PDA

View Full Version : For Obama, Taxes Are About Fairness

red states rule
08-19-2008, 07:35 AM
With Dems, no matter how much in taxes people and companies pay - it is not enough

So what if the top 1% pay 40% of all Federal Income taxes?

So what if the top 25% pay 87% of all Federal Income taxes?

To Obama and his supporters it makes no difference these people are paying MORE in taxes after the Bush tax cuts. No, it is all about "fairness"

For Obama, Taxes Are About Fairness
August 19, 2008

On Saturday night at the Saddleback Church in Southern California, Rick Warren showed Jim, Gwen, Tom, Bob and Co. what a presidential moderator can accomplish when he makes the debate about the candidates and not himself.

Over the course of a two-hour, televised forum, the best-selling evangelical author and pastor took a novel approach to our presidential debates. He asked Barack Obama and John McCain the same simple questions -- and then gave them time to answer.

For example, here is how Mr. Warren asked the candidates to talk about their flip-flops: "Give me a good example of something, 10 years ago, you said that's the way I feel about [it] and now, 10 years later, I changed my position."

Likewise on abortion: "I know this is a very complex issue. Forty million abortions, at what point does a baby get human rights, in your view?" And again on the Supreme Court: "Which existing Supreme Court Justice would you not have nominated?"

These are not your standard-issue Beltway questions, and their directness made them hard to evade. Nowhere was this more evident than in Mr. Warren's attempt to get the candidates -- both of whom are trying to persuade the American people they are tax cutters -- to draw some fundamental distinctions between their approaches. In simple but arresting language, he cut to the chase.

Here's how he put it: "OK. Taxes. Define rich. I mean give me a number. Is it $50,000, $100,000, $200,000? Everybody keeps talking about who we're going to tax. How can you define that?"

Plainly this is a man who understands that it is easier to get a camel through the eye of a needle than to get a direct answer from a politician running for election. And indeed, while Mr. McCain was at first shy about giving a specific number, in the end he did allow that someone who had an income of, say, $5 million could pretty definitely be said to be rich.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121910117767951201.html?mod=todays_columnists

theHawk
08-19-2008, 08:11 AM
Its a disturbing use of the word that he chooses. It isn't "fair" for someone to make a certain amount of money? Its quite clear Obama doesn't believe in the American dream, he wants everyone to make the same amount of money. And the only way to do that is tax the shit out of the upper and middle class straight into poverty.

red states rule
08-19-2008, 08:13 AM
Its a disturbing use of the word that he chooses. It isn't "fair" for someone to make a certain amount of money? Its quite clear Obama doesn't believe in the American dream, he wants everyone to make the same amount of money. And the only way to do that is tax the shit out of the upper and middle class straight into poverty.

Do you remember the Philly debate?

When Obama was asked about raising the capital gains tax, Obama said the government "needed" more revenue

When he was hit with the fact everytime the tax was raised, revenues DECREASED; he fell back on the fairness BS

Obama is a classic liberal who believes in wealth transfers despite the fact after $9 trillion of wealth transfers; libe say we need more to fix everything