PDA

View Full Version : Important!!! Iran Launches Satellite Carrier

Psychoblues
08-17-2008, 11:43 PM
This means ICBM's are't going to be far behind. Nuclear or not is not the question that will dog our military experts, diplomats and executive leadership from this point forward regarding Iran.

Source: BBC NEWS

Iran says it has successfully launched a rocket capable of carrying its first domestically built satellite.

Officials said only the rocket had been fired, correcting state media reports that the communications satellite itself had been sent into orbit.

Tehran has pursued a space programme for years, despite international concern over its nuclear plans.

In February it sent a probe into space as part of preparations for the launch of the satellite...............

More: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_depth/7566804.stm

This is not going to sit well in the White House, no matter who is sitting there, or in the Pentagon.

Possibly inappropriate, Praise Jesus And Pass The Ammunition: :salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute:

No1tovote4
08-18-2008, 10:20 PM
This is very serious, just like China launched the dude into orbit and brought him back to prove ICBM capacity, so too will Iran go the same route.

This is huge if they really are capable of launching a satellite into orbit.

Dilloduck
08-18-2008, 10:30 PM
Whew-- I thought they had launched an aircraft carrier into space for a second there. Now THAT would have REALLY been something !:laugh2:

08-18-2008, 11:59 PM
Why aren't we seeing this in the US media?

Kathianne
08-19-2008, 04:26 AM
Why aren't we seeing this in the US media?

It was on Yahoo News. Here's the NY Times link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/19/world/middleeast/19iran.html?ref=world

August 19, 2008
Iran Offers to Launch Satellites
By NAZILA FATHI and THOM SHANKER

TEHRAN — A day after Iran declared that it had test fired a new rocket capable of launching a satellite, the country said Monday that it was prepared to help other Muslim countries send up satellites. But by then, Pentagon and military officials in Washington were concluding that the Iranian missile launching had been a failure.

The officials, speaking on ground rules of anonymity to discuss intelligence reports, said the first stage of the missile performed successfully, but the second stage failed. It flew off wildly, they said, destroying the top of the missile and its nose cone.

Despite the mission’s overall failure, the launching was expected to add to Iran’s knowledge about how to improve its missile skills, and thus was still viewed as a worrisome development, according to the American officials.

A rocket that can carry a satellite to space could also deliver nuclear warheads, and the Iranian announcement added to concerns over whether Iran’s nuclear program is for purely peaceful purposes, as Iran maintains. ...

Nukeman
08-19-2008, 06:43 AM
Here's the scary thing, If they are capable of putting a satalite into earth orbit of 400m up than what is to stop the little lunatic over there from lauching a EMP at 400 mile above the US. You realize that this would take out most electronics in souther Canada, all the US and most of Mexico..

This will effectively put us back at the turn of the last century. It would be more devistating than an actual nuclear attack on a large city. I would welcome the traditional attack way before I would an EMP at that hieght. The mass confusion and rioting that woudl take place would be impossible to contain.

Gaffer
08-19-2008, 08:10 AM
Here's the scary thing, If they are capable of putting a satalite into earth orbit of 400m up than what is to stop the little lunatic over there from lauching a EMP at 400 mile above the US. You realize that this would take out most electronics in souther Canada, all the US and most of Mexico..

This will effectively put us back at the turn of the last century. It would be more devistating than an actual nuclear attack on a large city. I would welcome the traditional attack way before I would an EMP at that hieght. The mass confusion and rioting that woudl take place would be impossible to contain.

So true. I have said it repeatedly that they were working on this. And it is purely as a means to strike the US. They don't need a lot of nukes to cripple the country if they make an EMP strike. This is why its critical they don't get nukes or the means to deliver them.

The Bare Knuckled Pundit
08-20-2008, 08:58 AM
So true. I have said it repeatedly that they were working on this. And it is purely as a means to strike the US. They don't need a lot of nukes to cripple the country if they make an EMP strike. This is why its critical they don't get nukes or the means to deliver them.

One doesn't need an ICBM to pull off an effective EMP attack on the US, actually.

Put a Shahab-3 on a cargo freighter; sail to the Atlantic Coast; roll it out on deck and launch. The 930 mile range would be more than sufficient to place it over the Midwest.

Pfft; out go the lights.

Furthermore, it would be detected too late to identify the source or initiate a missile defense response from the current interceptor system.

I think one of the more interesting questions often ignored in this debate is how our adversaries might respond once it became clear what happened. Would Russia, China or North Korea view it as a golden opportunity too good to pass up? Would they then attack the US in the belief we could neither detect its origin or respond?

Just something to consider, my friends.

Highly sneaky and highly effective.

Psychoblues
08-20-2008, 10:02 PM
As the post indicates and with overwhelming recognition, this is a serious advancement in the military ambitions of the final and very last member of the axis of evil.

Gaffer
08-21-2008, 09:34 AM
One doesn't need an ICBM to pull off an effective EMP attack on the US, actually.

Put a Shahab-3 on a cargo freighter; sail to the Atlantic Coast; roll it out on deck and launch. The 930 mile range would be more than sufficient to place it over the Midwest.

Pfft; out go the lights.

Furthermore, it would be detected too late to identify the source or initiate a missile defense response from the current interceptor system.

I think one of the more interesting questions often ignored in this debate is how our adversaries might respond once it became clear what happened. Would Russia, China or North Korea view it as a golden opportunity too good to pass up? Would they then attack the US in the belief we could neither detect its origin or respond?

Just something to consider, my friends.

Highly sneaky and highly effective.

Your very correct on the sea attack, and it's much more likely than an ICBM. But an EMP attack has to be conducted at a high altitude to be completely effective. The smaller rockets don't have that ability. But they could devastate the coastal regions.

As for russia and china. Even if our entire country was blacked out, the missile systems are protected from such attacks. And we have many nuclear subs they can track that are capable of knocking our their countries and cities as well. Any country that is deemed a threat would be targeted. If we are going to be kicked into the dark ages we will take the rest of the world with us.

Psychoblues
08-23-2008, 01:41 AM
Thanks, Kat!!!!!!!!!!

It was on Yahoo News. Here's the NY Times link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/19/world/middleeast/19iran.html?ref=world

:salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute: