View Full Version : Olbermann Claims US 'Provoked' Russia

red states rule
08-13-2008, 07:02 AM
Leave it to DNCTV to blame Pres Bush for Russia attacking Georgia

Olbermann Claims US 'Provoked' Russia
Russia, Sees 'Troubling Neocon Echoes'
By Brad Wilmouth (Bio | Archive)
August 13, 2008 - 00:57 ET

On Monday's Countdown show, MSNBC's Keith Olbermann blamed the Bush administration for the fighting between Russia and Georgia, charging that "the U.S. knowingly provoked Moscow for years by building up Georgia's military," and asked if "the administration essentially stoked the fires of this conflict by the way we contributed to the building up of Georgia and sort of encourage its president to do something like this." The MSNBC host was also distressed at the words of "neoconservatives" who favor a firm response against Russia, and referred to "troubling neocon echoes." Guest Flynt Leverett expressed his concern that "a very powerful group of neoconservative fellow travelers in the Democratic Party" would undermine Barack Obama's "more nuanced approach" to dealing with the situation as these neoconservative "elements" move into the Obama campaign. (Transcript follows)

Olbermann teased the show charging that John McCain is "trying to turn death near the Black Sea into political points at home." He also took exception with McCain for employing an advisor, Randy Scheunemann, who lobbies on behalf of Georgia.

After relaying that Barack Obama rejected McCain's "geopolitical simplicity" by placing some of the blame on Georgia, Olbermann took on neoconservatives: "McCain's language, meanwhile, was echoed by the architects of the Iraq war. Vice President Cheney saying, quote, 'Russian aggression must not go unanswered.' Fellow neocon William Kristol arguing that Georgia's participation in Iraq means, quote, 'We owe Georgia a serious effort to defend its sovereignty. Surely, we cannot simply stand by.' And troubling as the neocon echoes are, perhaps more embarrassing two elements of McCain's speech -- one, this report from CQPolitics.com wherein a Wikipedia editor pointing out at least three passages from the McCain's speech today, that it says most people would consider to have been derived directly from Wikipedia."

Olbermann soon brought aboard former NSC Senior Director Flynt Leverett, who expressed his concern that Obama's "more nuanced approach" to the situation may be undermined by "neoconservative fellow travelers in the Democratic Party" relocating from the Hillary Clinton campaign onto the Obama campaign: "There's a very powerful group of, what I would call, neoconservative fellow travelers in the Democratic Party, and a lot of these people were attached to the Hillary Clinton campaign. Now, the Obama campaign is trying to figure out how to take some of these people in. And I think there's a risk that Senator Obama could, in the end, end up ceding control or shaping the direction of his policy on important issues to some of these elements."

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/brad-wilmouth/2008/08/13/olbermann-us-provoked-russia-troubling-neocon-echoes

Gaffer
08-13-2008, 07:54 AM
A silly, foolish man, with silly, foolish ideas.

red states rule
08-13-2008, 07:57 AM
A silly, foolish man, with silly, foolish ideas.

and he fits in fine over a DNCTV with the likes of Chris Matthews

PostmodernProphet
08-13-2008, 08:27 AM
Neville Chamberlin liberals......

stephanie
08-13-2008, 08:32 AM
Olberblows does nothing but regurgitate the DNC talking points..

He is not the brightest bulb in a four pack..:poke:

theHawk
08-13-2008, 09:27 AM
LOL, so if McCain says anything about a new conflict its using the deaths to gain "political points at home". But if Obama says something about it, its a "nuanced approach", and if McCain or anyone else dares say something its "undermining" what Obama is trying to say. What a fucking blowhard. Sorry Keith, the rest of the world isn't going to sit around with duck tape over their mouths bowing in reverence to every word Obama utters.

The arrogance of this prick surpasses even the likes of Edwards and Obama.

PostmodernProphet
08-13-2008, 10:37 AM
I have been searching for a link, but I heard on the radio that some Obama pundit stated that Mednedev "listened to Obama" and ordered a cease fire.....

hjmick
08-13-2008, 10:45 AM
I have been searching for a link, but I heard on the radio that some Obama pundit stated that Mednedev "listened to Obama" and ordered a cease fire.....

0njdTjo0b4A

PostmodernProphet
08-13-2008, 10:50 AM
thanks Hj....that was the one......or should I say The One! I was thinking of....

stephanie
08-13-2008, 10:55 AM
THE ONE SPEAKETH...AND all of sudden Putin is cowering in a corner..

These Obambam cult members in the media are truly.........sickening..:laugh2:

red states rule
08-13-2008, 12:18 PM
Now that Russia is still attacking, the Obamabots are shocked the Russians LIED to them

08-13-2008, 03:53 PM
There are too many people around here that are just dumb. we are screwed.

theHawk
08-13-2008, 03:58 PM
There are too many people around here that are just dumb. we are screwed.

Thats usually the feeling I get when I listen for a few minutes to Keith Overblow.

Dilloduck
08-13-2008, 05:48 PM

Then Obama better keep talking cause Georgia is being crushed for trying to be independent of Russia. Why in the hell they tried using military tactics is beyond me.

red states rule
08-13-2008, 05:52 PM
Thats usually the feeling I get when I listen for a few minutes to Keith Overblow.

DNCTV must need a tax writeoff. That is only reason why they keep him on the air - it sure as hell is not for the ratings he gets

red states rule
08-14-2008, 03:09 PM
Now Newsweek is blaming Pres Bush for Russia attacking Georgia. The liberal media has given up trying to hide their bias

Newsweek's Dickey Blames Bush for Georgia Crisis
By Ken Shepherd (Bio | Archive)
August 14, 2008 - 15:56 ET

The crisis in Georgia is all Bush's fault, the Republicans offered America a soft-pedaled version of George Wallace's racism, and Obama-voting Southern Democrats are intelligent, defiant people living in occupied territory. I learned all that from just one Newsweek column.

I may have to watch "The View" to earn back some I.Q. points.

Yes, Christopher Dickey enlightened Newsweek readers on "The Defiant Ones," his August 14 Web exclusive, the subheader of which noted that:

The Russia-Georgia conflict is yet another example of why a leader caught up in the romance of resistance should not rely on Washington. What Saakashvili should have learned from history--and the American South.

According to Dickey, the real problem in the Baltic Sea region is America and its ally, Georgia, a partner in coalition forces in Iraq, not Vladimir Putin's Russia.

So where does the American South come in? Dickey's thread ran from the Baltic state of Georgia to the Peach State by examining the psychology of defiance

After my recent travels through Tennessee, Georgia and the Carolinas to assess the impact of Barack Obama's candidacy on the old Confederacy, my NEWSWEEK colleague John Barry sent me a note about his days reporting on the presidential campaign of George Wallace, the former governor of Alabama, back in 1968. Wallace's race-baiting populism eventually was sanitized and absorbed into the Republican Party's successful "Southern strategy," but Wallace himself was much rougher and more honest in his opinions than his mainstream emulators. He knew that what attracted Southern voters to him was not so much what he stood for, but the many things he stood against. "You got to understand," he told Barry one day as he gazed at the statue of a Confederate soldier in his home town, "All we've had is defiance."

That's it, I thought. That is what Yale professor C. Vann Woodward was saying when he wrote in the 1960s that Southerners were different from other Americans precisely because a century before, in the 1860s, they became the only white people in the United States to be conquered and occupied. All they had left was their attachment to defiance, which lingered for generations and remains among some Southerners to this day.

Defiance has ever been the sustenance of the weak and defeated, the overpowered, the demeaned and the enslaved.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/ken-shepherd/2008/08/14/newsweeks-dickey-blames-bush-georgia-crisis