PDA

View Full Version : Chairman of Arkansas Dem. Party Critically Shot

Kathianne
08-13-2008, 01:17 PM
This sounds weird:

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jZT13WqlQ9i-8LZpa2zR-f0t9YSwD92HHS9G0

Report of shots at Arkansas Dems headquarters

By ANDREW DeMILLO – 30 minutes ago

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) — The chairman of the Arkansas Democratic Party was hospitalized in critical condition Wednesday, a party executive said. A television station reported that three shots were fired at party headquarters.

"There has been an incident at the party and chairman (Bill) Gwatney has been taken to the hospital," said Bruce Sinclair, the director of the state Democratic Party.

Police said they apprehended a suspect.

Sarah Lee, a sales clerk at a flower shop across street from the party headquarters, said that around noon Gwatney's secretary ran into the shop and asked someone to call 911. She said a man had come into the party and shot Gwatney multiple times.

Lee said the secretary told her the man had come into the party's office and asked to speak with Gwatney. When the secretary said she wouldn't allow him to meet with Gwatney, the man went into his office and shot him, Lee said.

She said the secretary described the man as in his 40s and white and drove off in a blue truck.

hjmick
08-13-2008, 01:20 PM
Democrat? Probably shot by a jealous husband.

Either that or one of them thar reich wingers whut done got all wound up by Rush.

Sitarro
08-13-2008, 01:24 PM

Either that or one of them thar reich wingers whut done got all wound up by Rush.

That's what I thought, I'm listening to Rush right now and polishing my 9mm Israeli Baby Desert Eagle.

Immanuel
08-13-2008, 01:27 PM

Bet they find "The Savage Nation" by Michael Savage or something from a similar author on the front seat of the truck. Even if they don't, we'll be told they did.

But regardless, I hope for a speedy and complete recovery for Mr. Gwatney.

Immie

hjmick
08-13-2008, 01:31 PM
That's what I thought, I'm listening to Rush right now and polishing my 9mm Israeli Baby Desert Eagle.

And readin' your Bible.

red states rule
08-13-2008, 01:33 PM
This sounds weird:

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jZT13WqlQ9i-8LZpa2zR-f0t9YSwD92HHS9G0

How will the left blame Pres Bush for this one?

Little-Acorn
08-13-2008, 01:36 PM
And readin' your Bible.

Bitterly.

Little-Acorn
08-13-2008, 01:37 PM
BTW, I heard a suspect was shot and arrested.

If he's the one, put him on trial, and throw the book. And if the victim dies, it's Murder 1.

Does Arkansas have the death penalty?

Kathianne
08-13-2008, 01:41 PM

If he's the one, put him on trial, and throw the book. And if the victim dies, it's Murder 1.

The article posted op, said he'd been apprehended, I didn't know about being shot.

red states rule
08-13-2008, 01:42 PM

Do they have a law where it is an extra time for using a gun in the commission of a crime?

I wish the victim the best and hope he pulls thru

Little-Acorn
08-13-2008, 01:46 PM
Do they have a law where it is an extra time for using a gun in the commission of a crime?
If they do, then that means their penalties for identical crimes committed WITHOUT a gun have been judged too lenient.

red states rule
08-13-2008, 01:48 PM
If they do, then that means their penalties for identical crimes committed WITHOUT a gun have been judged too lenient.

Very true

Lock this creep up and toss away the key

You also know damn well, the anti gun nuts will use this to push for more "reasonable" gun laws

Gaffer
08-13-2008, 01:53 PM
Makes me wonder if the perp is a left wing moonbat. And if so will the media tell us.

red states rule
08-13-2008, 01:55 PM
Makes me wonder if the perp is a left wing moonbat. And if so will the media tell us.

If he is a left wing nut - the liberal meida will NOT mention it

If he is a right wing nut - they will play up the "hate" that permenates thru the Republican party on the front page

Gaffer
08-13-2008, 01:56 PM

If he is a right wing nut - they will play up the "hate" that permenates thru the Republican party on the front page

That's what I'm suspecting too.

hjmick
08-13-2008, 01:58 PM
Upon further review, I believe my initial response was a bit callous and cavalier, somewhat out of character for me where incidents such as this are concerned. For that I apologize and can only say that I have been somewhat out of sorts the last few days.

That being said...

I truly hope that Mr. Gwatney pulls through, my thoughts go out to his family. That the suspected perpetrator has been apprehended is good news and I hope that he is prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

red states rule
08-13-2008, 01:59 PM
That's what I'm suspecting too.

Take it to the bank Gaffer

If is reflects bad on Dems, the facts are ignored. Always has been - always will be

Immanuel
08-13-2008, 02:12 PM

If he is a left wing nut, he will be said to have had "The Savage Nation" on the front seat of his truck. They will claim he listened to Rush and Michael daily and he hated liberals all his life.

If he is a right wing nut, he will be said to have had "The Savage Nation" on the front seat of his truck. They will claim he listened to Rush and Michael daily and he hated liberals all his life.

Either way, I hope he gets a fair trial and then his just temporal reward.

Immie

theHawk
08-13-2008, 02:33 PM
Hmm, Arkansas,.... a Hillary superdelegate.

Maybe he decided to change his vote for Barry....

Little-Acorn
08-13-2008, 03:26 PM
The latest.......

------------------------------------------------------

http://www2.arkansasonline.com/news/2008/aug/13/police-chasing-after-shooting-democratic-party-hea/

Gwatney shot at state Democratic headquarters
Gunman dead after chase, police say

by ArkansasOnline
2008-08-13 14:50:00

LITTLE ROCK — A gunman shot Democratic Party Chairman Bill Gwatney three times at the State Democratic Party Headquarters in Little Rock on Wednesday, fleeing the scene in a pickup and leading police on a chase down Interstate 530 that ended in gunfire. Gwatney was transported to the hospital, where he is in critical condition.

The Little Rock police said about 2:30 p.m. that the suspect was dead after being shot by authorities near Sheridan.

An aide from the governor's office confirmed the shooting about 12:20 p.m. Wednesday.

The shooting occurred in a headquarters office about 11:49 a.m. Wednesday, Lt. Terry Hastings, spokesman for the Little Rock Police Department, said during a news conference at the scene at 1300 W. Capitol Ave.

Hastings said a white man walked into an office at the state Democratic headquarters and fired several shots. Gwatney's secretary told The Associated Press that the gunman had wanted to speak Gwatney and, after being denied entry, went into the office anyway. Police are not confirming the identity until all family members have been notified.

After the shooting, police chased the driver of a blue pickup south on I-530 to U.S. 167 toward Sheridan. That chase ended with an exchange of gunfire between the driver and police..

Gwatney, 48, was transported by ambulance to UAMS, according to witnesses.

A white man in a white t-shirt also flashed a gun in the Arkansas Baptist Convention building downtown, according to witnesses. The man left without incident, but police were called.

The man fled in a blue pickup after the shooting at the headquarters, and police pursued him around 12:10 p.m. as he drove on I-530. The gunman avoid spike strips and a road block placed near Sheridan but was thwarted by Grant County sheriff's units, who rammed his truck to disable it near Little Creek Road and Highway 46.

Then, according to a Grant County sheriff's office spokesman, L. Huey, the suspect fired two shots as his truck spun around. Arkansas State Police officers, who also were involved in the pursuit, fired back at him.

08-13-2008, 03:35 PM
The suspect was asking to volunteer... weird.

Kathianne
08-13-2008, 05:44 PM
The Democrat Chairman died.

red states rule
08-13-2008, 05:50 PM

My prayers are for his soul and his family

Little-Acorn
08-13-2008, 06:08 PM

DAMN.

---------------------------------------------

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D92HM6000&show_article=1

Gunman fatally shoots Ark. Dem. Party chairman

Aug 13 06:37 PM US/Eastern
By ANDREW DeMILLO
Associated Press Writer

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) - A man barged into the Arkansas Democratic headquarters and opened fire Wednesday, fatally shooting the state party chairman before speeding off in his pickup. Police later shot and killed the suspect after a 30-mile chase.

Police said they don't know the motive for the 51-year-old suspect, whose name has not been released. However, they said moments after the shooting, he pointed a handgun at the building manager at the nearby the Arkansas Baptist headquarters. He told the manager "I lost my job," said Dan Jordan, a Baptist convention official.

Chairman Bill Gwatney died four hour after the shooting. The 48-year-old former state senator had been planning to travel to the Democratic National Convention later this month as a Hillary Clinton superdelegate.

Clinton and her husband, former President Bill Clinton, issued a statement calling Gwatney "not only a strong chairman of Arkansas' Democratic Party, but he is also a cherished friend and confidante."

Witnesses said the gunman entered the party offices shortly before noon and said he wanted to see Gwatney.

"He said he was interested in volunteering, but that was obviously a lie," said 17-year-old party volunteer Sam Higginbotham. He said the man then pushed past employees to reach the chairman's office, where he fired three times.

After the suspect avoided spike strips and a roadblock along U.S. 167 near Sheridan, police rammed his car, spinning it, said Grant County Sheriff Lance Huey. He got out of his truck and began shooting, and state police and sheriff's deputies fired back, striking him several times, he said.

The state Capitol was locked down for about an hour until police got word the gunman had been captured, said Arkansas State Capitol police Sgt. Charlie Brice.

Gov. Mike Beebe, a Democrat who served with Gwatney in the state Senate, had been on a flight to Springdale in northwestern Arkansas. He returned to Little Rock and joined an impromptu vigil at University Hospital after what he called a "shocking and senseless attack." Gwatney had been Beebe's finance chairman during the governor's 2006 campaign.

"Arkansas has lost a great son, and I have lost a great friend. There is deep pain in Arkansas tonight because of the sheer number of people who knew, respected and loved Bill Gwatney," Beebe said.

gabosaurus
08-13-2008, 06:45 PM
Obviously a hate-driven right-wing ultra-conservative who hates black people.

Silver
08-13-2008, 08:02 PM
Obviously a hate-driven right-wing ultra-conservative who hates black people.

Thats pretty good but you forgot to link him with Rush and Savage....might as well throw in O'Rielly and Hannity too...:laugh2:

Hobbit
08-13-2008, 10:30 PM
Thats pretty good but you forgot to link him with Rush and Savage....might as well throw in O'Rielly and Hannity too...:laugh2:

If he'd used a pitchfork, we could blame it on Glenn Beck.

Trinity
08-14-2008, 06:04 AM
I found this, this morning.........

Police said they don't know the motive for the 51-year-old suspect, whose name has not been released.

However, they said moments after the shooting, he pointed a handgun at the building manager at the nearby the Arkansas Baptist headquarters.

He told the manager "I lost my job," said Dan Jordan, a Baptist convention official.

Chairman Bill Gwatney died four hours after the shooting.

http://www.wcpo.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=ea4ad9cf-f4c5-4d57-b50a-fc6e98c4ecc9