PDA

View Full Version : McCain: Buying American is disgraceful.

Joe Steel
08-16-2008, 05:39 AM
(Motors revving)

Announcer: Listen to John McCain speaking to motorcycle enthusiasts in Sturgis, South Dakota, on Tuesday.

McCain: Not long ago a couple of hundred thousand Berliners made a lot of noise for my opponent. I'll take the roar of 50,000 Harleys any day...

Announcer: But when it comes to his record, American-made motorcycles like Harleys don't matter to John McCain. Back in Washington, McCain opposed the requirement that the government buy American-made motorcycles. And he said all buy-American provisions were quote "disgraceful." Surprised? You shouldn't be. This is the same John McCain who supported billions in tax breaks for companies who ship American jobs overseas.

(More motors revving)

Announcer: It's time to hear the roar of the strong American economy again -- and stop John McCain from shipping our jobs overseas.

Obama: I'm Barack Obama, candidate for president, and I approved this message. Paid for by Obama for America.

http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/images/2008-08-15_buy_american_obama.jpg

Psychoblues
08-16-2008, 05:55 AM
I don't mean to sound like one of these parrothead reichwingers, JS, but could you provide at least a link or direction to turn for verification?

Hearing a republican diminish the worth and value of American made goods is not new to me, I've certainly heard it thousands of times through the years. I often question the wisdom of the textile mills as they abandoned their workforces and towns that were completely dedicated to aspirations of the mills and without as much as a blink headed overseas with great fanfare and encouragement by their very republican overseers.

I could go on and on, but is that kind of capitalism good for the national security, or even the national economy? And the republicans now wonder why they are losing the South!!!!!!! Even the unemployed understand the consequences of personal desertions by the jerks they have given their lives to enhance and protect.

Joe Steel
08-16-2008, 06:05 AM
I don't mean to sound like one of these parrothead reichwingers, JS, but could you provide at least a link or direction to turn for verification?

Obama Camp Unveils "Buy American, Vote Obama" Campaign (http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/08/obama_unveils_buy_american_vot.php
http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/08/obama_unveils_buy_american_vot.php)

Joe Steel
08-16-2008, 06:12 AM
Hearing a republican diminish the worth and value of American made goods is not new to me, I've certainly heard it thousands of times through the years. I often question the wisdom of the textile mills as they abandoned their workforces and towns that were completely dedicated to aspirations of the mills and without as much as a blink headed overseas with great fanfare and encouragement by their very republican overseers.

I could go on and on, but is that kind of capitalism good for the national security, or even the national economy? And the republicans now wonder why they are losing the South!!!!!!! Even the unemployed understand the consequences of personal desertions by the jerks they have given their lives to enhance and protect.

A couple of years ago, the US was buying M-16 ammunition from Israel. Somehow, that just doesn't seem right. If we're going to start wars, we should be able to manufacture the bullets we need to fight them.

Of course, the problem goes far beyond ammunition. Quite a bit of the the stuff Americans use and need isn't manufactured here. That's an outrage and it has to be stopped.

Psychoblues
08-16-2008, 06:22 AM
The link leads to a TPM site and a "file not found" message, JS. Can you come up with something else? BTW, I don't think the nomenclature of the link encourages much sightseeing from this board, do you?

I have said it many times, JS. When a country cannot even make uniforms and footwear for it's own troops the problems are more deep rooted than any individual can solve. There must be a re-awakening by all or most of the true patriots to make sure this is rectified and that it never happens again!!!!!!!!

Hit it, Merle, I've Been A Workin' Man Damn Near All My Life: :salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute:

Joe Steel
08-16-2008, 06:52 AM
The link leads to a TPM site and a "file not found" message, JS. Can you come up with something else? BTW, I don't think the nomenclature of the link encourages much sightseeing from this board, do you?

Truth is truth. TPM and Josh Marshall's credibility are unassailable. The wingnuts are going to have to accept it.

"McCain opposed a requirement that the government buy American-made motorcycles. And he said all buy-American provisions were quote 'disgraceful.' " (http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/620/)

Yurt
08-16-2008, 12:49 PM
i suppose everything owned by obama is solely american....i suppose his car is american and that he has never owned a foreign car :laugh2:

Shadow
08-16-2008, 04:09 PM
i suppose everything owned by obama is solely american....i suppose his car is american and that he has never owned a foreign car :laugh2:

I'm sure all liberal's purchase is American goods also. Do as I say,not as I do and all that...

manu1959
08-16-2008, 04:32 PM
A couple of years ago, the US was buying M-16 ammunition from Israel. Somehow, that just doesn't seem right. If we're going to start wars, we should be able to manufacture the bullets we need to fight them.

Of course, the problem goes far beyond ammunition. Quite a bit of the the stuff Americans use and need isn't manufactured here. That's an outrage and it has to be stopped.

do you know why mfr's don't use american labour......

manu1959
08-16-2008, 04:33 PM

most of the parts in american cars are not american.....

Kathianne
08-16-2008, 04:35 PM
most of the parts in american cars are not american.....

and many of the parts of a Toyota or Lexus are American made. It's so confusing! :laugh2:

Kathianne
08-16-2008, 04:37 PM
Truth is truth. TPM and Josh Marshall's credibility are unassailable. The wingnuts are going to have to accept it.

"McCain opposed a requirement that the government buy American-made motorcycles. And he said all buy-American provisions were quote 'disgraceful.' " (http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/620/)

LOL on the credibility being 'unassailable', only in the JS world, (what color is th sky there btw?)

We get real pissed when other countries go all protectionist, for good reasons.

emmett
08-16-2008, 05:38 PM
NAFTA!

Ah.........Who was President?

Go ahead, answer the question!

Who was the damn president?

Now Psycho. Those mills you were referring to, you are right! Thanks for bringing that up. The problem though was not republicans if I may correct you in your inaccurate depiction of what caused them to bail and go overseas. UNIONS!!!! Unions sir, you know the folks that funneled more campaigne dollars to Democratic candidates than any voting bloc in history. It was unions that completely ruined small town America.

I am totally with you about the influence of politics in destroying the small town economy in our country. However you have ignored the major cause. Unions!! You know this is true and you probably will diguise it, spin it and IF you choose to debate it with me will fire it back at me with some of your usual luster and rhetoric that supersedes my ability as you are obviously the superior authority on that.

I've ridden the roads over there in your neck of the woods and seen the skeletons of what were once beautiful little thriving communities in my state as well. It makes me cry to see it. The hustle bustle of a weekday morning in a small town as everyone prepares for another day of typical America in the sixties is gone forever and it has taken something from us that will never be replaced. Unions sir! Unions did this and greed! Corporate greed, together has successfully destoyed small town America forever.

Psychoblues
08-17-2008, 02:32 PM
You, emmie, are delusional!!!!!!!! The plants and mills of which I speak were for the most part, like 97%, non-union. Bill Clinton, the Prez when NAFTA was passed, had a veto proof majority of conservatives in the legislature and had passed this bill that THEY designed and wrote up!!!!!!! Even then, Bill is a DLC Democrat and I can only imagine that you don't know exactly what that means, do you?

You are correct about the corporate greed, however, as we continue to pay prices similar to and above for the same goods that were once made in our little neck of the worldwide woods and by our own population and with American derived raw materials!!!!!!!! I wonder just who benefited from those plant closures and relocations out of country?!?!?!???!??!??! Possibly the greedy ones?

Let me share with you a short story about my experience with a particular union, emmie. When my youngest son was in high school he took a job at a local Kroger store as a sack boy and stock clerk. They paid at that time the national minimum wage. On his first day of work he was approached by the local Teamster job steward who demanded he sign up to join, pay an initiation fee and pay weekly dues to the Teamsters. My son, being the bright boy he is, stalled the steward off and asked me about it when he got home that evening.

I explained to him that our state is an open shop state and that he was under no obligation whatsoever to join that union or pay any monies to it for any reason. I further advised him that should he remain in the employment with Kroger and achieved promotions and additional responsibilities that membership in the Teamsters might be more attractive and even prove to be of some benefit. As it turned out, guess who came knocking on my door while we were talking? Yes, it was the job steward!!!!!!

I invited him in and the 3 of us sat down at my kitchen table for a quick chat!!!!! In short, I explained to the man that no kid of mine would ever pay union dues for a minimum wage an hour gig. After a short period of time the steward left my house, a little worse for the wear and obviously a bit flustered. I asked my son what he thought about the situation and he told me that everything was understood and OK with him. The next day he went to work in the same position at a competitor grocery store that was actually closer to our home and he started right off making a quarter more than minimum wage and they were non-union, at least in our state. I think it all turned out for the best. Don't you?

On a little side note, the competitor store was a more affluently stocked one and it was not unusual for my kid to bring home $20 to $50 a day just in tips!!!!! Ain't life WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!

Hit it, Merle, I've Been A Workin' Man Dang Near All My Life: :salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute: