PDA

View Full Version : A Militia? A Force?

Yurt
08-16-2008, 10:26 PM
Before you scroll down, think about one thing, is your government enough to protect you?

I have talked with the original Guardians in NY when my dad took me to where he grew up. I was only in the 8th grade and NY created a huge impact on my world experience, notwithstanding growing up in San Diego and visiting dad every other weekend in LA. Before you judge them, and judge at will, think about their motives. I have my opinion, but reserve solely to see what others think.

Guardian Angels take up posts in Oakland

The Guardian Angels, the safety patrols with red berets, fanned out Friday evening in Oakland's Lake Merritt neighborhoods to deter hooded bandits from extending their streak of takeover robberies.

About a dozen members of the volunteer group began roving Grand and Lakeshore avenues at 6 p.m., at the invitation of Oakland Mayor Ron Dellums and the police.

Dellums and Police Chief Wayne Tucker, pressured by residents for safer streets and grappling with a police force stretched thin by violence that is increasingly affecting residents, called on the Angels this week.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/08/16/BAS412C21E.DTL

i suggest clicking on the link.

diuretic
08-17-2008, 05:05 AM
Interesting story Yurt thanks for that.

I remember reading that when they first started in NYC (I think - only think - that it might have been them riding the subway and patrolling stations at first and then branching out a bit later to the surface, not sure of that) the NYPD was furious. I think they unfairly demonised Curtis Sliwa and the GA. Good to see the Oakland PD chief being a bit mature about it.

DragonStryk72
08-17-2008, 09:12 AM
Wow, good for them, man. I mean, seriously, I've been saying there needs to be a militia for a bit now, and it looks like I'm not completely alone there. It is far past time that we started taking back the responsibility to protect our own neighborhoods.

82Marine89
08-17-2008, 09:29 AM
Growing up in NY, I was to young to be one when they started. Then I joined the Corps and forgot about them. Got to meet Curtis Sliwa once. You can tell by talking to him that he is a genuinely nice person. He's done good with his life and changed how people think about crime, taking back their neighborhoods, and standing up for themselves.

5stringJeff
08-17-2008, 07:47 PM
The government will never be enough to protect a free people. Personal use of firearms, however, can ensure one's personal safety.