PDA

View Full Version : Worth Pondering

Kathianne
08-12-2008, 12:38 PM
http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=ZDgxNzdjMGQwN2Y0ZTA5NmUxNmZhNGNmNzc4YmE3YzE=

Leadership [John Derbyshire]

I agree with this:

As Chamberlain gave a war guarantee to Poland he could not honor, the United States began to hand out NATO war guarantees to six Warsaw Pact nations, the three Baltic republics, and, soon, Ukraine and Georgia. Should a hostile regime come to power in Moscow and reoccupy these nations, we would have to declare war. Yet no matter how much we treasure the newly free Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia, their independence is not a vital U.S. interest, and never has been. And the threatened loss of their independence cannot justify war with a nuclear-armed Russia. … As Britain threw over Japan and drove Italy into the arms of Hitler, Bush pushes Putin's Russia into the arms of China by meddling in the politics of Georgia, Ukraine, and Belarus, planting U.S. bases in Central Asia, and hectoring him for running an autocratic state that does not pass muster with the National Endowment for Democracy.
— from Churchill, Hitler, and the Unnecessary War, by Patrick J. Buchanan, pp.421-2.

There are some spectacles that are at once tragic and farcical. One such has been the sight of Georgian troops scuttling back from assisting us in whatever it is we imagine we are doing in Iraq, to help defend their homeland, while Condoleezza Rice stamps her foot, George W. Bush watches a basketball game, and John McCain says that he will do such things, what they are, yet he knows not, but they shall be the terrors of the earth.

We are governed by fools. At least Putin knows what he wants, and how to get it. If only freedom had such leaders!

Gaffer
08-12-2008, 01:02 PM
Amen

Kathianne
08-12-2008, 01:05 PM
Amen

Yep, sad but true. We will pay for the sins of our leaders. Rather our children/grandchildren will pay.

theHawk
08-12-2008, 02:54 PM
Blame our leaders for Russia rolling its tanks in through Georgia? The US is "meddling" in the affairs of Georgia and other former USSR republics? The US may be meddling, but not any more than the Russians are. If you've ever spoken with any of the citizens from those countries you'd know that they hate the Russians, and welcome any help from the US. What are we supposed to do, just turn our back on them because we're afraid it might hurt Russia's feelings?

Kathianne
08-12-2008, 03:08 PM
Blame our leaders for Russia rolling its tanks in through Georgia? The US is "meddling" in the affairs of Georgia and other former USSR republics? The US may be meddling, but not any more than the Russians are. If you've ever spoken with any of the citizens from those countries you'd know that they hate the Russians, and welcome any help from the US. What are we supposed to do, just turn our back on them because we're afraid it might hurt Russia's feelings?

Someone I love like a sister was 'here' early in the summer, from the Ukraine. I asked her if she had concerns regarding Putin. Her response, "He doesn't care about the Ukraine, he has a world stage. She is/was wrong. He cares, a lot. Putin is all about reconstruction.

Gaffer
08-12-2008, 03:26 PM
putin was and is kgb. He put aside the mask of communism long ago, but the evil of him and his cohorts is still the same. They are reconstructing the USSR under a different name, but it will be the same. They are just showing that russian communism was really an autocracy and nothing has changed.

putin called for the Georgia president to resign. They are trying to dictate who is in charge of that country and where its loyalties should be. putin has a world stage and intends putting as much of it under his control as he can.

theHawk
08-12-2008, 03:43 PM
Putin is all about reconstruction.

I'm sure the Georgians would disagree....

Gaffer
08-12-2008, 03:50 PM

They would fully agree. He's all about reconstructing the ussr. And they are first on his list to be reconstructed.

theHawk
08-12-2008, 03:53 PM
They would fully agree. He's all about reconstructing the ussr. And they are first on his list to be reconstructed.

:lol:

Someone I love like a sister was 'here' early in the summer, from the Ukraine.
My former Russian language instructor was from the Ukraine. She always said they dispised the Russians. Granted, that was before Putin's time.

Kathianne
08-12-2008, 03:54 PM

First one must understand what he means by reconstruction. You are too quick to jump.

Kathianne
08-12-2008, 03:55 PM
They would fully agree. He's all about reconstructing the ussr. And they are first on his list to be reconstructed.yep.