad Jim is not one of them!!!

:laugh2: :finger3:

Mr. P
08-12-2008, 05:29 PM
I think the saddest thing about bipolar is the lack of diagnoses.
I know someone that has had test after test by Dr. after Dr. for 27 years and has always been diagnosed normal or just depressed. They have finally discovered the true cause of my friends misery is bipolar. I can't imagine going through the yrs of frustration and agony knowing something was wrong, while in effect, no one really listened!

CockySOB
08-12-2008, 08:58 PM
Considering I'm manic depressive as well, it's no surprise to me. Most of us are simply labeled "eccentric" or "moody" and go through life self-medicating such as we can. The depression is usually easy to spot, but the mania is the tougher diagnosis.

Psychoblues
08-13-2008, 06:52 PM
Holyy crap!!!!!!! jimnyc, bipolar!!!!!!! CSOB is too!!!!!! They tell me that I am also bipolar, manic depressive!!!!!!! I always thought that was a problem pretty much relegated to liberals!!!!! I've always just refered to it as being active and passionate about certain things!!!!!!!

What kind of meds do you take, jimnyc? CSOB already says that he self medicates. My doc put me on lithium for a while. I don't consider lithium a medication but more a simple mineral. I know that I can't take lithium so I go the CSOB thing as well.

BiPolar is not life threatening or even job threatening in most cases. It just means that we don't handle depression and anxiety the same as most do. Although I never like the depression stage, I just love the manic one although I can sometimes leave a trail of unhappiness behind me as I return to the normal phase of it. I understand that is just what we do.

Deal with it the best you can, jimnyc, CSOB and any others similarly affected. This is one monkey that won't stop no show, can you dig it??!???!?!?

CockySOB
08-14-2008, 05:40 AM
Holyy crap!!!!!!! jimnyc, bipolar!!!!!!! CSOB is too!!!!!! They tell me that I am also bipolar, manic depressive!!!!!!! I always thought that was a problem pretty much relegated to liberals!!!!! I've always just refered to it as being active and passionate about certain things!!!!!!!

What kind of meds do you take, jimnyc? CSOB already says that he self medicates. My doc put me on lithium for a while. I don't consider lithium a medication but more a simple mineral. I know that I can't take lithium so I go the CSOB thing as well.

BiPolar is not life threatening or even job threatening in most cases. It just means that we don't handle depression and anxiety the same as most do. Although I never like the depression stage, I just love the manic one although I can sometimes leave a trail of unhappiness behind me as I return to the normal phase of it. I understand that is just what we do.

Deal with it the best you can, jimnyc, CSOB and any others similarly affected. This is one monkey that won't stop no show, can you dig it??!???!?!?

Actually, I don't "self-medicate" - I have a regular prescription, but I'm not on the meds 24x7x365. So far the changes I've made in my lifestyle to reduce stressors and increase my health (eating and exercise) have helped me control the manic depression pretty well. When I made the comment about self-medication I was referring to the vast numbers of people who have a form of manic depression but never get treated for it.

It's a bitch to be sure, but it's manageable.