PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer Online

Hobbit
08-18-2008, 02:00 PM
Well, I just fired up my old Dark Age of Camelot account (same guys are making Warhammer) and I pre-ordered my copy to get in on the open beta. I'm excited about this game.

For those of you who don't know, Warhammer Online is an MMO based on the Warhammer world created by Games Workshop for their miniatures game. In the video game, there are 6 races/factions (Empire, Chaos, Dwarves, Orcs and Goblins, High Elves, and Dark Elves) fighting for two sides, order and destruction. What separates this game from others is the massive scale of the war between the factions (called Realm vs. Realm), as was pioneered in Dark Age of Camelot. The entire world is a war zone, with siege weapons and fortresses all over the place. Unlike World of Warcraft, these open field RvR matches are accessible from level 1 and have a profound impact on the game. As the game progresses and different zones fall, the different sides can capture the main cities of the opposing races. If they hold two of the three, they can attack the capital city of the enemy and burn it to the ground (after which the server will eventually reset the RvR battle to start again).

The other big changes are public quests, which are similar to raid quests in other games, except the group isn't pre-formed, everybody in the zone is in on it, and your reward is proportional to your contribution. Also, guilds can be leveled up by their members and gain benefits for these levels and cities are living, breathing entities which level and grow depending on what goes on there.

Anybody else looking to get in on the sweet, sweet action?

DragonStryk72
08-18-2008, 06:11 PM
I want to try it. I'm an avid gamer, but to be honest, I'm sick of World of WarCrack. I actually play Warhammer Fantasy Role-Playing, which has surprisingly well thought out, and has been a pretty well constant way to have fun for me.

It actually sounds really cool, with several unique points. I especially like the idea of being responsible for how things pan out on a worldwide basis.

manu1959
08-18-2008, 06:44 PM
my son is into painting the figures.....he is a space marine guy.....he can't wait for the xbox 360 version to come out .....

Noir
08-18-2008, 07:03 PM
World of warcraft put me off MMORPG's, far to much of my life was sucked away, but I must say warhammer online does look tempting, but I simply can't, not again.

I was into the model for years but have taken a break for the last 3 or so due to a lack of funds, but now that I'm not gonna be payin out £100 a month for flight tickets I'm getting back into it and bought the new codex tau a few days ago.

Hobbit
08-18-2008, 10:32 PM
World of warcraft put me off MMORPG's, far to much of my life was sucked away, but I must say warhammer online does look tempting, but I simply can't, not again.

I was into the model for years but have taken a break for the last 3 or so due to a lack of funds, but now that I'm not gonna be payin out £100 a month for flight tickets I'm getting back into it and bought the new codex tau a few days ago.

I don't want to encourage you to feed a habit, but just FYI, you don't have to play 8 hours a day to enjoy the endgame in Warhammer Online. Like I said, I played Dark Age of Camelot, and the RvR system there (which this RvR system is based on) was great for casual gamers and hardcore gamers alike. It was good for hardcore gamers because it never ended. You could find an RvR fight pretty much 24 hours a day on any server, and the RvR groups never really disbanded, they just moved. However, it's also good for the casual gamer because people come and go all the time, depending on their playing habits. If you leave, the 'raid' doesn't have to stand around waiting for another player. You just say 'bye' and go. End of story. You can also jump in at any time. Because of that, you can easily enjoy the endgame in half hour spurts and not have to worry about missing too much content.

Hobbit
08-19-2008, 12:04 AM
One more addendum, as I watch the interviews with the developers that are serving as previews, I don't get the sense that they're trying to sell me something (not much, anyway). I instead get the sense that they're hyped up about the whole thing and they just want to talk about it.

Hobbit
08-20-2008, 12:16 AM
I signed up for the open beta fast enough to get into the preview this weekend.

Too bad I'll be in transit back to school Friday and part of Saturday.

dan
08-20-2008, 08:23 AM
http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/misc/pictures/nerds.jpg

NEEEEEEEEERRRDDDSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!