PDA

View Full Version : DNC Convention Credentials Feature Upside-Down Flag

red states rule
08-18-2008, 10:40 PM
Can you believe this one folks? The Dems are showing how much the respect the symbol of America

http://www.9news.com/genthumb/genthumb.ashx?e=3&h=204&w=320&i=/assetpool/images/080816042914_OBAMA-CREDENTIALS-3.jpg

Viewers question credential design

KUSA - Some viewers contacted 9NEWS Saturday, questioning the design of the credentials to see Sen. Barack Obama accept the Democratic Party's presidential nomination at INVESCO Field at Mile High.

The viewers say with the stars and blue field in the lower left corner, it looks like an upside down American flag. Published flag etiquette states the stars should always be displayed in the upper left corner. An upside down flag represents an international symbol of extreme distress.

Matt Chandler with the Obama campaign says the flag is not upside down. He says it is a stylized flag designed to blend the stars on Senator Obama's shirt with the flag blowing in the wind.

Natalie Wyeth with the Democratic National Convention Committee sent 9NEWS the following statement Saturday night: "The DNCC community credentials incorporate patriotic design elements. They do not depict an actual American flag. The DNCC has full and complete respect for the flag and all rules of display."

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=97788&catid=188

PostmodernProphet
08-19-2008, 05:31 AM
designed to blend the stars on Senator Obama's shirt with the flag

lol....what a spin...."oh, those aren't the stars from the FLAG, why on earth would you think those are the stars from the flag?....those are the stars on Obama's shirt!....only the stripes are from the flag".......

bullypulpit
08-19-2008, 06:40 AM
Wow...If this is the best the RWN base of the GOP can do, Grampy McCain is toast. Of course, an upside-down national flag is an internationally recognized maritime distress signal. Given the last seven years, I think it's fair to say that America's ship of state is foundering on the shoals of Bush administration policies.

Kathianne
08-19-2008, 06:43 AM
Wow...If this is the best the RWN base of the GOP can do, Grampy McCain is toast. Of course, an upside-down national flag is an internationally recognized maritime distress signal. Given the last seven years, I think it's fair to say that America's ship of state is foundering on the shoals of Bush administration policies.

Surely that is a better response than Obama's buttons! Speaking of 'best they can do...'

Joe Steel
08-19-2008, 07:07 AM

Exactly.

The image is a plea for help.

Kathianne
08-19-2008, 07:10 AM
Exactly.

The image is a plea for help.

Though that's not what they said:

Matt Chandler with the Obama campaign says the flag is not upside down. He says it is a stylized flag designed to blend the stars on Senator Obama's shirt with the flag blowing in the wind.

darin
08-19-2008, 07:13 AM
Two things - I think folks are making an issue where none exists. The flag is folded and flying as the backdrop. No big deal.

Secondly, folks are stupid for using the 'destress' to point out political differences. (shrug).

The only distress - that which still haunts our nation is the inacation by PREVIOUS administrations to counter Islamic Terrorists.

Kathianne
08-19-2008, 07:27 AM
Two things - I think folks are making an issue where none exists. The flag is folded and flying as the backdrop. No big deal.

Secondly, folks are stupid for using the 'destress' to point out political differences. (shrug).

The only distress - that which still haunts our nation is the inacation by PREVIOUS administrations to counter Islamic Terrorists.

I don't think our country is in 'distress' either, rather I was making a political response point. The Obama camp is looking in serious trouble. :coffee:

red states rule
08-19-2008, 07:28 AM

Dems should have caught the upside down flag and corrected it. But we are talking about the same people who show their love of country by burning the flag

darin
08-19-2008, 07:36 AM
What makes you think it's upside down? Doesn't look that way to me. It's just a close crop. Stylistically, it looks better as is, rather than having the darker portion of the card in the upper right. It's not a flag. It's a credentials badge. If folks were REALLY concerned about Flag etiquette, they'd bitch about the flag being used AT ALL, as

"... It should not be ... printed or otherwise impressed on ... anything that is designed for temporary use and discard."

http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagetiq.html

red states rule
08-19-2008, 07:39 AM
What makes you think it's upside down? Doesn't look that way to me. It's just a close crop. Stylistically, it looks better as is, rather than having the darker portion of the card in the upper right. It's not a flag. It's a credentials badge.

Well DMP, we can agree to disagree. I look at the pic in my firt post and to me, it is upside down

To me, it reminds me of the 1960's doped up hippie rejects that were in the streets. Now those losers are adults and running the Dem party

darin
08-19-2008, 07:47 AM
Are you equally as upset about them using the flag in the first place? To me, that's the greater 'sin' - than what position the flag may or may not be in.

red states rule
08-19-2008, 07:52 AM
Are you equally as upset about them using the flag in the first place? To me, that's the greater 'sin' - than what position the flag may or may not be in.

They can use the flag - just use it respectfully

Why does it bother you they are using the flag at all?

darin
08-19-2008, 08:03 AM
When ppl say 'having it upside down is a violation of flag etiquette!' I try to remind them 'using the flag AT ALL is a violation of flag etiquette.' ;)

red states rule
08-19-2008, 08:05 AM
When ppl say 'having it upside down is a violation of flag etiquette!' I try to remind them 'using the flag AT ALL is a violation of flag etiquette.' ;)

Flying the flag upside down is a sign of lack of respect. Same as burning it

Using it in the background for any politican is not

The way the Dems are using it in this instance, is a total lack of respect,

darin
08-19-2008, 08:16 AM
So it's really not about following published flag etiquette, is it?

Flying the flag upside down is NOT a sign of lack of respect of the flag - it's an honest to goodness REAL tool to help folk in distress. Now, w/ the Credentials - the paper it'self is NOT a flag, thus, can't be 'flown'. It's also not upside down - it's a close crop of a flying folding flag. There are instances where the blue field appears lower than the stripes as large flags flap in the wind.

I really think folk are digging here - reaching. There are PLENTY of other reasons the democrats are largely educated idiots. Let's focus on the REAL problems with the Popular, liberal Democrats agenda.

:)

red states rule
08-19-2008, 08:18 AM
So it's really not about following published flag etiquette, is it?

Flying the flag upside down is NOT a sign of lack of respect of the flag - it's an honest to goodness REAL tool to help folk in distress. Now, w/ the Credentials - the paper it'self is NOT a flag, thus, can't be 'flown'. It's also not upside down - it's a close crop of a flying folding flag. There are instances where the blue field appears lower than the stripes as large flags flap in the wind.

I really think folk are digging here - reaching. There are PLENTY of other reasons the democrats are largely educated idiots. Let's focus on the REAL problems with the Popular, liberal Democrats agenda.

:)

IMHO is is a sign of disrespect. You are correct, there are many reasons to vote against Dems, and their judgement in this matter is another reason

darin
08-19-2008, 08:21 AM
You are correct...

Yes. Generally I am.

:lol::cheers2::cheers2:

red states rule
08-19-2008, 08:22 AM
Yes. Generally I am.

:lol::cheers2::cheers2:

and very humble :laugh2:

darin
08-19-2008, 08:33 AM
I AM Humble...and damn proud of it!

red states rule
08-19-2008, 08:35 AM

I know DMP

I have the same problem

Hell, when you are the best it is hard to be humble :laugh2:

PostmodernProphet
08-19-2008, 08:40 AM

I applaud you for giving an honest answer....sure beats the "Obama's shirt" defense they tried to skate with.....

retiredman
08-19-2008, 08:42 AM
I applaud you for giving an honest answer....sure beats the "Obama's shirt" defense they tried to skate with.....

tempest in a teapot.

you guys are really desperate.

red states rule
08-19-2008, 08:43 AM
tempest in a teapot.

So it is desperate to point out how the Dems are disrespecting the flag?

PostmodernProphet
08-19-2008, 08:44 AM
tempest in a teapot.

I don't feel very desperate....just amused that Obama's staff aren't as honest as bp is......

Kathianne
08-19-2008, 08:55 AM
I don't feel very desperate....just amused that Obama's staff aren't as honest as bp is......

Exactly was my point. :cheers2:

Abbey Marie
08-19-2008, 09:24 AM

I'm more humble than you. :laugh2:

Abbey Marie
08-19-2008, 09:28 AM
I think the Dems will wait until/if they are elected, to turn the flag upside down. Figuratively, of course. :)

red states rule
08-19-2008, 09:42 AM
I think the Dems will wait until/if they are elected, to turn the flag upside down. Figuratively, of course. :)

and they will turn us upside down, and shake as much money out of our pockets as possible

Noir
08-19-2008, 10:19 AM
maybe it's just the writting that's upside down :p

Seems pretty dumb to me, surly someone on the dem team pointed out what some would see it as.

bullypulpit
08-19-2008, 01:25 PM
IMHO is is a sign of disrespect. You are correct, there are many reasons to vote against Dems, and their judgement in this matter is another reason

Your opinions are always humble...and wrong.

manu1959
08-19-2008, 01:31 PM
looks like two violations of the flag code....

http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagcode.htm

REDWHITEBLUE2
08-19-2008, 07:46 PM
Flying the flag upside down is a sign of lack of respect. Same as burning it

Using it in the background for any politican is not

The way the Dems are using it in this instance, is a total lack of respect, When the hell was the last time A Democrat had Respect for Our Flag ? Harry S Truman Maybe

red states rule
08-20-2008, 05:27 AM
When the hell was the last time A Democrat had Respect for Our Flag ? Harry S Truman Maybe

JFK

The leadership and rank and file of the Dem party have willingly handed over the car keys to far kook left, who are now behind the wheel