PDA

View Full Version : Al Qaeda on the Ropes

red states rule
08-17-2008, 08:22 AM
AQ is losing the war on terror, and they know it. Now if only the defeatists would admit it

Al Qaeda at 20 Dead or Alive?

By Peter Bergen
Sunday, August 17, 2008; Page B01

Two decades after al-Qaeda was founded in the Pakistani border city of Peshawar by Osama bin Laden and a handful of veterans of the war against the Soviets in Afghanistan, the group is more famous and feared than ever. But its grand project -- to transform the Muslim world into a militant Islamist caliphate -- has been, by any measure, a resounding failure.

In large part, that's because Osama bin Laden's strategy for arriving at this Promised Land is a fantasy. Al-Qaeda's leader prides himself on being a big-think strategist, but for all his brains, leadership skills and charisma, he has fastened on an overall strategy that is self-defeating.

Bin Laden's main goal is to bring about regime change in the Middle East and to replace the governments in Cairo and Riyadh with Taliban-style theocracies. He believes that the way to accomplish this is to attack the "far enemy" (the United States), then watch as the supposedly impious, U.S.-backed Muslim regimes he calls the "near enemy" crumble.

This might have worked if the United States had turned out to be a paper tiger that could sustain only a few blows from al-Qaeda. But it didn't. Bin Laden's analysis showed no understanding of the vital interests -- oil, Israel and regional stability -- that undergird U.S. engagement in the Middle East, let alone the intensity of American outrage that would follow the first direct attack on the continental United States since the British burned the White House in 1814.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/15/AR2008081502981.html

MtnBiker
08-17-2008, 06:19 PM
I wonder what the Rand Corporation would think about this?

gabosaurus
08-17-2008, 07:38 PM
One of the most ludicrous topics ever. AQ is stronger than ever. It's like a 100-headed hydra. You cut off a few heads and it grows a dozen more.
As long as the U.S. maintains a military presence in Iraq, all the factions that would normally oppose AQ are united against a much more hated enemy -- the U.S. Leave AQ to its own methods and the internal struggles will begin anew.
It's not "cut and run." It's planting a time bomb and leaving.

manu1959
08-17-2008, 10:22 PM
One of the most ludicrous topics ever. AQ is stronger than ever. It's like a 100-headed hydra. You cut off a few heads and it grows a dozen more.
As long as the U.S. maintains a military presence in Iraq, all the factions that would normally oppose AQ are united against a much more hated enemy -- the U.S. Leave AQ to its own methods and the internal struggles will begin anew.
It's not "cut and run." It's planting a time bomb and leaving.

shouldn't you be spending time with that kid you purchased..........

Kathianne
08-17-2008, 10:36 PM
shouldn't you be spending time with that kid you purchased..........

Manu, her daughter probably told her to write that.

Psychoblues
08-17-2008, 11:02 PM
You think so, kitty?

Manu, her daughter probably told her to write that.

Do you disagree with the part about the 100 headed hydra or the time bomb we can set to kill off the enemies and where we lessen the load on our precious troops?

Hit it, Beatles, It's Been A Hard Days Night: :salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute:

Kathianne
08-17-2008, 11:09 PM
You think so, kitty?

Do you disagree with the part about the 100 headed hydra or the time bomb we can set to kill off the enemies and where we lessen the load on our precious troops?

Hit it, Beatles, It's Been A Hard Days Night: :salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute:

We are never going to agree and I will not get into a pissing match with you.
However, I think Al Queda in Iraq is kaput, though certainly the remnants may cause problems.

Al Queda as an entity is fractured into more autonomous cells, that will be very troubling in the future, but not as a result of Iraq as many on your side are wont to say. Rather a result of drying up of finance, drones, and the war in Afghanistan. If Pakistan would allow the US in, it might have been better, but they wouldn't and certainly won't now that Musharaff is out.

Psychoblues
08-17-2008, 11:30 PM
I am neither offering or encouraging any pissing contest with you or anyone else, kitty. The tentacles of al Queda extend far beyond the entities that you describe. How do you explain the revolutionary happenings in Indonesia, the Philippines, even in England and Spain and hundreds more locations?!??!?!?!??! I thinketh you underestimate the volatility of the problem the same as gwb did as he declared war on an innocent nation rather than focus on it's despicable leadership. Our own American intelligence community is up in arms and has been up in arms for years now at the multitude of ignorance and mistakes by the gwb administration and they certainly have every right to feel slighted by them, the administration!!!!!!!!!!

We are never going to agree and I will not get into a pissing match with you.
However, I think Al Queda in Iraq is kaput, though certainly the remnants may cause problems.

Al Queda as an entity is fractured into more autonomous cells, that will be very troubling in the future, but not as a result of Iraq as many on your side are wont to say. Rather a result of drying up of finance, drones, and the war in Afghanistan. If Pakistan would allow the US in, it might have been better, but they wouldn't and certainly won't now that Musharaff is out.

The attack on Iraq triggered action against America and American interests all over the muslim world and even in nations that are very sparsely populated with muslims. This is not going to go away anytime soon, kitty. Whether we leave Iraq or not, the game is set in the manner that only an idiot such as gwb and his minions could possibly allow. It's a very deep subject requiring some very comprehensive thinking and actions, kitty. I wish the same had been done prior to the attack on the innocents in Iraq.

Celebration would be inappropriate, however, if you want to party a bit I'll catch you in the Lounge!!!!!!!!!!

Kathianne
08-18-2008, 12:03 AM
PB, mustn't mix extremist Islam for Al Quaeda, though they were the ones that spread it, well not them, but what made them. Now that was as clear as mud. I'll add more tomorrow, too late to go hunting names and such.

Psychoblues
08-18-2008, 12:17 AM
There are many names and nomenclatures for al Queda, kat, but all of them use the dilemma of American disrespect for Islam and the messages of al Queda as an excuse for their misbehavior against the rest of us.

PB, mustn't mix extremist Islam for Al Quaeda, though they were the ones that spread it, well not them, but what made them. Now that was as clear as mud. I'll add more tomorrow, too late to go hunting names and such.

I appreciate your input and totally respect your observations!!!!!!

Can I get you another Cosmos, kat?!?!?!?!????!??!

Hit it, Buck, Together Again: :salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute:

Kathianne
08-18-2008, 12:20 AM
There are many names and nomenclatures for al Queda, kat, but all of them use the dilemma of American disrespect for Islam and the messages of al Queda as an excuse for their misbehavior against the rest of us.

I appreciate your input and totally respect your observations!!!!!!

Can I get you another Cosmos, kat?!?!?!?!????!??!

Hit it, Buck, Together Again: :salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute:

Actually has more to do with all non-Muslims being out of Middle East. Also has to do with their mission to spread Islam throughout the world. They can be here, not us there. As I said, more details tomorrow.

Get that cosmos fast, I'm heading to bed!

Psychoblues
08-18-2008, 12:37 AM
I've spent some time in the ME, kat, and I found they are much more religiously tolerant than is widely known elsewhere but mostly here in the USA.

Actually has more to do with all non-Muslims being out of Middle East. Also has to do with their mission to spread Islam throughout the world. They can be here, not us there. As I said, more details tomorrow.

Get that cosmos fast, I'm heading to bed!

Dubai, for instance, is built up almost exclusively for a non muslim and a non Arab population. This is common throughout the UAE. I can't abide slamming the ME with lies that only perpetuate the animosities many have for the extremists. I would encourage anyone to go there and see for yourselves that most muslims and inhabitants of the ME hold no such ideology as professed by only the most untravelled and ignorant amongst us.

Hit it, Willie, On The Road Again: :salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute:

red states rule
08-18-2008, 06:20 AM
You think so, kitty?

Those on the left never stop telling us how the war is lost despite all the good news about the demise of AQ

For years the left told us how we were losing in Iraq - now they ignore the successes

Liberals do live for the US to lose this war. The war they have dubbed "Bush's War"

Psychoblues
08-18-2008, 07:11 AM
Are you trying to be cute, rsr?

Those on the left never stop telling us how the war is lost despite all the good news about the demise of AQ

For years the left told us how we were losing in Iraq - now they ignore the successes

Liberals do live for the US to lose this war. The war they have dubbed "Bush's War"

Or are you just exhibiting your ignorance as usual?

Can I get you another inhalant?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Hit it, Allman Brothers, It Ain't My Cross To Bare: :salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute:

Kathianne
08-18-2008, 07:16 AM
I've spent some time in the ME, kat, and I found they are much more religiously tolerant than is widely known elsewhere but mostly here in the USA.

Dubai, for instance, is built up almost exclusively for a non muslim and a non Arab population. This is common throughout the UAE. I can't abide slamming the ME with lies that only perpetuate the animosities many have for the extremists. I would encourage anyone to go there and see for yourselves that most muslims and inhabitants of the ME hold no such ideology as professed by only the most untravelled and ignorant amongst us.

Hit it, Willie, On The Road Again: :salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute:

You picked the countries and said, "what about..." I just responded with extremist Islam, not all Muslims are extremists, PB.

red states rule
08-18-2008, 07:16 AM
Are you trying to be cute, rsr?

Or are you just exhibiting your ignorance as usual?

Can I get you another inhalant?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Hit it, Allman Brothers, It Ain't My Cross To Bare: :salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute:

It is a FACT the left invested their political future in the US losing in Iraq

You had elected Dems telling the people the war was lost, calling the troops cold bloded kilers, terrorists, uneducated, copared them to Nazi's and Pol Pot

Dems were holding hearings on Iraq and talking about troops deaths and how terrorists were controlling cities

NOW, they are saying NOTHING now that the troops have all but destroyed AQ in Iraq

The left went as far as attacking Gen Petraius with the MOveon.org "Gen Betray US" ad - and jerks like Murtha calling him a hack

Need more examples of the left and their "support"?

Psychoblues
08-18-2008, 07:27 AM
You can spit shit all you like, rsr, but it doesn't make it the truth.

It is a FACT the left invested their political future in the US losing in Iraq

You had elected Dems telling the people the war was lost, calling the troops cold bloded kilers, terrorists, uneducated, copared them to Nazi's and Pol Pot

Dems were holding hearings on Iraq and talking about troops deaths and how terrorists were controlling cities

NOW, they are saying NOTHING now that the troops have all but destroyed AQ in Iraq

The left went as far as attacking Gen Petraius with the MOveon.org "Gen Betray US" ad - and jerks like Murtha calling him a hack

Need more examples of the left and their "support"?

As you are so famous for saying, do you have a link?

I don't need you to Tell Me A Lie: :salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute:

red states rule
08-18-2008, 07:28 AM
You can spit shit all you like, rsr, but it doesn't make it the truth.

As you are so famous for saying, do you have a link?

I don't need you to Tell Me A Lie: :salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute:

Are you going to play dumb now? Everything I said is common knowledge, or are you saying the smears fromt he left NEVER happened?

Psychoblues
08-18-2008, 07:38 AM
Is that your silly game now, rsr? Trying to excuse your own ignorance and inability to produce on anything I have said?

Are you going to play dumb now? Everything I said is common knowledge, or are you saying the smears fromt he left NEVER happened?

You are weaker than I ever imagined. In fact, you are quite :lame2:

Could You Repeat That, Mister, I must've Been Dreaming: :salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute:

red states rule
08-18-2008, 07:39 AM
Is that your silly game now, rsr? Trying to excuse your own ignorance and inability to produce on anything I have said?

You are weaker than I ever imagined. In fact, you are quite :lame2:

Could You Repeat That, Mister, I must've Been Dreaming: :salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute:

So what are you saying is incorrect?

Psychoblues
08-18-2008, 07:48 AM
You didn't hear a damned word of it, did you, rsr?

So what are you saying is incorrect?

Give 'em hell, bitch. They don't deserve any less!!!!!!!!!!

Onward Xtian Soldiers: :salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute:

red states rule
08-18-2008, 07:57 AM
You didn't hear a damned word of it, did you, rsr?

Give 'em hell, bitch. They don't deserve any less!!!!!!!!!!

Onward Xtian Soldiers: :salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute:

Here are a few examples. Now act like your clone BP and dismiss them

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sYZEGot-xU4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sYZEGot-xU4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Fh4XUDWSvQw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Fh4XUDWSvQw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/K-tHfnTEMEU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/K-tHfnTEMEU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/b7FaSEQ-fKc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/b7FaSEQ-fKc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EXaoavV1d4s&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EXaoavV1d4s&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

“You know, education, if you make the most of it, if you study hard and you do your homework, and you make an effort to be smart, uh, you, you can do well. If you don’t, you get stuck in Iraq.” John Kerry

http://pol.moveon.org/images/PetraeusNYTad.jpg

Psychoblues
08-18-2008, 08:03 AM
If it weren't for cute videos and sound bytes you wouldn't have a life at all, would you, rsr?

How about them links? Are you afraid of the truth that might surface due to them?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Give 'em hell, cowgirl. I'm rootin' for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

red states rule
08-18-2008, 08:07 AM
If it weren't for cute videos and sound bytes you wouldn't have a life at all, would you, rsr?

How about them links? Are you afraid of the truth that might surface due to them?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Give 'em hell, cowgirl. I'm rootin' for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just like your buddies MFM and BP, confront a lib with facts and they change the subject and go into attack mode

I knew it would be a waste of time trying to have a civil discussion with you. Like MFM (who now is in full retreat from my posts) you are more interested in a political win then winning over the terrorists

Your party has smeared the troops and you say nothing. Those "sound bites" show how the Dems really feel about the troops, and how the "supported" them

You can dismiss it, and turn a blind eye if you want to

Psychoblues
08-18-2008, 08:12 AM
Talk about "full retreat"!!!!!!!! All you have left to do is whine like a whipped puppy, rsr.

Just like your buddies MFM and BP, confront a lib with facts and they change the subject and go into attack mode

I knew it would be a waste of time trying to have a civil discussion with you. Like MFM (who now is in full retreat from my posts) you are more interested in a political win then winning over the terrorists

Your party has smeared the troops and you say nothing. Those "sound bites" show how the Dems really feel about the troops, and how the "supported" them

You can dismiss it, and turn a blind eye if you want to

I never got those links that you promised. Are you having problems with your computer or do you just not have any to share?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I and many others have attempted civil discussion with you, rsr. You fail at every opportunity and venue. And now you want to project that failure on me?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?

Interesting!!!!!!!!

:salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute:

red states rule
08-18-2008, 08:15 AM
Talk about "full retreat"!!!!!!!! All you have left to do is whine like a whipped puppy, rsr.

I never got those links that you promised. Are you having problems with your computer or do you just not have any to share?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I and many others have attempted civil discussion with you, rsr. You fail at every opportunity and venue. And now you want to project that failure on me?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?

Interesting!!!!!!!!

MFM is a coward and a liar. I have exposed him for what he is, and that is why he no longer responds to me

I have provided the proof of the lefts support of the troops. I am not alone. In poll after poll more people feel MCain would be a better CIC then Obama

To have a civil discussion with the like of you, MFM, and BP people have to agree with you and never offer any proof to back up their claims

Psychoblues
08-18-2008, 08:25 AM
You don't have to repeat your past lies in order to justify your present ones, rsr. Can you not provide anything to back up your rather insane remarks?

red states rule
08-18-2008, 08:31 AM
You don't have to repeat your past lies in order to justify your present ones, rsr. Can you not provide anything to back up your rather insane remarks?

I have

In your world the Dems never said the war was lost, never insulted the troops, the liberal media never published classifed material on how the US was trakcing terroristsand their money, and Dems never said the surge was a waste of time, lives, and resources

However, I know that is false. I live in the real world PB. You should get out more and then you would know it as well

Even your guy Obama removed all his crap on how the surge was not working from his website before he went overseas and smeared America and snubbed the troops to shoot some baskets

retiredman
08-18-2008, 09:02 AM

Interesting!!!!!!!!

PB... fyi, I have had RSR on ignore for nearly two weeks, I think, simply because he refuses to do anything but whine about my past (apologized for) insults of him all the while continuting to insult me. You cannot have a rational discussion with him... all he does is spam the board with cut and paste oped pieces from conservative sites, post stupid cartoons and pictures, or repeat the same limbaugh talking points over and over and over again. I have found that life is much nicer without him in the picture. I highly recommend it, although I know from past experience that you are pistol whipping him with your words and superior intellect. For me, it became rather sordid, almost....like beating on a retarded kid on the playground.

red states rule
08-18-2008, 09:04 AM
PB... fyi, I have had RSR on ignore for nearly two weeks, I think, simply because he refuses to do anything but whine about my past (apologized for) insults of him all the while continuting to insult me. You cannot have a rational discussion with him... all he does is spam the board with cut and paste oped pieces from conservative sites, post stupid cartoons and pictures, or repeat the same limbaugh talking points over and over and over again. I have found that life is much nicer without him in the picture. I highly recommend it, although I know from past experience that you are pistol whipping him with your words and superior intellect. For me, it became rather sordid, almost....like beating on a retarded kid on the playground.

You read my threads and the yellow streak you have down your back prevents you from responding

So now you have your lackies try and do your dirty work for you.

Since you are not posting as much as you use to, fewer threads are being locked by the mods

Psychoblues
08-18-2008, 09:37 AM
Why, absolutely, Thank you, mfm, I think!!!!!!!!!!!

rsr is for entertainment purposes only. Even the most hardcore of the reichwingers here consider him at best a distraction.

I sure hope you have never beat a retarded kid on the playground, mfm. That would create sincere feelings of I am about to kick your cruel ass from me, can you dig it?!!?!!!??!?!??!

I know you were kidding, mfm!!!!!!!!! But that's the kind of kidding that can come back and bite you on the ass bigtime, don't you know?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Man, am I gettin' messed up!!!!!!!! I gotta crash as Tammye Baker says, Soon And Very Soon

emmett
08-18-2008, 09:50 PM
Why, absolutely, Thank you, mfm, I think!!!!!!!!!!!

rsr is for entertainment purposes only. Even the most hardcore of the reichwingers here consider him at best a distraction.

I sure hope you have never beat a retarded kid on the playground, mfm. That would create sincere feelings of I am about to kick your cruel ass from me, can you dig it?!!?!!!??!?!??!

I know you were kidding, mfm!!!!!!!!! But that's the kind of kidding that can come back and bite you on the ass bigtime, don't you know?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Man, am I gettin' messed up!!!!!!!! I gotta crash as Tammye Baker says, Soon And Very Soon

You asked for links David. He served them stright up to you. Links that show clearly what he claimed was said. You then ignored the point and attempted to change the subject. I'm suprised. You usually don't give up so easily.

In short Ol' buddy...........he bested you on this one!

Now when you get started on me which you will no doubt do for pointing out the obvious, remember this, I am not taking a side.

Liberals did do what RSR claims, they cut down the integrity of our soldiers, insulted our head man on the ground and echoed over and over that the surge would fail. Noone needs a link to know that but he gave you five perfect examples of it.

I'm no huge supporter of the so called "War" in Iraq but I am a realist. We have all but chased AQ back to the caves of Afganipak. Now if we could just be wise enough to park the USS Ohio or one of it's sister ships at a comfortable place in the Indian Ocean and mail them a flying fish we will have completed the job. THEN........we could come home, all before election time.

I would just love John Murtha's explanation of that. Trying to figure out how to credit the majority Democratic Congress with the success.

Hey Dave........RSR kicked your ass!

red states rule
08-18-2008, 10:52 PM
http://media.townhall.com/Townhall/Car/b/demspendin.jpg

gabosaurus
08-19-2008, 11:58 PM
Get real!! The additional deployment of troops merely added to the death count. AQ factions that were in one area "surged" to a different place, where they remain.
It's like your mom telling you to eat your carrots, so you throw half the carrots into your mashed potatoes and claim victory in your "war on carrots."
Perhaps some of you are stupid enough to believe the bullshit. The rest of us are not so gullible.

http://i34.tinypic.com/ei8k91.jpg

red states rule
08-20-2008, 05:43 AM
Yes Gabby, how typical your hate goes toward Pres Bush and not the terrorists that want you, your husband, and your daughter to convert or die

From a pro terrorist/anti war rally. I could not find one pic about AQ - only anti Pres Bush and anti America signs

http://whatreallyhappened.com/IMAGES/BritonsLondon.jpg

http://whatreallyhappened.com/IMAGES/phoenix1.jpg

http://whatreallyhappened.com/WRHARTICLES/protestphotos.html