PDA

View Full Version : La. teen who hung nooses gets 4 months in prison

Yurt
08-15-2008, 10:45 PM
La. teen who hung nooses gets 4 months in prison

Louisiana teenager who hung nooses off the back of his truck to intimidate a group of black civil rights demonstrators has been sentenced to four months in prison.

Federal prosecutors say 19-year-old Jeremiah Munsen displayed the nooses when he drove past people who had attended a massive civil rights march in Jena on Sept. 20.

Munsen had faced up to a year in prison after pleading guilty in April to a misdemeanor charge of interfering with the marchers' federally protected right to travel.

The marchers were waiting in Alexandria for a bus home to Tennessee. They had been protesting the criminal cases against six black teenagers charged with beating a white student at Jena High School in 2006.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2008/08/15/national/a094845D20.DTL

he drove past, but interfered...you can pour shit all over the cross or jesus and that is protected speech.

Hobbit
08-15-2008, 10:52 PM
I hope this goes to the supremes.

Psychoblues
08-15-2008, 11:23 PM
You must've been his defense counsel, yuk. I've seen you fuck up more important decisions.

08-16-2008, 12:51 AM
Okay, one glaring question stands out to me right now.

How does driving by a bunch of people who are waiting for the bus interfer with their right to travel?

Psychoblues
08-16-2008, 01:10 AM
Did you see the part about the nooses, a'21?

Okay, one glaring question stands out to me right now.

How does driving by a bunch of people who are waiting for the bus interfer with their right to travel?

The young man went looking for trouble and he found it!!!!!!! How's that for a success!!!!!!!!!!!

Hit it 50 Cent, Just A Little Bit: :salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute:

Hobbit
08-16-2008, 01:47 AM

The young man went looking for trouble and he found it!!!!!!! How's that for a success!!!!!!!!!!!

Hit it 50 Cent, Just A Little Bit: :salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute:

As deplorable as his expression was, it was just that, expression, and is protected by the first amendment of the Constitution. That man was well within his rights to hang nooses on his own truck, as long as he didn't threaten to kill them.

Psychoblues
08-16-2008, 02:05 AM
Your opinion and a couple of bucks might buy you a cup of decent coffee, hibbit, but the courts don't agree and they worked out a better deal with the young man!!!!!!!!!!!!

As deplorable as his expression was, it was just that, expression, and is protected by the first amendment of the Constitution. That man was well within his rights to hang nooses on his own truck, as long as he didn't threaten to kill them.

I repeat, the young man went looking for trouble and he accomplished his aspirations!!!!!!!!!! He should be congratulated, correct?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Hit it, Johnny, I'm Goin' To Jackson, Gonna Mess Around: :salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute:

08-16-2008, 09:10 AM

Driving by with nooses doesn't really prevent anyone from protesting or traveling unless their heads are in the noose. So how the heck has this law been violated?

5stringJeff
08-16-2008, 07:22 PM
Another hit to free speech. Welcome to 21st Century America. :(

Yurt
08-16-2008, 09:09 PM
You must've been his defense counsel, yuk. I've seen you fuck up more important decisions.

psydeshow,

what are you blathering about? what decisions have you "seen?" :laugh2:

and if i was his defense counsel, he would have received zero time :poke:

DragonStryk72
08-17-2008, 12:56 AM
Okay, he's an asshole, I admit this much, and he seriously needed to have his truck break down right there in front of the people he was trying to scare off, but he wasn't preventing them from doing anything. He'd have accomplished as much by just yelling out the window as he passed by. In this case, the law is being used improperly.

He is an asshole, but people have a right to be assholes.

stephanie
08-17-2008, 01:22 AM
I only weep for my younger son and my grandchildren..

It looks like "Freedom of speech", will be something I will have to tell them, it was something we used to have at one time....

sad..:salute:

Psychoblues
08-17-2008, 06:09 PM
Your posts reflect decisions that you make, yuk, and Good Gollie Miss Molly have I seen some doozies from you!!!!!!!!!!!!

psydeshow,

what are you blathering about? what decisions have you "seen?" :laugh2:

and if i was his defense counsel, he would have received zero time :poke:

As far as your being his defense counsel, I doubt you'd have the time as you spend most of it on this board chasing your tail yet making a very weak attempt at trying to appear in some way smart.

Hit it, band, Pink Cadillac: :salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute:

actsnoblemartin
08-17-2008, 06:44 PM
their must be 50 ways to leave your civil rights

what a fucking joke, this is bullshit.

the constitution protects free speech, especially un-pleasant and hate speech, as long as they didnt go up to the protestors and yell/threaten/hit them, they can do whatever they want with THERE OWN PROPERTY

thats it, were a country of p***ies, and not the good kind either

La. teen who hung nooses gets 4 months in prison

Louisiana teenager who hung nooses off the back of his truck to intimidate a group of black civil rights demonstrators has been sentenced to four months in prison.

Federal prosecutors say 19-year-old Jeremiah Munsen displayed the nooses when he drove past people who had attended a massive civil rights march in Jena on Sept. 20.

Munsen had faced up to a year in prison after pleading guilty in April to a misdemeanor charge of interfering with the marchers' federally protected right to travel.

The marchers were waiting in Alexandria for a bus home to Tennessee. They had been protesting the criminal cases against six black teenagers charged with beating a white student at Jena High School in 2006.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2008/08/15/national/a094845D20.DTL

he drove past, but interfered...you can pour shit all over the cross or jesus and that is protected speech.

bullcrap, he was driving his car.

this is politically correct bullshit

do you think the racist protestors of la raza, mecha, and the illegals were arrested when they shouted their racists rants at police, protestors and made terroristic threats against america

grow a pair and a get a clue

Your opinion and a couple of bucks might buy you a cup of decent coffee, hibbit, but the courts don't agree and they worked out a better deal with the young man!!!!!!!!!!!!

I repeat, the young man went looking for trouble and he accomplished his aspirations!!!!!!!!!! He should be congratulated, correct?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Hit it, Johnny, I'm Goin' To Jackson, Gonna Mess Around: :salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2:

I have full abilities in yurt as a lawyer and a poster, he is one of the best.

Your posts reflect decisions that you make, yuk, and Good Gollie Miss Molly have I seen some doozies from you!!!!!!!!!!!!

As far as your being his defense counsel, I doubt you'd have the time as you spend most of it on this board chasing your tail yet making a very weak attempt at trying to appear in some way smart.

Yurt
08-17-2008, 09:46 PM

the board genius speaks...and apparently was caught in the street the other day:

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/resources/2008/04/moron.JPG

Psychoblues
08-17-2008, 09:47 PM
The young man's rights were protected, marteen. You are losing your freakin' mind over something that you obviously know little and care little about!!!!!!

I have full abilities in yurt as a lawyer and a poster, he is one of the best.

I maintain my position that the young man went looking for some shit and he didn't find it so aromatically appealing for himself!!!!!!!!!! But, he accomplished exactly what he set out to do!!!!!!!!! No question about that!!!!!! Obviously he is happy with his plea agreement. Maybe the dreaded by the reichwing ACLU will take the case up but I doubt it. The young man is obviously in full agreement with what the judge has set forth as reasonable and customary. The fact that you and others here don't get it is no surprise whatsoever to me.

Hit it, Merle, I'm Here In Folsom Prison And That Train Keeps Rollin' On: :salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute:

Psychoblues
08-17-2008, 09:56 PM
What you carrying that sign for, yuk? BTW, you misspelled "moran".

the board genius speaks...and apparently was caught in the street the other day:

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/resources/2008/04/moron.JPG

Can I offer you some advise? Wearing a trench coat and gloves in August, carrying an ominous sign and looking mad like you do can get your ass shot by a good number of policemen that I know!!!!!!!!!! In Mississippi it's called simply "suicide by cop" and the judges down here just love you for it!!!!!!!!!! It keeps down the lengthy and convoluted trials that jerks like you harass the public with!!!!!!!!!!

midcan5
08-18-2008, 06:49 AM
"Jeremiah Munsen, 19, pleaded guilty to federal hate crime charges for dangling nooses from the back of a pickup in September and driving past a group of protesters at a bus depot in Alexandria, Louisiana, about 35 miles south of Jena, where the marches took place..."

Why would he plead guilty?

http://www.newstin.com/sim/us/74272678/en-010-005008037

darin
08-18-2008, 07:19 AM
...for a lesser sentence.

Psychoblues
08-18-2008, 07:22 AM
Maybe he knows the truth of his actions more than the courtroom wannabees that populate this thread, mc'5?!?!?!?!?!??!?

"Jeremiah Munsen, 19, pleaded guilty to federal hate crime charges for dangling nooses from the back of a pickup in September and driving past a group of protesters at a bus depot in Alexandria, Louisiana, about 35 miles south of Jena, where the marches took place..."

Thanks for the quote!!!!!!!!!! Marvelous!!!!!!!!!

Life On Death Row Ain't So Bad: :salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute:

Yurt
08-18-2008, 11:15 AM

as d said, a lesser sentence, you have no idea the intimidation that could be placed on someone to plead...if you don't plead, they threaten you with extremely harsh charges that could bring YEARS in prison...but all the people being intimidated focus on is not the "could bring" but the YEARS.

simple really. the guy obviously didn't even realize he was committing a crime...as he did not...so the whole thing took him by surprise