PDA

View Full Version : China Confiscates Bibles From American Christians

Psychoblues
08-17-2008, 04:37 PM
Are we going to go to WAR for this?!?!?!??! Is the original gwb title of war on terror "Operation Crusade" going to finally kick in at this time?!??!?!?!?! This is an outrage for both country and religion!!!!!!!!!

Source: San Francisco Chronicle

Chinese customs officials confiscated more than 300 Bibles on Sunday from four American Christians who arrived in a southwestern city with plans to distribute them, the group's leader said.

The Bibles were taken from the group's checked luggage after they landed at the airport in the city of Kunming, said Pat Klein, head of Vision Beyond Borders. The group, based in Sheridan, Wyoming, distributes Bibles and Christian teaching materials around the world to "strengthen the persecuted church," according to its Web site.

The group arrived in China on Sunday and had intended to distribute the Bibles to people in the city, Klein told the AP in a telephone interview while still at the airport.

"I heard that there's freedom of religion in China, so why is there a problem for us to bring Bibles?" Klein said. "We had over 300 copies and customs took all of them from us.".........

More: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2008/08/17/international/i071729D87.DTL&type=politics

Thank You, Jesus, And Pass The Ammunition: :salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute:

actsnoblemartin
08-17-2008, 06:40 PM
how come no one will discuss how we dont give a dam about outright religious abuses against christians around the world? :poke:

Are we going to go to WAR for this?!?!?!??! Is the original gwb title of war on terror "Operation Crusade" going to finally kick in at this time?!??!?!?!?! This is an outrage for both country and religion!!!!!!!!!

Source: San Francisco Chronicle

Chinese customs officials confiscated more than 300 Bibles on Sunday from four American Christians who arrived in a southwestern city with plans to distribute them, the group's leader said.

The Bibles were taken from the group's checked luggage after they landed at the airport in the city of Kunming, said Pat Klein, head of Vision Beyond Borders. The group, based in Sheridan, Wyoming, distributes Bibles and Christian teaching materials around the world to "strengthen the persecuted church," according to its Web site.

The group arrived in China on Sunday and had intended to distribute the Bibles to people in the city, Klein told the AP in a telephone interview while still at the airport.

"I heard that there's freedom of religion in China, so why is there a problem for us to bring Bibles?" Klein said. "We had over 300 copies and customs took all of them from us.".........

More: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2008/08/17/international/i071729D87.DTL&type=politics

Thank You, Jesus, And Pass The Ammunition: :salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute:

April15
08-17-2008, 07:05 PM
That is so wrong! I am an atheist and feel everyone is entitled to thier personal beliefs on god.

Psychoblues
08-17-2008, 07:06 PM
Preach on, marteen, I'm listening!!!!!!!!!!!

how come no one will discuss how we dont give a dam about outright religious abuses against christians around the world? :poke:

There Will Be Peace In The Valley, Someday :salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute:

gabosaurus
08-17-2008, 07:11 PM
China has laws against such. What did you expect?

Psychoblues
08-17-2008, 07:20 PM
What kind of laws are you talking about, gabby? Laws against religion?

China has laws against such. What did you expect?

Am I now to listen to your sermons?!?!??!??!?!??!? I'm listening,,,,,,,,,,,,,

There Will Be Peace In The Valley Someday :salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute:

Kathianne
08-17-2008, 07:27 PM
What kind of laws are you talking about, gabby? Laws against religion?

Am I now to listen to your sermons?!?!??!??!?!??!? I'm listening,,,,,,,,,,,,,

There Will Be Peace In The Valley Someday :salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute:

Laws against evangelizing:

http://www.slate.com/id/2196888/

Psychoblues
08-17-2008, 07:43 PM
I wish someone would keep the Jehovah's Witnesses and Seventh Day Adventists out of my neighborhood!!!!!!!!! Damn, they're a pain in the ass to have to deal with!!!!!!!!!!

Laws against evangelizing:

http://www.slate.com/id/2196888/

More seriously, kitty, I think the proselytizers (not evangelists) had a lot of nerve in entering a foreign country on false pretense, not understanding the culture and then blaming the host nation for not appreciating their clear intent to interfere, can you dig it?

There Will Be Peace In The Valley, Someday: :salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute:

Kathianne
08-17-2008, 07:49 PM
I wish someone would keep the Jehovah's Witnesses and Seventh Day Adventists out of my neighborhood!!!!!!!!! Damn, they're a pain in the ass to have to deal with!!!!!!!!!!

More seriously, kitty, I think the proselytizers (not evangelists) had a lot of nerve in entering a foreign country on false pretense, not understanding the culture and then blaming the host nation for not appreciating their clear intent to interfere, can you dig it?

There Will Be Peace In The Valley, Someday: :salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute:

Don't see me disagreeing. I don't open my door to any peddlers, of religion or magazines. Is there a difference?

actsnoblemartin
08-17-2008, 07:49 PM
being obnoxious is not a crime, atleast i dont think it should be :laugh2:

Noir
08-17-2008, 07:59 PM
dear blesses, they expected to go into china with a couple of hundred bibles and freely had them out?! In for a penny in for a pound, they may aswell have gone to north Korea. What fools.

Psychoblues
08-17-2008, 09:34 PM
Not much difference that I can tell, kitty, but how do you know what these people might be doing as they knock on your door or accost you in some other way?

Don't see me disagreeing. I don't open my door to any peddlers, of religion or magazines. Is there a difference?

I have heard more than once an irate and totally ignorant American screaming at the top of their lungs about their displeasure at the lack of communicative abilities of others they find in foreign countries. If I am quick enough and have the hardware, I generally pull out a mirror, put it in front of their faces and ask, "Is this the stupid sonofabitch you're mad at?"

Can I buy you a Cosmos?!????!?!?

13 Bottles Of Beer On The Wall, 13 Bottles Of Beer: :salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute:

theHawk
08-18-2008, 12:51 PM
Communism at its best! And to think, we can get some of the same just by voting for "O"!

Abbey Marie
08-18-2008, 04:22 PM
So, does anyone ask themselves why China is afraid of the Bible?

manu1959
08-18-2008, 04:42 PM
So, does anyone ask themselves why China is afraid of the Bible?

there are christian churches in china........

Abbey Marie
08-18-2008, 04:55 PM

So then why the ban?

If these chruches cannot evangelize, then they are not being allowed to follow Christ's teachings. Not so very Christian.

manu1959
08-18-2008, 04:56 PM
So then why the ban?

If these chruches cannot evangelize, then they are not being allowed to follow Christ's teachings. Not so very Christian.

the bible isn't banned......an individual bring in multiple copies is against the law.....

Abbey Marie
08-18-2008, 04:59 PM
the bible isn't banned......an individual bring in multiple copies is against the law.....

Again, why? What is the fear?

manu1959
08-18-2008, 05:03 PM
Again, why? What is the fear?

maybe it violates their import export laws.....i had five pairs of levis confiscated at the moscow airport.....can't be fear though or christian churches wouldn't exist in china....

or i could be wrong.........according to the article

But the group said Monday that the U.S. Embassy told them the Chinese would abide by a law that forbids bringing religious products into the communist nation for more than personal use.

China's officially atheistic government prohibits proselytizing and is worried that if the spread of religion goes unchecked, believers might ultimately challenge the Communist Party's authority.

Abbey Marie
08-18-2008, 05:05 PM
maybe it violates their import export laws.....i had five pairs of levis confiscated at the moscow airport.....can't be fear though or christian churches wouldn't exist in china....

Somehow, I doubt that's the whole story.

manu1959
08-18-2008, 05:07 PM
Somehow, I doubt that's the whole story.

re-read the article....i posted the main reason communist countries don't like religion....they want you to worship the government....

Abbey Marie
08-18-2008, 05:10 PM
re-read the article....i posted the main reason communist countries don't like religion....they want you to worship the government....

Yes, it's the biggest fear of any Communist regime- a citizenry armed with knowledge.

manu1959
08-18-2008, 05:12 PM
Yes, it's the biggest fear of any Communist regime- a citizenry armed with knowledge.

actually it is the biggest fear of almost any government.....

Yurt
08-18-2008, 05:24 PM

sadly true

retiredman
08-18-2008, 05:31 PM

". . . whenever the people are well-informed, they can be trusted with their own government; that, whenever things get so far wrong as to attract their notice, they may be relied on to set them right." Thomas Jefferson

Psychoblues
08-20-2008, 10:49 PM
I corrected your quote to more accurately depict the state of American politics, Abbey.

I don't imagine that you get it. Sad,,,,,,,,,,,,,

:salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute:

Psychoblues
08-21-2008, 12:47 AM
But, you've often spoken out against being obnoxious, marteen?!?!?!?!?!?!?

being obnoxious is not a crime, atleast i dont think it should be :laugh2:

Am I to now believe that you embrace dissent?!?!?!?!?!?!?!???!

Thanks for all you do, marteen!!!!!!!! I was correct a while back when I called you "Dynamo"!!!!!!!!!!!

Can I get you a cold H20?

DragonStryk72
08-21-2008, 01:01 AM
Hm, well, it seems simple to me: The Chinese have a pretty blatant feeling about this, and I've been there before, so I know there are churches in the country, but they are really hardcore about their laws.

there no excuse here for not knowing it even, since the US Embassy told them flat out that they had strict laws against it.

It isn't a "fear" of religion, or want of an ignorant population, since they are free to privately practice their own faiths, it's more that they are distrustful of "outsiders" (Yes, they are friendly in general, as long as you respect their rules), and believe that religion, as per communist dogma, is "opiate of the masses".

crin63
08-21-2008, 01:05 AM
Anyone going into China with that many Bibles either expected that this might happen or they are just foolish. Nice try, great idea but it didn't happen. Its a communist regime, hello!

Psychoblues
08-21-2008, 01:07 AM
Are you saying they should have kept their noses up their asses and out of the people's business, ds'72?

Hm, well, it seems simple to me: The Chinese have a pretty blatant feeling about this, and I've been there before, so I know there are churches in the country, but they are really hardcore about their laws.

there no excuse here for not knowing it even, since the US Embassy told them flat out that they had strict laws against it.

It isn't a "fear" of religion, or want of an ignorant population, since they are free to privately practice their own faiths, it's more that they are distrustful of "outsiders" (Yes, they are friendly in general, as long as you respect their rules), and believe that religion, as per communist dogma, is "opiate of the masses".

"Opiate of the masses",,,,,,,,,,,,interesting..............

DragonStryk72
08-21-2008, 01:15 AM
Are you saying they should have kept their noses up their asses and out of the people's business, ds'72?

"Opiate of the masses",,,,,,,,,,,,interesting..............

what I'm saying is, while the thought was meant in a good way, they disrespected the very place they were going to in order to do it. Not every country is the US, and nor does it need to be. Most of the Chinese people are quite happy with their government. and the severe problems of their spring into communism are a thing of the past as well.

They weren't beaten, hurt or harmed in anyway, they merely got the goods they were bringing in illegally taken away. I don't see that as being out of the question. Helping people is one thing, but seriously, China was the worst place they could think of? You don't think there's anyone in say Darfur who could faith more than the Chinese, who already have abundant churches?

Psychoblues
08-21-2008, 01:22 AM
Great post, ds'72!!!!!! I tried to rep you for it but it said I couldn't!!!!!!! I owe you, my friend!!!!!

I told my kids back during the cold war that any Russian or Soviet citizen would gladly kill them dead should they trespass or otherwise make any claim on what they considered their own. The misery behind the iron curtain was as much a myth then as it is now!!!!!!

PostmodernProphet
08-21-2008, 06:40 AM

official state approved churches are allowed....church leaders are appointed by the government.......there is also a very active home church movement.....estimates are that home churches outnumber "official" churches approximately ten to one.....

PostmodernProphet
08-21-2008, 06:43 AM
I know a guy who spent thirty years of his life smuggling bibles into China.....less important now, since internet use has expanded greatly.....it is impossible to block all the web sites that make the bible available to download......

crin63
08-21-2008, 09:52 AM
I know a guy who spent thirty years of his life smuggling bibles into China.....less important now, since internet use has expanded greatly.....it is impossible to block all the web sites that make the bible available to download......

A pastor friend of mine has all his sermons transcribed into Chinese and posted on his website. He gets thousands of hits a month from mainland China.