PDA

View Full Version : "If you don't speak English, please hang up."

Little-Acorn
08-13-2008, 11:55 AM
The title of this article grabbed me. VERY cool.

Even though it's a little over the top. Sometimes the best things are.

According to current law, legal Permanent Resident Aliens (i.e. people with green cards) can stay in the country permanently without a requirement they speak English. Only people who want to become CITIZENS, are required to learn English.

But can you imagine moving to a place like, say, Spain, and staying the rest of your life without learning to speak Spanish? The reasons to learn English in America are many.

One reason, in fact, is so that when you get this phone message, you'll know what it's telling you. :^)

-----------------------------------------------

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=72176

'If you do not speak English, please hang up'
Telemarketers told to believe in America or don't call

Posted: August 12, 2008
9:25 pm Eastern

Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 5642 in Montrose, Pa., has a message for the many telemarketers that call its answering machine: Speak English.

Those who call the post when no one's around to answer the telephone will be greeted by a pleasant, female voice on the answering machine saying, "Hi, you've reached the Montrose VFW, Post 5642. We are an English-speaking, American establishment. If you do not speak English or believe in America, please hang up."

The one-story, white VFW post is a popular gathering point for veterans along Pennsylvania's Route 706, according to a WNEP-TV report. According to its post commander, the VFW's phone number is also a popular target of telemarketers, many of whom speak in broken English.

"We are living in America," Post Commander John Miner told WNEP. "We should be able to speak English."

Some in the community have called that message racist and unconstitutional.

Miner, however, says the post has used the message for several months without complaint. He has no intention of changing it.

"So you're sticking to your guns?" a WNEP reporter asked him.

Miner answered, "We're veterans."

Yurt
08-13-2008, 12:01 PM
no comprehende

darin
08-13-2008, 12:02 PM
If you do not speak English or believe in America, please hang up."

So...since I believe in America, I should hang up?

Little-Acorn
08-13-2008, 12:14 PM
So...since I believe in America, I should hang up?

Works for me. It's a free country, after all.