PDA

View Full Version : Iranian refuses to race Israeli swimmer in Beijing

Little-Acorn
08-18-2008, 06:00 PM
I feel a little sorry for the athletes involved. Even the Iranian athlete might not have done this by choice: the article says it was "apparently under the orders of the chiefs of the Iranian delegation".

But my overall reaction isn't as sympathetic: Iranians, don't let the door hit you as you leave. If this is the way you want to treat the Olympics, then we're better off without you.

-----------------------------------

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=JPArticle/ShowFull&cid=1218104248620

Iranian refuses to race Israeli swimmer in Beijing

By ALLON SINAI, JPOST CORRESPONDENT IN BEIJING
Updated Aug 11, 2008 9:55

Politics reared its ugly head at the Olympic Games once more on Saturday after an Iranian swimmer refused to compete alongside Israeli Tom Be'eri.

Mohammad Alirezaei was due to race against Be'eri in the fourth heat of the 100 meter breaststroke, but pulled out, apparently under the orders of the chiefs of the Iranian delegation.

"This isn't the first time this has happened and it doesn't surprise me anymore," Olympic Committee of Israel General Secretary Efraim Zinger told The Jerusalem Post. "Politics takes precedence over sport with the Iranians and the Olympic spirit is as far from them as east is far from west.

"My heart goes out to the Iranian athletes. In the Athens Olympics one of their sportsmen, who was a gold medal favorite, had to pull out because he was drawn against an Israeli.

"There's no place for this kind of behavior in the Olympic movement and it's a shame it continues."

Yurt
08-18-2008, 06:22 PM
scared of losing to the jooooos