PDA

View Full Version : Study: Troops Deployed Abroad Gave Six Times More To Obama Than To McCain

Psychoblues
08-15-2008, 06:59 PM
I wonder how this happened?!?!??!?!?!??!

By Greg Sargent - August 14, 2008, 11:22AM

This is really, really perplexing. It turns out that according to a new analysis, troops deployed abroad have donated six times more money to the candidate who wants to bring the troops home from Iraq:

According to an analysis of campaign contributions by the nonpartisan Center for Responsive Politics, Democrat Barack Obama has received nearly six times as much money from troops deployed overseas at the time of their contributions than has Republican John McCain, and the fiercely anti-war Ron Paul, though he suspended his campaign for the Republican nomination months ago, has received more than four times McCain's haul.
Despite McCain's status as a decorated veteran and a historically Republican bent among the military, members of the armed services overall -- whether stationed overseas or at home -- are also favoring Obama with their campaign contributions in 2008, by a $55,000 margin. Although 59 percent of federal contributions by military personnel has gone to Republicans this cycle, of money from the military to the presumed presidential nominees, 57 percent has gone to Obama.

Interestingly, the analysis notes that in 2000, George W. Bush outraised Al Gore by two to one among military personnel, but in 2004, with the war underway, John Kerry closed the gap somewhat. Now, with the war having gone on for more than five years, the Dem has an overwhelming advantage among troops abroad.

I can't account for this odd phenomenon. Anyone have any ideas why this might......................

More: http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/08/study_troops_deployed_abroad_g.php

If only it were still like it was in 2004!!!!!!!!!!!! Courage trumps even fear after some time.

Hit it, Ray Price, For The Good Times: :salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute:

stephanie
08-15-2008, 07:28 PM
More than likely some wishful thinking...

all a bunch of hooooooey..:laugh2:

Kathianne
08-15-2008, 07:38 PM
Something real weird here pb. Seems for the top 2 recipients, the average donation is the same. Somehow the average donation drops after that.

Interesting too that there's no methodology of how they tracked donations by military. You can find names of donors, but not going to find branch of service, etc.

What is it with 'Open Secrets' and their 'non-partisan polling' which one cannot find information on, except for Wiki and Open Secrets?

BoogyMan
08-15-2008, 07:52 PM
The funny part of the whole thing is that of the over 150,000 individuals abroad an enourmous 134 gave to Obama. That is right, 134, and these left-wing jokers are claiming that this is statistically significant.

Put down the bong and turn on the lights guys, doing your math in the dark isn't getting you anywhere.

Psychoblues
08-15-2008, 07:58 PM
I simply shared the story with you, kitty. As to the methodology of the survey I have no clue. But based on the conversations that I have daily with returning troops and veterans I have no reason to doubt it. I just wondered when I would see a report about it. So far the msm has avoided this like a plaque!!!!!

Something real weird here pb. Seems for the top 2 recipients, the average donation is the same. Somehow the average donation drops after that.

Interesting too that there's no methodology of how they tracked donations by military. You can find names of donors, but not going to find branch of service, etc.

What is it with 'Open Secrets' and their 'non-partisan polling' which one cannot find information on, except for Wiki and Open Secrets?

Aren't you being a bit paranoid about "Open Secrets", kitty? Some of what they do pisses me off but I haven't seen anything that would cause me to distrust them.

:salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute:

Kathianne
08-15-2008, 08:16 PM
I simply shared the story with you, kitty. As to the methodology of the survey I have no clue. But based on the conversations that I have daily with returning troops and veterans I have no reason to doubt it. I just wondered when I would see a report about it. So far the msm has avoided this like a plaque!!!!!

Aren't you being a bit paranoid about "Open Secrets", kitty? Some of what they do pisses me off but I haven't seen anything that would cause me to distrust them.

I just so often see that linked to by the left. If it makes you feel any better, I do the same thing with things posted from newsbusters. It's me, I tend to distrust any sites used over and over for a myriad of reasons.

It's in my nature, I like research. :laugh2:

Sitarro
08-15-2008, 08:19 PM

I guess the part that has shown a month by month accounting of every other candidate's contributions except for that racist, muslim, idiot Hussein, escaped your view....... again, why am I not surprised?

BoogyMan
08-15-2008, 08:22 PM
The best part is that the left is now claiming a statistically insignificant number of contributions is indicative of a trend. This has to be the most misleading and entertaining claim in aid of the Obamamessiah yet.

http://www.opensecrets.org/news/2008/08/troops-deployed-abroad-give-61.html

Psychoblues
08-15-2008, 08:24 PM
Ditto, kitty!!!!!!!

I just so often see that linked to by the left. If it makes you feel any better, I do the same thing with things posted from newsbusters. It's me, I tend to distrust any sites used over and over for a myriad of reasons.

It's in my nature, I like research. :laugh2:

Show me someone that doesn't do that and I'll show you someone that doesn't do anything at all!!!!!!!!

In the meantime: :salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute:

Psychoblues
08-15-2008, 08:29 PM
Have you people not noticed that troops from E-1 to O-10 are increasingly coming out against the policies of gwb and JM? That was not news to me, but it has not been widely reported. I thinketh the reputation of the GOP as being guardians for the military has about run it's course.

Kathianne
08-15-2008, 08:31 PM
Have you people not noticed that troops from E-1 to O-10 are increasingly coming out against the policies of gwb and JM? That was not news to me, but it has not been widely reported. I thinketh the reputation of the GOP as being guardians for the military has about run it's course.

You have a link? :laugh2: but seriously?

Psychoblues
08-15-2008, 08:42 PM
Actually I don't have a link for you, kitty. But I will try and find something to verify what I am saying other than the survey in question here.

You have a link? :laugh2: but seriously?

As a life member of the VFW and the DAV, however, I can say with all confidence that the leadership in both organizations is becoming increasingly aware of the animosities that many returning troops and veterans hold towards the political and military/Pentagon powers that be. As time goes on, you will see much more information about this propensity.

Kathianne
08-15-2008, 09:18 PM
Actually I don't have a link for you, kitty. But I will try and find something to verify what I am saying other than the survey in question here.

As a life member of the VFW and the DAV, however, I can say with all confidence that the leadership in both organizations is becoming increasingly aware of the animosities that many returning troops and veterans hold towards the political and military/Pentagon powers that be. As time goes on, you will see much more information about this propensity.

This is a better post. More a personal point of view or anecdotal. Don't need a link for that. Just a "From those I've spoken to in XXX and XXX my impression is that...."

I know, I'm a stickler and bitch. But heh, I'll buy you a beer.

Yurt
08-15-2008, 10:14 PM
as your article states psydeshow:

A former West Point professor, Jason Dempsey, noted that the small set of contributions from deployed troops at this point in 2008 -- just 323 donations -- should not be extrapolated to form conclusions about military personnel overall.

retiredman
08-15-2008, 10:49 PM
This is a better post. More a personal point of view or anecdotal. Don't need a link for that. Just a "From those I've spoken to in XXX and XXX my impression is that...."

my personal point of view based upon an admittedly small sample of returning Maine National Guradsman is that many of the middle rank enlisted troops especially are disenchanted with the current leadership and question the wisdom of invading Iraq. I would venture to say that in a presidential preference poll, Obama beats McCain amongst Maine guardsmen.

and my own American Legion Post has swung hard to the left over the past year.

Psychoblues
08-15-2008, 11:17 PM
Hey, hey, hey!!!!!!!! kitty, kitty, kitty!!!!!!!! Just how much dough have you got, dumplin'?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!????!?!?

If you'll buy me one, I can damned sure talk you out of another one!!!!!!!!

Just kidding you, kitty!!!!!!!!!!!

Hit it, Willie, I Gotta Get Drunk And I sure Do Dread It: :salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute:

On a more serious note, remember what I say the next time you hand a quarter to a panhandler. My pat response to most of them is, "I'll give a GD'ed asswhippin' if you ain't outta my face in about 2 seconds, don't think about it fool, you're wasting your 2 seconds."

Kathianne
08-15-2008, 11:21 PM
Hey, hey, hey!!!!!!!! kitty, kitty, kitty!!!!!!!! Just how much dough have you got, dumplin'?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!????!?!?

If you'll buy me one, I can damned sure talk you out of another one!!!!!!!!

Just kidding you, kitty!!!!!!!!!!!

Hit it, Willie, I Gotta Get Drunk And I sure Do Dread It: :salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute:

On a more serious note, remember what I say the next time you hand a quarter to a panhandler. My pat response to most of them is, "I'll give a GD'ed asswhippin' if you ain't outta my face in about 2 seconds, don't think about it fool, you're wasting your 2 seconds."

I never give to a panhandler that can't stand and ask for it. Well I'll make an exception for one in a wheelchair, but they gotta look sober. ;)

Psychoblues
08-16-2008, 12:03 AM
As you can see, kitty, I have kind of a hair trigger when it comes to panhandlers. I've been around the block enough times to know who is and who ain't the real deal. If I have a doubt, I usually offer to buy them something to eat. As might be expected, they usually turn me down. The change was for cheap wine or a Mercedes note. Either way, a hamburger just ain't what they're lookin' for, can you dig it?!?!?!??!?!

I never give to a panhandler that can't stand and ask for it. Well I'll make an exception for one in a wheelchair, but they gotta look sober. ;)

In the meantime,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Hit it, Easy Rider Jack Nicholson, Roll Another One, Just Like The Other One: :salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute:

Actually, all I smoke is ready roll Pall Mall. I never was a toker. Now, ain't that a cryin' shame!!!!!!!!!!

Kathianne
08-16-2008, 12:06 AM
As you can see, kitty, I have kind of a hair trigger when it comes to panhandlers. I've been around the block enough times to know who is and who ain't the real deal. If I have a doubt, I usually offer to buy them something to eat. As might be expected, they usually turn me down. The change was for cheap wine or a Mercedes note. Either way, a hamburger just ain't what they're lookin' for, can you dig it?!?!?!??!?!

In the meantime,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Hit it, Easy Rider Jack Nicholson, Roll Another One, Just Like The Other One: :salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute:

Actually, all I smoke is ready roll Pall Mall. I never was a toker. Now, ain't that a cryin' shame!!!!!!!!!!

So I'm an easy mark. I'll live with it.

What Kind of World Do You Want? Hit it John! ;)

Psychoblues
08-16-2008, 12:13 AM
OK, kitty!!!!! It's your coin and I never make it my business to tell anyone what to do with their own coin!!!!!!

So I'm an easy mark. I'll live with it.

What Kind of World Do You Want? Hit it John! ;)

BTW, where's that beer you offered to buy me?!?!?!??!?!!??! I've got a drinkers space reserved in the Lounge!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kathianne
08-16-2008, 12:15 AM
OK, kitty!!!!! It's your coin and I never make it my business to tell anyone what to do with their own coin!!!!!!

BTW, where's that beer you offered to buy me?!?!?!??!?!!??! I've got a drinkers space reserved in the Lounge!!!!!!!!!!!!

You give me the Cosmos, I'll give you the Busch. Whoops you got to hit the Windy City, let me know.

Psychoblues
08-16-2008, 12:33 AM
Cosmos it is!!!!!!!! But, you know how stevie is about drinking up all the cranberry juice and vodka!!!!!!!!!!

You give me the Cosmos, I'll give you the Busch. Whoops you got to hit the Windy City, let me know.

Hit it, Hank, If You Got The Money, Honey, I Got The Time, We'll Go Honky Tonkin': :salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute: