PDA

View Full Version : Cancer vaccine being forced on girls

03-12-2007, 01:17 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070312/ap_on_re_us/cancer_vaccine_n_m

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. - New Mexico is on the verge of becoming the latest state to require sixth-grade girls to be vaccinated against a sexually transmitted virus that can cause cervical cancer, a spokesman for the governor said Monday.

The state House approved the bill Sunday, and Gov. Bill Richardson will sign it once he receives the legislation, spokesman Gilbert Gallegos said.

"This is an important anti-cancer vaccine, and the governor believes it's imperative for all girls to be protected against cervical cancer," Gallegos said.

He said the bill will go into effect 90 days after it is signed.

Texas is the only state to require the vaccine so far, but other states are considering doing the same. While federal regulators have approved the vaccine, the issue of making it a requirement for girls has been surrounded by controversy.

Merck & Co., the vaccine's maker, said last month that it would suspend a behind-the-scenes lobbying campaign to get states to require it for school-age girls because of pressure from parents and medical groups.

Texas Gov. Rick Perry sidestepped his state's Legislature when he ordered the shots for girls entering the sixth grade there starting in September 2008. He has since had to defend his relationship with Merck; The Associated Press reported Perry's chief of staff met with key aides about the vaccine on the same day Merck's political action committee donated money to the governor's campaign.

It wasn't known if Merck had lobbied New Mexico officials.

Virginia lawmakers passed a similar law, which Gov. Timothy M. Kaine has said he would sign. Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick's budget proposal calls for providing the vaccine for free to all girls 9 to 18 who want it.

Legislation to require the vaccine or promote it have been introduced in other states as well.

The federal government approved Gardasil, a three-dose vaccine that protects against the human papilloma virus, or HPV, in June for females ages 9 to 26. The vaccine protects against HPV strains that cause cervical, vulvar and vaginal cancers and genital warts.

More than 500 cases of mostly minor side effects have been reported in girls and women who got the vaccine. Government health officials said last month that no additional warning labels are needed.

They want to give a vaccine of an STD to sixth graders. If the parents want their kids to get them great, but I dont think they should be forced to get them. Especially when the virus can be avoided without a vaccine.

glockmail
03-12-2007, 02:39 PM
They want to give a vaccine of an STD to sixth graders. If the parents want their kids to get them great, but I dont think they should be forced to get them. Especially when the virus can be avoided without a vaccine. True, as its not the public health issue here. Teenage and pre-marital sex is.

5stringJeff
03-12-2007, 03:03 PM
I've got mixed feelings. On one hand, yes, many cases of cervical cancer (I think I've read 60-70%) is caused by HPV. So vaccinating women makes sense, to keep cancer rates low. On the other hand, you get HPV through sex. But, let's say that a woman marries a man who, in his younger days, had sex with someone else and became a carrier of HPV. Now, his wife didn't make any immoral choices, but is now at risk of cervical cancer. So, all in all, I think it is a good preventative measure.

03-12-2007, 03:08 PM
I've got mixed feelings. On one hand, yes, many cases of cervical cancer (I think I've read 60-70%) is caused by HPV. So vaccinating women makes sense, to keep cancer rates low. On the other hand, you get HPV through sex. But, let's say that a woman marries a man who, in his younger days, had sex with someone else and became a carrier of HPV. Now, his wife didn't make any immoral choices, but is now at risk of cervical cancer. So, all in all, I think it is a good preventative measure.

I think the biggest controversy is over much of potential side effect from what I've heard.

CockySOB
03-12-2007, 03:32 PM
If this is the Gardasil vaccination, then I have no problems making this part of standardized immunization policy. Frankly, the time to have a girl vaccinated is BEFORE she becomes sexually active, as the vaccination is nearly 100% effective when administered to someone without HPV. And although not 100% effective, it seems to greatly diminish the possibility of cancer for women already carrying genital HPV. Something else to consider, right now boosters are scheduled for around 5 years, although the treatment is new enough that the booster time frame may grow larger down the road.

And I know someone probably mentioned the side effects. Again, if this Gardasil, then the only major side effect is temporary soreness around the injection site. If anyone has citations showing other side effects, please post the link.

LiberalNation
03-12-2007, 03:34 PM
I think this becoming a madatory vaccine is a good idea. My state is trying, hope they succede.

Abbey Marie
03-12-2007, 03:43 PM
Hmmm. Good idea or not, it's a somewhat invasive procedure, so what happened to those feminist chants of "My body, my choice", and "Get your laws off my body". And last but not least, that invisible Constitutional right to privacy that women hold so dear.

glockmail
03-12-2007, 04:08 PM
Hmmm. Good idea or not, it's a somewhat invasive procedure, so what happened to those feminist chants of "My body, my choice", and "Get your laws off my body". And last but not least, that invisible Constitutional right to privacy that women hold so dear. As this would give youngin's less hesitation about having sex with anyone at any time, The femanazis want this done by the guv'mint. Frankly I'm surprised they don't support pole dancing at street corners.

Abbey Marie
03-12-2007, 04:12 PM
As this would give youngin's less hesitation about having sex with anyone at any time, The femanazis want this done by the guv'mint. Frankly I'm surprised they don't support pole dancing at street corners.

:lmao:

Rep for that one!

LiberalNation
03-12-2007, 04:15 PM
Now what's wrong with pole dancing.

As for this, you can get a religious exemption or whatever. This shot wont make kids wont to have sex. Stupidest thing I ever heard.

Abbey Marie
03-12-2007, 04:18 PM
Now what's wrong with pole dancing.

http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/bgr0046l.jpg

LiberalNation
03-12-2007, 04:20 PM
lol

glockmail
03-12-2007, 04:21 PM
...This shot wont make kids wont to have sex. Stupidest thing I ever heard.

That's not what I said. Its just one more barrier to a dangerous and unhealthy activity that is removed.

Did you ever read "Lord of the Flies"? That's the society that you are advocating.

LiberalNation
03-12-2007, 04:22 PM
No haven't read it.

gabosaurus
03-12-2007, 04:22 PM
As cocky SOB said, the time to vaccinate is before girls begin considering sex. If this was an STD effecting males, it would already be law.
Just another example of the fundies wishing death on people who violate their moral standards.

Mr. P
03-12-2007, 04:26 PM
This may very well be a good thing; however, it should be a 100% private decision. There is no public health risk here that would justify required vaccination.

Got grief, it wasn’t 6-8 months ago that NYC made trans fat illegal for “YOUR” own good, some of us asked then what’s next back then. Well looky here! Also follow the $$$$$ on this one.

gabosaurus
03-12-2007, 04:31 PM
So you are against preventing cancer? :lame2:

glockmail
03-12-2007, 04:33 PM
No haven't read it. It is required reading in most HS curriculums. I read it about 100 years ago. My son finished it last semester. There are at least two movie versions out.

Its about what happens to a group of Brit schoolboys shipwrecked on an Island and all the adults are gone.

glockmail
03-12-2007, 04:35 PM
post 1 :lame2:

LiberalNation
03-12-2007, 04:44 PM
It is required reading in most HS curriculums. I read it about 100 years ago. My son finished it last semester. There are at least two movie versions out.

Its about what happens to a group of Brit schoolboys shipwrecked on an Island and all the adults are gone.
Sounds cool. It's not in our curriculum I don't believe.

glockmail
03-12-2007, 07:45 PM
Sounds cool. It's not in our curriculum I don't believe. You otta read it.

03-12-2007, 08:07 PM

Im against forcing people to have medical procedures without a compelling government interest.

Dilloduck
03-12-2007, 09:14 PM
Im against forcing people to have medical procedures without a compelling government interest.

That pretty much says it all in spite of all the accusations of victimizing women.

Abbey Marie
03-12-2007, 10:26 PM

That raises an interesting point. What do you think of chemical castration for repeat rapists and child molesters?

manu1959
03-12-2007, 10:45 PM
my wife and i were meeting with her ob today .....

he is so excited about this new vaccine.... cervical cancer is caused by a virus and this vaccine will stop it..... it will do for cervical cancer what the polio vaccine did to polio.....my daughter will be vacinated....same as she was for polio, diptheria, tb, etc....

that said...no one should be forced to do intelligent things

manu1959
03-12-2007, 10:46 PM
That raises an interesting point. What do you think of chemical castration for repeat rapists and child molesters?

no need they should not be released from prison

Insein
03-12-2007, 11:00 PM

1. Where's the proof that this will 100% prevent cancer?

2. Where's the evidence that there are zero side effects for these vaccinations?

Until they provide this to me, no one will get near my sister or (eventually maybe) daughters with a random vaccination thats "good for you" from the government.

With that said, anyone that wants to get it on their own is more than welcome to do so with their parents permission (unless of course they are legal adults).

lily
03-12-2007, 11:01 PM
my wife and i were meeting with her ob today .....

he is so excited about this new vaccine.... cervical cancer is caused by a virus and this vaccine will stop it..... it will do for cervical cancer what the polio vaccine did to polio.....my daughter will be vacinated....same as she was for polio, diptheria, tb, etc....

that said...no one should be forced to do intelligent things

I say good for you. It is your choice, it's not being forced on you by law. There is enough controversy surrounding the MMR shots. Those are air borne and should be given to children. I think it is the parents decision if they want their child to get this new vaccine, not the governments.

manu1959
03-12-2007, 11:04 PM
I say good for you. It is your choice, it's not being forced on you by law. There is enough controversy surrounding the MMR shots. Those are air borne and should be given to children. I think it is the parents decision if they want their child to get this new vaccine, not the governments.

there are a few required in order to go to public shool...not sure if this should be one of them....

manu1959
03-12-2007, 11:07 PM

2. Where's the evidence that there are zero side effects for these vaccinations?

Until they provide this to me, no one will get near my sister or (eventually maybe) daughters with a random vaccination thats "good for you" from the government.

With that said, anyone that wants to get it on their own is more than welcome to do so with their parents permission (unless of course they are legal adults).

it will 100% prevent HPV caused cervical cancer...you really should go talk to an OB...i did....did it this morning .... if you cant trust the person that brought your kids into this world who can you trust......do you vacinate your kids for the flu? tb? poli? diptheria? there are side effects and deaths from those every year...

gabosaurus
03-12-2007, 11:21 PM
no one should be forced to do intelligent things

This should be the mantra of the Bush administration. They are mostly opposed to intelligent thought.

manu1959
03-12-2007, 11:24 PM
no one should be forced to do intelligent things

This should be the mantra of the Bush administration. They are mostly opposed to intelligent thought.

and with no previous experience you would be able to recognize an intelligent how?

CockySOB
03-13-2007, 12:22 AM

This is no more a medical procedure than any of the other required vaccinations which we receive during our school years. How many times did we get vaccinated as children? A decent number. And there is even a set of vaccinations/boosters given to college-age children as well.

CockySOB
03-13-2007, 12:25 AM
As cocky SOB said, the time to vaccinate is before girls begin considering sex. If this was an STD effecting males, it would already be law.
Just another example of the fundies wishing death on people who violate their moral standards.

To clarify, the bolded text properly represents my view. As to the rest of it, you're full of shit.

CockySOB
03-13-2007, 12:31 AM

Google up Gardasil for more information. And yes, that'd be 100% success in protecting those who have not yet contracted genital HPV, and a marked improvement even amongst those who already have genital HPV.

musicman
03-13-2007, 06:44 AM
This may very well be a good thing; however, it should be a 100% private decision. There is no public health risk here that would justify required vaccination.

Agreed, 100%.

Got grief, it wasn’t 6-8 months ago that NYC made trans fat illegal for “YOUR” own good, some of us asked then what’s next back then. Well looky here! Also follow the $$$$$ on this one.

Bingo; follow the $$$$$, indeed:

Texas Gov. Rick Perry sidestepped his state's Legislature when he ordered the shots for girls entering the sixth grade there starting in September 2008. He has since had to defend his relationship with Merck; The Associated Press reported Perry's chief of staff met with key aides about the vaccine on the same day Merck's political action committee donated money to the governor's campaign.

There's a funk wafting upward from this particular edition of, "I'm from the government, and I'm here to help you". But, then, there usually is.

glockmail
03-13-2007, 07:47 AM
That raises an interesting point. What do you think of chemical castration for repeat rapists and child molesters? Excellent idea!

Insein
03-13-2007, 01:58 PM
it will 100% prevent HPV caused cervical cancer...you really should go talk to an OB...i did....did it this morning .... if you cant trust the person that brought your kids into this world who can you trust......do you vacinate your kids for the flu? tb? poli? diptheria? there are side effects and deaths from those every year...

I feel you manu. I'm simply saying that making it government mandated is ridiculous. There is no threat of imminent outbreak that would require it. By all means, every vaccination that could prevent a deadly disease I'm all for going to my private doctor and getting for myself or kids. I just don't want a government mandate to have kids injected with vaccines that arent related to contagious viruses (by that i mean just being in the vicinity of other people or through brief contact) that can be spread through the school population. I understand mumps, rubella, measles, meninghitis, etc. Those can be spread through the school population rapidly. The only reasonable argument i've read in here to do it is that medicare costs later for the cancer patients is higher then the cost of a shot now. The point is, i don't want the government involved unless its an imminent threat to the population.

Insein
03-13-2007, 02:00 PM
Google up Gardasil for more information. And yes, that'd be 100% success in protecting those who have not yet contracted genital HPV, and a marked improvement even amongst those who already have genital HPV.

gotcha.

lily
03-13-2007, 10:21 PM

Cocky........this article is what I don't like about this drug. When you're getting a kickback, it casts it in the wrong light.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16948093/

CockySOB
03-13-2007, 10:30 PM
Cocky........this article is what I don't like about this drug. When you're getting a kickback, it casts it in the wrong light.

Sorry, I just don't see the problem here. The fact is that a VERY successful vaccine is available and should be made part of a regular vaccination protocol.

What part of the article do you have a problem with?

lily
03-13-2007, 10:51 PM
Perry tied to Merck
Perry has ties to Merck and Women in Government. One of the drug company’s three lobbyists in Texas is Mike Toomey, Perry’s former chief of staff. His current chief of staff’s mother-in-law, Texas Republican state Rep. Dianne White Delisi, is a state director for Women in Government.

The governor also received $6,000 from Merck’s political action committee during his re-election campaign.

If I'm not mistaken, Texas is where this all started. If the governor of Texas is taking kickbacks, it throws suspision on the entire program, IMO.

Gunny
03-14-2007, 08:18 PM
Sorry, I just don't see the problem here. The fact is that a VERY successful vaccine is available and should be made part of a regular vaccination protocol.

What part of the article do you have a problem with?

I'll tell you what the article DOESN'T say. Some of you have already seen this, but for the benefit of those who have not:

My wife was diagnosed with HPV about 5-6 years ago. Since that time, approximately every 18 months, she has had to undergo laser surgery where they burn off the virus cells. "Where" these HPV cells are is exactly where you would want them least. She usually cannot get out of bed for about 10 days-2 weeks. She can usually function normally after 4-6 weeks, and gets most of her feelings in the area back within 6 months.

There is no cure, only this treatment, or you can take your chances the cells won't turn cancerous.

I will also point out that my wife was never promiscuous, so it just doesn't happen to the "sluts." Increased promiscuity only increases the chances of contracting it, just as it does with any other STD.

So anyone worried about that Dem in Republican's clothing Perry, or wanting to play politics with this topic, I suggest you consider the actual topic and the possible consequences of not taking a simple vaccine, just like the other vaccines we all had to take in order to enter public school.

manu1959
03-14-2007, 08:55 PM
I'll tell you what the article DOESN'T say. Some of you have already seen this, but for the benefit of those who have not:

My wife was diagnosed with HPV about 5-6 years ago. Since that time, approximately every 18 months, she has had to undergo laser surgery where they burn off the virus cells. "Where" these HPV cells are is exactly where you would want them least. She usually cannot get out of bed for about 10 days-2 weeks. She can usually function normally after 4-6 weeks, and gets most of her feelings in the area back within 6 months.

There is no cure, only this treatment, or you can take your chances the cells won't turn cancerous.

I will also point out that my wife was never promiscuous, so it just doesn't happen to the "sluts." Increased promiscuity only increases the chances of contracting it, just as it does with any other STD.

So anyone worried about that Dem in Republican's clothing Perry, or wanting to play politics with this topic, I suggest you consider the actual topic and the possible consequences of not taking a simple vaccine, just like the other vaccines we all had to take in order to enter public school.

rep you if i could......

manu1959
03-14-2007, 08:57 PM

how does taking a kickback suddenly make the drug inefective?

CockySOB
03-14-2007, 09:02 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Texas is where this all started. If the governor of Texas is taking kickbacks, it throws suspision on the entire program, IMO.

I'd really like to understand how you came to that conclusion. As it stands, you seem to be basing your opinion on a suspicion related to a Republican, and not on any of the scientific evidence.

Dilloduck
03-14-2007, 09:04 PM
how does taking a kickback suddenly make the drug inefective?

Are you worried about the girls out there who have evil parents that won't allow them to get the vaccine ?

Gunny
03-14-2007, 09:07 PM
rep you if i could......

I appreciate it. I'm just trying to make a point from the "other side." In his iron-handed, totalitarian handling of this issue, Perry didn't bother to actually attempt to educate anyone on the topic. He just arbitrarily decided what he thought was best.

I don't like him. I don't like his politics. I don't like either side attempting to politicize a REAL health concern that as far as I know, hasn't chosen one political ideology over another to victimize.

There is a vaccine available to prevent an STD that cause REAL pain and suffering. It can be prevented, but cannot be cured once contracted. A real no-brainer, IMO.

manu1959
03-14-2007, 09:10 PM
I appreciate it. I'm just trying to make a point from the "other side." In his iron-handed, totalitarian handling of this issue, Perry didn't bother to actually attempt to educate anyone on the topic. He just arbitrarily decided what he thought was best.

I don't like him. I don't like his politics. I don't like either side attempting to politicize a REAL health concern that as far as I know, hasn't chosen one political ideology over another to victimize.

There is a vaccine available to prevent an STD that cause REAL pain and suffering. It can be prevented, but cannot be cured once contracted. A real no-brainer, IMO.

lets just say i can empathize with you and your wife.....

what if they came up with a vaccine for all cancer or aids......

manu1959
03-14-2007, 09:11 PM
Are you worried about the girls out there who have evil parents that won't allow them to get the vaccine ?

no more than the ones that won't let their kids get shots for school....

Dilloduck
03-14-2007, 09:13 PM
no more than the ones that won't let their kids get shots for school....

No---are your worried about the girls ?

Gunny
03-14-2007, 09:26 PM

I would say anyone who wouldn't try to take advantage of it needs a psych eval.

Gunny
03-14-2007, 09:28 PM
No---are your worried about the girls ?

Dillo .....

Females suffer the affects, and the possible affect of long-term untreated HPV is cervical cancer.

Dilloduck
03-14-2007, 09:34 PM

I would encourage them to get the vaccine---sorry I'm splitting hairs but it's too much governmental influence form me. There are a whole lot of things the government could enforce that would make the world "safer". Slippery slope and anyone who WANTS to take the chance of side effects can get it and be responsible for the consequences.

Gunny
03-14-2007, 09:45 PM
I would encourage them to get the vaccine---sorry I'm splitting hairs but it's too much governmental influence form me. There are a whole lot of things the government could enforce that would make the world "safer". Slippery slope and anyone who WANTS to take the chance of side effects can get it and be responsible for the consequences.

All of our vaccines are government influenced. Polio, smallpox, rubella .... this is just another.

The only concern I have is product reliability and safety.

manu1959
03-14-2007, 09:51 PM

uh.....you have to have your shots to go to public school....

Dilloduck
03-14-2007, 09:57 PM
uh.....you have to have your shots to go to public school....

to avoid contagious diseases seems like a reasonable reason too. Are we back to assuming all school girls will have sex therefore the government should step in and prvn the pandemic?

manu1959
03-14-2007, 10:05 PM
to avoid contagious diseases seems like a reasonable reason too. Are we back to assuming all school girls will have sex therefore the government should step in and prvn the pandemic?

hey let them die then....my daughter will get the inoculation

Dilloduck
03-14-2007, 10:10 PM
hey let them die then....my daughter will get the inoculation

as would mine. I don't need the government to do it for me. Mammograms too ??

manu1959
03-14-2007, 10:11 PM
as would mine. I don't need the government to do it for me. Mammograms too ??

aids vaccine?

Dilloduck
03-14-2007, 10:16 PM
aids vaccine?

May as well go the whole route---implants for the little titty girls so they won't have low self esteem.

really if our pansy ass govenor would do something about our border he could make ALL the kids in Texas safer !!

manu1959
03-14-2007, 10:18 PM
May as well go the whole route---implants for the little titty girls so they won't have low self esteem.

really if our pansy ass govenor would do something about our border he could make ALL the kids in Texas safer !!

now you are being silly....if part of your shot routine to go to school, same as mumos meassles and chicken pox and tb, was to prevent a virus that causes cancer...where is the harm in that....

Dilloduck
03-14-2007, 10:30 PM
now you are being silly....if part of your shot routine to go to school, same as mumos meassles and chicken pox and tb, was to prevent a virus that causes cancer...where is the harm in that....

It's too new and my trust in the government mandating the medication of children is zero. Why should the government even take this chance at screwing up it's reputation any more than it already has ? Making people aware of its existence should suffice. Thalydamide was supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread too. I see no good coming in taking this responsibilty away from the parent.

manu1959
03-14-2007, 10:33 PM
It's too new and my trust in the government mandating the medication of children is zero. Why should the government even take this chance at screwing up it's reputation any more than it already has ? Making people aware of its existence should suffice. Thalydamide was supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread too. I see no good coming in taking this responsibilty away from the parent.

well i met with my wifes ob the other day....the man that saved the lives of both my kids and my wife twice....he says it is the shit and will do for cervical cancer what the polio vaccine did...

5stringJeff
03-14-2007, 10:35 PM

:beer:

Dilloduck
03-14-2007, 10:35 PM
well i met with my wifes ob the other day....the man that saved the lives of both my kids and my wife twice....he says it is the shit and will do for cervical cancer what the polio vaccine did...

If I were as convinced as you were then I would encourage all the females that I care about to get it------voluntarily.

Gunny
03-14-2007, 10:36 PM

Are we to assume they aren't having sex? Truthfully, we can only hope so.

While you're a government paranoia freak, I'm a germ freak. I don't believe it can only be contracted through sex. If it can be contracted orally, sharing lunch could do it.

I wouldn't take the chance. But my opinion is swayed by having to hold my wife's hand through 4 laser surgeries, and babysit her afterward until she can get out of bed.

It can make worry about the government a mighty small concern.