PDA

View Full Version : Cockfighting ban approved in New Mexico

LiberalNation
03-12-2007, 04:59 PM
I don't know. I don't really see why it should be banned. Their only chickens, property, and we kill them everyday.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070312/ap_on_re_us/cockfighting_ban;_ylt=AkRKfLlP9MDc4owx3NlC9V9vzwcF

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. - Gov. Bill Richardson signed a measure Monday that outlaws cockfighting in New Mexico, leaving Louisiana as the only state where the centuries-old bloodsport remains legal.

State Sen. Mary Jane Garcia, who has introduced legislation to ban cockfighting over the past 18 years, thanked Richardson, who until this legislative session had declined to take a stance on the issue. The prohibition takes effect June 15.

"Today, New Mexico joins 48 other states in affirming that the deliberate killing of animals for entertainment and profit is no longer acceptable," said Garcia, D-Dona Ana.

Richardson signed the bill at a ceremony at the state Capitol in Santa Fe.

Cockfighting fans have accused Richardson of taking a sudden interest in cockfighting now that he is seeking the Democratic nomination for president. They also defend cockfighting as a family activity and said opponents were meddling.

"I'm so upset that it's damn near ruining my life," said Ronald Barron, president of the New Mexico Game Fowl Association. "I've got 38 years doing this. I don't know if I should hatch off some baby chicks right now. This isn't a business. It's my pleasure. It's my right, or rather it was my right."

Barron said the association planned a legal challenge.

During a cockfight, two roosters fitted with blades or gaffs on their legs are placed into a pit and fight until one is dead or badly wounded. Although gambling on the fights is illegal, spectators openly wager on the outcome.

Wayne Pacelle, president of The Humane Society, called the law's passage "a major moment in the effort to rid our nation of this barbaric and reprehensible practice."

"New Mexico removed an ugly blemish today, and it is a proud moment for the state," Pacelle said.

Nukeman
03-12-2007, 05:06 PM
I don't know. I don't really see why it should be banned. Their only chickens, property, and we kill them everyday.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070312/ap_on_re_us/cockfighting_ban;_ylt=AkRKfLlP9MDc4owx3NlC9V9vzwcF

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. - Gov. Bill Richardson signed a measure Monday that outlaws cockfighting in New Mexico, leaving Louisiana as the only state where the centuries-old bloodsport remains legal.

State Sen. Mary Jane Garcia, who has introduced legislation to ban cockfighting over the past 18 years, thanked Richardson, who until this legislative session had declined to take a stance on the issue. The prohibition takes effect June 15.

"Today, New Mexico joins 48 other states in affirming that the deliberate killing of animals for entertainment and profit is no longer acceptable," said Garcia, D-Dona Ana.

Richardson signed the bill at a ceremony at the state Capitol in Santa Fe.

Cockfighting fans have accused Richardson of taking a sudden interest in cockfighting now that he is seeking the Democratic nomination for president. They also defend cockfighting as a family activity and said opponents were meddling.

"I'm so upset that it's damn near ruining my life," said Ronald Barron, president of the New Mexico Game Fowl Association. "I've got 38 years doing this. I don't know if I should hatch off some baby chicks right now. This isn't a business. It's my pleasure. It's my right, or rather it was my right."

Barron said the association planned a legal challenge.

During a cockfight, two roosters fitted with blades or gaffs on their legs are placed into a pit and fight until one is dead or badly wounded. Although gambling on the fights is illegal, spectators openly wager on the outcome.

Wayne Pacelle, president of The Humane Society, called the law's passage "a major moment in the effort to rid our nation of this barbaric and reprehensible practice."

"New Mexico removed an ugly blemish today, and it is a proud moment for the state," Pacelle said.

Have you ever been to a cock fight?? They are bloody and violent. Especialy if the owners add the metal spurs to the Cocks. Not a very humane way to end up.

Would you be okay with dog fights?? (sarcasm on) After all they are just dogs, you know they are eaten in other countries so what the difference. (sarcasm off)

:poke:

LiberalNation
03-12-2007, 05:08 PM
Yes I am okay with dog fights. Wouldn't go see one myself but wouldn't tell others that can't have hold them.

No I have never seen a cock fight. Prolly cuss their illegal.

Hugh Lincoln
03-12-2007, 05:50 PM
The laws are already in place to prevent this kind of Third-World befoulment of our country.

They're called the immigration laws.

But we won't enforce them. So we have ban things like cockfighting, machetes, etc. It's a losing battle. Deport the illegals NOW.

MtnBiker
03-12-2007, 07:14 PM

Yup, millions of them a day. They are not concerned with these birds dying only in the manner in which they die.

Said1
03-12-2007, 08:10 PM
Yup, millions of them a day. They are not concerned with these birds dying only in the manner in which they die.

I'm shocked. I thought she'd be a vegan and at least CARE about the slaughter of innocent animals. What a poseuuuuuuuur.

LiberalNation
03-12-2007, 08:12 PM
What a poseuuuuuuuur.Yeah right I told ya not all my views were liberal from the begining. Assumers

Said1
03-12-2007, 08:16 PM
Yeah right I told ya not all my views were liberal from the begining. Assumers

Fakerrrrr.

Plus, I skip over most of your posts. They bore me to tears. Teenage rebellion is soooo blase. So there. :finger3:

LiberalNation
03-12-2007, 08:17 PM
Lol, you don't know me. :finger3:

and you're a troll worthy of a banning I see. Taken this thread off topic and all.

Said1
03-12-2007, 08:19 PM
Lol, you don't know me.

Like, yes I do. :laugh2:

LiberalNation
03-12-2007, 08:20 PM
like you sooo don't. What you think you're the new Ms. Cleo or somethin.

Said1
03-12-2007, 08:26 PM
like you sooo don't. What you think you're the new Ms. Cleo or somethin.

No. I am Ms. Cleo. I don't think, I 'know', if you know what I mean.

Now go forth and rebel while you're still young - I'm seeing more threads with you going against the grain and quoting Judy Blume 'Are you there God, It's me LiberalNation?".

gabosaurus
03-12-2007, 08:51 PM
What about Washington DC? Seems as though there have been some GOP lawmakers who have done some cock fighting with Congressional pages.

Dilloduck
03-12-2007, 08:54 PM
What about Washington DC? Seems as though there have been some GOP lawmakers who have done some cock fighting with Congressional pages.

Amen---Im still stop cock fighting when they pry it from my cold dead hand !!

Said1
03-12-2007, 08:55 PM
Ommmm - I-see-this-thread-evolving-into-cheesy-sexual-innuendo-ommmmm.

That'll be $49.99.

thank you. Call again.

gabosaurus
03-12-2007, 08:58 PM
Amen---Im still stop cock fighting when they pry it from my cold dead hand !!

*laughs hysterically* :dance: