PDA

View Full Version : British "Beliefs" of America Actions Are Misinformed

Kathianne
08-18-2008, 07:57 AM
Granted the group that commissioned the survey is made up of pro-American Britons and Americans in Britain, nevertheless the few Brits we've had on the boards did have these types of biases:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/2575395/British-anti-Americanism-based-on-misconceptions.html

British anti-Americanism 'based on misconceptions'
British attitudes towards the United States are governed by ignorance of the facts on key issues such as crime, health care and foreign policy, according to a new survey.

A poll of nearly 2,000 Britons by YouGov/PHI found that 70 per cent of respondents incorrectly said it was true that the US had done a worse job than the European Union in reducing carbon emissions since 2000. More than 50 per cent presumed that polygamy was legal in the US, when it is illegal in all 50 states....

The survey showed that a majority agreed with the false statement that since the Second World War the US had more often sided with non-Muslims when they had come into conflict with Muslims. In fact in 11 out of 12 major conflicts between Muslims and non-Muslims, Muslims and secular forces, or Arabs and non-Arabs, the US has sided with the former group. Those conflicts included Turkey and Greece, Bosnia and Yugoslavia, and and Kosovo and Yugoslavia.

Asked if it was true that "from 1973 to 1990 the United States sold Saddam Hussein more than a quarter of his weapons," 80 per cent of British respondents said yes. However the US sold just 0.46 per cent of Saddam's arsenal to him, compared to Russia's 57 per cent, France's 13 per cent and China's 12 per cent.

"Ideas get around. Perhaps it's that old picture of Donald Rumsfeld with Saddam," suggested Mr Montgomerie, whose website includes a petition against anti-Americanism...

Almost a third of Britons believe that "Americans who have not paid their hospitals fees or insurance premiums are not entitled to emergency medical care"; by law such treatment must be provided.

More than half the respondents believed that polygamy is legal in some US states, while it is illegal in all US states.

Most Britons were unaware of positive aspects of the US, such as the robust environmental movement or the social justice work of evangelical churches, he said....

Gaffer
08-18-2008, 09:14 AM
Considering the left wing media control in Britain this is not surprising.

Noir
08-18-2008, 10:46 AM
Every nation is ignorant to other nations, it's just a fact of life, I've heard god knows how many Americans say things which ate simply stupid, I even had one say to be ''cool you live in ireland, that's near austraila (sp?) yeah?"

But as I said there are ignorant fools on every country.

Btw polygamy?

Monkeybone
08-18-2008, 11:57 AM
polygamy is multiple wives

Abbey Marie
08-18-2008, 04:46 PM
Every nation is ignorant to other nations, it's just a fact of life, I've heard god knows how many Americans say things which ate simply stupid, I even had one say to be ''cool you live in ireland, that's near austraila (sp?) yeah?"

But as I said there are ignorant fools on every country.

Btw polygamy?

I'm not disagreeing, but perhaps armed with knowledge of this lack of knowledge, people should shut their pie holes when criticizing other countries. It seems to me that your entire continent likes nothing more than to take uninformed pot shots at the U. S.

P.S. No offense to England- I enjoyed visiting there very much.

Noir
08-18-2008, 05:10 PM
polygamy is multiple wives

ah yes, cheers, I think I memo an Oscar Wilde quote that said 'polygamy is having one wife too many, monogamy is the same'.

Noir
08-18-2008, 06:54 PM
I'm not disagreeing, but perhaps armed with knowledge of this lack of knowledge, people should shut their pie holes when criticizing other countries. It seems to me that your entire continent likes nothing more than to take uninformed pot shots at the U. S.

P.S. No offense to England- I enjoyed visiting there very much.

I agree, likewise for Americans who sterotype Europe and the middle east in ignorance,

P.s I don't live in England I live in Northern Ireland.

Trigg
08-18-2008, 07:00 PM
I agree, likewise for Americans who sterotype Europe and the middle east in ignorance,

P.s I don't live in England I live in Northern Ireland.

While I'd agree that most Americans think that the people in the Middle East are ignorant I don't think Europeans are thought of like that.

The only Europeans that have a stereotype are the French IMO, and they're just thought of as rude.

No1tovote4
08-18-2008, 10:13 PM
Granted the group that commissioned the survey is made up of pro-American Britons and Americans in Britain, nevertheless the few Brits we've had on the boards did have these types of biases:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/2575395/British-anti-Americanism-based-on-misconceptions.html

This fits right in with the BBC admitting anti-American bias in its reporting...

Kathianne
08-19-2008, 04:40 AM
This fits right in with the BBC admitting anti-American bias in its reporting...

Exactly. BBC has been taking a more 'nuanced' approach of late. My guess influenced by geopolitical changes that have become more obvious. At the same time, the governments and press of Europe still think the US will come and be the cop before things get 'too bad.' For all the history they have from WWI and WWII, they should know better.

diuretic
08-19-2008, 05:22 AM
I'm not in Britain but the only left wing press I can think of there by repuation over the years is the Guardian and perhaps the Independent and the Daily Mirror which has historically been sympathetic to Labour. There could be others but I'm not familiar with all of them. The Telegraph is quite right wing, as is The Times and the Mail.

Old joke:

The Times:
Read by the people who run the country.

Daily Mirror:
Read by the people who think they run the country.

Guardian:
Read by the people who think they ought to run the country.

Morning Star:
Read by the people who think the country ought to be run by another country (used to be sympathetic to CPSU - Communist Party of the Soviet Union)

Daily Mail:
Read by the wives of the people who own the country.

Financial Times:
Read by the people who own the country.

Daily Express:
Read by the people who think that the country ought to be run as it used to be.

Daily Telegraph:
Read by the people who think it still is.

The Sun:
Their readers don''t care who runs the country as long as she has big tits. :laugh2:

Noir
08-20-2008, 08:15 AM
I'm not in Britain but the only left wing press I can think of there by repuation over the years is the Guardian and perhaps the Independent and the Daily Mirror which has historically been sympathetic to Labour. There could be others but I'm not familiar with all of them. The Telegraph is quite right wing, as is The Times and the Mail.

Old joke:

The Times:
Read by the people who run the country.

Daily Mirror:
Read by the people who think they run the country.

Guardian:
Read by the people who think they ought to run the country.

Morning Star:
Read by the people who think the country ought to be run by another country (used to be sympathetic to CPSU - Communist Party of the Soviet Union)

Daily Mail:
Read by the wives of the people who own the country.

Financial Times:
Read by the people who own the country.

Daily Express:
Read by the people who think that the country ought to be run as it used to be.

Daily Telegraph:
Read by the people who think it still is.

The Sun:
Their readers don''t care who runs the country as long as she has big tits. :laugh2:

:laugh2:
I memo that joke from ages ago, i think it was on Yes Minister (or Yes Prime minister), not sure though.
The only reliable news source in print is Private Eye.