PDA

View Full Version : Justice Dept. Moves Toward Charges Against Contractors (Blackwater) in Iraq Shooting

Psychoblues
08-17-2008, 04:50 PM
This had to happen. And I don't think it will be pretty.

Source: Washington Post

Federal prosecutors have sent target letters to six Blackwater Worldwide security guards involved in a September shooting that left 17 Iraqi civilians dead, indicating a high likelihood the Justice Department will seek to indict at least some of the men, according to three sources close to the case.

The guards, all former U.S. military personnel, were working as security contractors for the State Department, assigned to protect U.S. diplomats and other non-military officials in Iraq. The shooting occurred when their convoy arrived at a busy square in central Baghdad and guards tried to stop traffic.

An Iraqi government investigation concluded that the security contractors fired without provocation. Blackwater has said its personnel acted in self-defense.

The sources said that any charges against the guards would likely be brought under the Military Extraterritorial Jurisdiction Act, which has previously been used to prosecute only the cases referred to the Justice Department by the Defense Department for crimes committed by military personnel and contractors overseas. Legal experts have questioned whether contractors working for the State Department can be prosecuted under its provisions.

The sources cautioned that prosecutors are still weighing evidence gathered in a 10-month investigation that began shortly after the shootings. A federal grand jury has heard testimony from about three dozen witnesses since November, including U.S. and Blackwater officials and Iraqis, according to two of the sources...........

More: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/16/AR2008081601967.html?hpid=topnews

Winning the hearts and souls of the people in war torn societies isn't what it's cracked up to be, is it?

Otherwise,,,,,,,,

:salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute:

Psychoblues
08-20-2008, 10:42 PM
I really thought the patriots would assemble around this one. Where have all the patriots gone?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!

manu1959
08-20-2008, 10:50 PM
if found guilty punnish them......

how are the war crimes trials comming on all the freedom fighters ..... the guys that hung people from bridges and cut their heads off on video.....

Psychoblues
08-20-2008, 10:59 PM
I think the administration is dragging their feet on these ones, m'59.

how are the war crimes trials comming on all the freedom fighters ..... the guys that hung people from bridges and cut their heads off on video.....

So far they have found the driver for Osama BL guilty of driving for Osama BL even though he admitted it from the very beginning!!!!!!!!

Ain't life a bitch,,,,,and expensive, too!!!!!!!!

Yurt
08-20-2008, 11:12 PM

yeah, don't hear psydeshow talking about that do you

Psychoblues
08-20-2008, 11:18 PM
I answered the comment, yuk.

yeah, don't hear psydeshow talking about that do you

Are you just spitting shit as usual?

theHawk
08-20-2008, 11:21 PM
I'm not surprised in the least bit PB would be ecstatic over the thought of ex-military guards being thrown in jail for defending themselves.

Yurt
08-20-2008, 11:23 PM
I answered the comment, yuk.

Are you just spitting shit as usual?

oh dear, one reply, not much talk psydeshow, you are more concerned about bringing american troops home and putting them in the slammer than getting riled up about those who murder our troops....i bet dollar to pesos that you have more posts/threads about negative activity by the troops and bush than you do about the muslims who behead our guys.

Psychoblues
08-20-2008, 11:25 PM
And I wouldn't at all be surprised that the hawk would be ecstatic over the thought of military contractors abusing their authority, abusing the spirit of their missions and pissing on the good name of American good will.

I'm not surprised in the least bit PB would be ecstatic over the thought of ex-military guards being thrown in jail for defending themselves.

I'm not surprised at all, don't you know?!?!??!?!!?!?!?!?

Otherwise: :salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute: