PDA

View Full Version : Russians continue to strike Georgia despite ceasefire

08-18-2008, 11:55 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/mcclatchy/20080818/wl_mcclatchy/3021530

Despite assurances that it would withdraw troops from Georgia starting Monday, the Russian military operated with impunity as its forces moved convoys in and out of the city of Gori and plowed through a police roadblock in this town some 25 miles northwest of Tbilisi , the capital.

In Washington , senior defense officials cited "troubling" intelligence that Russia had set up short-range ballistic missile launchers in South Ossetia . The SS-21 missiles have a range of 40 to 70 miles, meaning they can reach the capital from practically any part of South Ossetia , which Russian forces now occupy.

The officials, who refused to be identified due to the sensitivity of the subject, also said there was no significant Russian movement out of Georgia .

Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said Monday the United States and its allies will not allow Russia to gain a strategic victory in Georgia . She also warned Russia that it is playing a "very dangerous game" by resuming Cold War-era strategic bomber patrols off the Alaskan coast. Rice was en route to an emergency meeting of NATO on the Georgia crisis.

I know I am grossly understating the situation when I say this, but this is not a good sign.

Gaffer
08-19-2008, 08:24 AM
Yeah call me a warmonger, but if the US and EU don't take some serious action soon there's going to be hell to pay. The thugs in russia intend to take over Georgia and intimidate everyone else.

They went broke in 89, now they have money again so its time to flex their muscles. Same bunch that was in charge before, except they don't use the communist moniker anymore.

Meet the new politiboro same as the old politiboro.

Kathianne
08-19-2008, 08:26 AM
Yeah call me a warmonger, but if the US and EU don't take some serious action soon there's going to be hell to pay. The thugs in russia intend to take over Georgia and intimidate everyone else.

They went broke in 89, now they have money again so its time to flex their muscles. Same bunch that was in charge before, except they don't use the communist moniker anymore.

Meet the new politiboro same as the old politiboro.

:laugh2: I certainly don't think you a warmonger. On the other hand I disagree about US being out front in what should be a European addressed problem, much on the level of Kosovo.

Gaffer
08-19-2008, 08:44 AM
:laugh2: I certainly don't think you a warmonger. On the other hand I disagree about US being out front in what should be a European addressed problem, much on the level of Kosovo.

Yeah I agree the US shouldn't have to take the front on this. It's more an EU problem, but eventually, given enough inaction from the Eu, it will become a US problem.

I'm a big believer in preemptive action. Stop things before they can get out of hand.