PDA

View Full Version : Halliburton P{lans Move To Dubai In Order To Avoid American Taxation

Psychoblues
03-12-2007, 05:07 PM
And Henry Waxman intends to get to the truth about it.

"Time's Karen Tumulty comments on Halliburton's plan to move its headquarters from Houston to Dubai: "Is this about tax breaks? Getting beyond the reach of congressional subpoenas? And what about all that sensitive information that Halliburton has had access to? At a minimum, reincorporating in Dubai would mean that Halliburton will be paying less taxes to the U.S. Treasury, even as it collects billions from government contracts." She also reports, "Henry Waxman is already planning to hold a hearing on this, an aide tells me."

More: http://thinkprogress.org/2007/03/11/waxman-plans-hearings-on-halliburton-move/

Shameful, just shameful. They make billions on no-bid-contract deals that they obtain from the American peoples and they don't want to pay taxes on even that!!!!!!!!

5stringJeff
03-12-2007, 05:11 PM
It's called a smart business decision, made to increase profits, which is the whole point of having a business.

Psychoblues
03-12-2007, 05:38 PM
You can call it what you want, banjopicker, but I call it FRAUD in the worst kind of way, traitorism in the most classic sense and abuse of the trust and good faith of the American Peoples from it's very consideration.

It's called a smart business decision, made to increase profits, which is the whole point of having a business.

But, maybe like you said. Maybe it's just business. That, my friend, is sad, very sad.

LiberalNation
03-12-2007, 05:47 PM
I agree wit Jeff on this one. It does make business sense and they are a business.

5stringJeff
03-12-2007, 06:06 PM
You can call it what you want, banjopicker, but I call it FRAUD in the worst kind of way, traitorism in the most classic sense and abuse of the trust and good faith of the American Peoples from it's very consideration.

But, maybe like you said. Maybe it's just business. That, my friend, is sad, very sad.

How is it fraud? What are they misrepresenting?

Mr. P
03-12-2007, 06:29 PM

Tax reform would take care of this stuff, IMO. It is a business move and many others have done the same already, and many more will follow. You don’t think all outsourcing is just about cheap labor do you?

Hobbit
03-12-2007, 10:41 PM
Halliburton is a global corporation. As it stands, every dime they make is taxed by the U.S. and by the country they make the money in. If they relocate overseas, they only have to pay taxes to any given country for money earned in that country. For example, a company based in America that does business in Germany must pay the German value added tax on business done in Germany in addition to American income tax. A German based company that does business in America still pays income tax and value added tax on any business done in America, but Germany refunds the value added tax on all business done in America. A few years of the lower tax rate are usually more than enough to offset the cost of relocating.

In addition to that, Halliburton is in the business of creating oil infastructure. The U.S. won't allow new drilling, meaning there's not much for Halliburton to do in the U.S.

On the other hand, if the FairTax passes, Halliburton, along with Daimler-Chrysler and others, will come running back to the U.S. to avoid taxes.

Psychoblues
03-13-2007, 12:24 AM
Holy Shit!!!! You have swallowed it hook, line and sinker, hibbit!!!!!

Halliburton is a global corporation. As it stands, every dime they make is taxed by the U.S. and by the country they make the money in. If they relocate overseas, they only have to pay taxes to any given country for money earned in that country. For example, a company based in America that does business in Germany must pay the German value added tax on business done in Germany in addition to American income tax. A German based company that does business in America still pays income tax and value added tax on any business done in America, but Germany refunds the value added tax on all business done in America. A few years of the lower tax rate are usually more than enough to offset the cost of relocating.

In addition to that, Halliburton is in the business of creating oil infastructure. The U.S. won't allow new drilling, meaning there's not much for Halliburton to do in the U.S.

On the other hand, if the FairTax passes, Halliburton, along with Daimler-Chrysler and others, will come running back to the U.S. to avoid taxes.

So, you think Halliburton is into creating "oil infrastructure"? You don't know shit about Halliburton.

03-13-2007, 12:58 AM
You know there is an easy way to keep Haliburton here if you really care. You can stop restricting companies from searching for and refining oil here in the United States. You know, what conservatives have been saying for decades.

03-13-2007, 12:59 AM
Holy Shit!!!! You have swallowed it hook, line and sinker, hibbit!!!!!

So, you think Halliburton is into creating "oil infrastructure"? You don't know shit about Halliburton.

That is exactly their business. why would they engage in said business if it wasnt their business? What exactly do you think is the true business of Haliburton then?

Psychoblues
03-13-2007, 01:24 AM
What do you mean with this statement? "That is exactly there business".

. That is exactly there business why would they engage in said business if it wasnt their business? What exactly do you think is the true business of Haliburton then?

Halliburton, and I know them very well for at least 25 years, doesn't give a damn about you or me. I can, with authority, tell you that. They make money on government contracts, preferably Republican directed but they will take the money from whatever direction they can get it. The "quality" is in the contracting methodology and ignores the results expected by the ultimate paying population, the American population, and their growth depends entirely on their political connections and not the quality of their actual work.

I knew in 1982 when I saw that Coca Cola Red/Battleship Gray equipment being brought into town that somehow we, that's you and me, were getting fucked somehow. I was not wrong then and I am not wrong now.

CockySOB
03-13-2007, 01:26 AM

Please enlighten us then. As I understand it, Halliburton itself is an oil & gas company specializing in the exploration, recovery (mining), refining, infrastructure and decommissioning - i.e. the entire production cycle. It's subsidiary, KBR, handles engineering projects for a wide variety of customers, including the USA government.

But please, I'm sure you can enlighten us all as to what Halliburton does despite the overwhelming evidence to support the notion that they handle "oil infrastructure."

Or are you full of hot air, blather and balderdash?

CockySOB
03-13-2007, 01:28 AM
Halliburton, and I know them very well for at least 25 years, doesn't give a damn about you or me. I can, with authority, tell you that. They make money on government contracts, preferably Republican directed but they will take the money from whatever direction they can get it. The "quality" is in the contracting methodology and ignores the results expected by the ultimate paying population, the American population, and their growth depends entirely on their political connections and not the quality of their actual work.

I knew in 1982 when I saw that Coca Cola Red/Battleship Gray equipment being brought into town that somehow we, that's you and me, were getting fucked somehow. I was not wrong then and I am not wrong now.

For all your supposed "authority" you sure do use "somehow" an awful lot....

Psychoblues
03-13-2007, 01:42 AM
Certainly I do not fully know or even pretend to understand the extent of the Halliburton entity. The first time I knew of them they claimed to be a subsidiary of Brown and Root, Inc. Brown and Root later became known as Kellog, Brown and Root. Now they, Halliburton, are the parent company of the KBR and a host of other entities and heavily connected with Bechtel, Global, Babcock and Wilcox, Ingersal Rand , many others and the Republican Party.

Please enlighten us then. As I understand it, Halliburton itself is an oil & gas company specializing in the exploration, recovery (mining), refining, infrastructure and decommissioning - i.e. the entire production cycle. It's subsidiary, KBR, handles engineering projects for a wide variety of customers, including the USA government.

But please, I'm sure you can enlighten us all as to what Halliburton does despite the overwhelming evidence to support the notion that they handle "oil infrastructure."
Or are you full of hot air, blather and balderdash?

I've been fucked a lot in my life. I can take it. I just don't think that YOU should have to take it as well. Take up your spear, aspiring soldier, and fight this fight or simply get out of the way and let the professionals defend that which is yours, ours and particularly mine. I will absolutely spear you to the death if you interfere with the protection of my own self and my family.

Uhhhhh,,,,Poetry is allowed here, isn't it?

CockySOB
03-13-2007, 01:48 AM
Certainly I do not fully know or even pretend to understand the extent of the Halliburton entity. The first time I knew of them they claimed to be a subsidiary of Brown and Root, Inc. Brown and Root later became known as Kellog, Brown and Root. Now they, Halliburton, are the parent company of the KBR and a host of other entities and heavily connected with Bechtel, Global, Babcock and Wilcox, Ingersal Rand , many others and the Republican Party.

I've been fucked a lot in my life. I can take it. I just don't think that YOU should have to take it as well. Take up your spear, aspiring soldier, and fight this fight or simply get out of the way and let the professionals defend that which is yours, ours and particularly mine. I will absolutely spear you to the death if you interfere with the protection of my own self and my family.

And yet nothing substantive to say? You talk a bit about some of the mergers and acquisitions (I assume) during Halliburton's lifetime. You use innuendo to claim the Republican Party is somehow involved. Then you jump track to talkign about protecting you and yours. without ever mention WHAT you are protecting you and yours from.

Please try to answer the question again, this time with specificity. Chicken Little routines are not exactly big sellers these days.

Psychoblues
03-13-2007, 01:54 AM
Although your silly ass flag avatar and your asinine questions detract me, I will do my best to please your juvenile curiosities.

And yet nothing substantive to say? You talk a bit about some of the mergers and acquisitions (I assume) during Halliburton's lifetime. You use innuendo to claim the Republican Party is somehow involved. Then you jump track to talkign about protecting you and yours. without ever mention WHAT you are protecting you and yours from.

Please try to answer the question again, this time with specificity. Chicken Little routines are not exactly big sellers these days.

What, exactly, is the "innuendo" to which you refer, 'lil rebel?

Hobbit
03-13-2007, 02:01 AM

If you ever bothered to learn what that word meant, you might know.

And whatever you think, you have still failed to enlighten us as to what Halliburton does, just that you know they're evil and that I'm completely and totally wrong about what they do.

CockySOB
03-13-2007, 02:07 AM
Although your silly ass flag avatar and your asinine questions detract me, I will do my best to please your juvenile curiosities.

The innuendo refers to how you failed to cite anything specific to tie Halliburton to the Republican party, as you stated in your post, and the fact that you view this alleged connection as being negative.

And why not try sticking to the topic at hand, or are you already seeing the future, where you get your ass handed to you once again?

Psychoblues
03-13-2007, 02:20 AM
Did I say "negative'? I think not. It's a perspective thing, don't you know!!!!

I ain't made a nickle from the Halliburton abuses of American trust and expectations. Maybe you have. But I never said "negative". Can you agree with only that? Or will you continue your lies and obfuscations?

The innuendo refers to how you failed to cite anything specific to tie Halliburton to the Republican party, as you stated in your post, and the fact that you view this alleged connection as being negative.

And why not try sticking to the topic at hand, or are you already seeing the future, where you get your ass handed to you once again?

The day you can "hand my ass to you" as you intimate will be the day I will be satisfied that you have successfully so indoctrinated yourself to idiocy that further discussion is so ill-advised that the worth of the DebatePolicy is also unworthy of my participation. I don't think for even a fleeting moment that you can demonstrate that kind of power over me or of any legitimate yet casual conversation on this board.

Maybe you can prove me wrong, but I seriously doubt it, 'lil rebel.

CockySOB
03-13-2007, 08:01 AM
Did I say "negative'? I think not. It's a perspective thing, don't you know!!!!How fucking pathetic of you! Your perspective is well-known and documented here - you hate GWB, the Republican Party and Halliburton! "Negative" is talking about a supposed link between the Republican Party and Halliburton, follwed immediately by a statement on how you didn't like getting fucked a lot in life. The connotation of this in your post is that "getting fucked" is a bad thing, since you obviously are willing to "spear me to death if you interfere with the protection of my own self and my family."

I ain't made a nickle from the Halliburton abuses of American trust and expectations. Maybe you have. But I never said "negative". Can you agree with only that? Or will you continue your lies and obfuscations?Read the above paragraph, piss-co-babbler. If you did not intend for your words to come out in the way they did, that'd be YOUR problem. And then read the source post again imbecile! I never said that you said the word "negative," so your request is moot.

The day you can "hand my ass to you" as you intimate will be the day I will be satisfied that you have successfully so indoctrinated yourself to idiocy that further discussion is so ill-advised that the worth of the DebatePolicy is also unworthy of my participation.You really, REALLY need to lay off the alcohol when you're posting, because your normally deficient powers of comprehension are even further impaired. Besides, we were talking about Halliburton and you were going to show us all how Halliburton is linked to the Republicans, and that they are both out to fuck you and yours. So please, do this, or shut... the... fuck... up!

BTW, I didn't "intimate" that you get your ass handed to you daily, I flat-out said it!

I don't think for even a fleeting moment that you can demonstrate that kind of power over me or of any legitimate yet casual conversation on this board.:lol: Just cover your ears a little more, squeeze your eyes shut just a little tighter, and keep saying "la la la la la la la la... I can't hear you."

Have a nice day! :fu:

03-13-2007, 12:04 PM
What do you mean with this statement? "That is exactly there business".

The whole point of a business is to make money. If they don't make money, then they can't hire people to work for them. If that happens then tons of people will be jobless and no work will get done to better society.

You still haven't addressed any of the questions. What business do you think Halliburton is in?

03-13-2007, 12:07 PM

I'm not sure he knows what he is trying to protect. So I'm not sure he can be specific. He is simply jumping at shadows.

CockySOB
03-13-2007, 12:11 PM
Psycho's posts from last night are proof positive that drunk-posting is about as intelligent a move as drunk-dialing... your ex-wife... at midnight... and her new husband answers... and he's the county Sheriff... and you called him "Sue."

(Apologies to Johnny Cash fans, but I HAD to trow in the reference!)

03-13-2007, 12:15 PM
Psycho's posts from last night are proof positive that drunk-posting is about as intelligent a move as drunk-dialing... your ex-wife... at midnight... and her new husband answers... and he's the county Sheriff... and you called him "Sue."

(Apologies to Johnny Cash fans, but I HAD to trow in the reference!)

This is exactly why I don't drink. Or at least one of the reasons.

BTW Can someone fix the title of the thread? that { in the middle is rather annoying to look at.

Dilloduck
03-13-2007, 04:24 PM
And Henry Waxman intends to get to the truth about it.

"Time's Karen Tumulty comments on Halliburton's plan to move its headquarters from Houston to Dubai: "Is this about tax breaks? Getting beyond the reach of congressional subpoenas? And what about all that sensitive information that Halliburton has had access to? At a minimum, reincorporating in Dubai would mean that Halliburton will be paying less taxes to the U.S. Treasury, even as it collects billions from government contracts." She also reports, "Henry Waxman is already planning to hold a hearing on this, an aide tells me."

More: http://thinkprogress.org/2007/03/11/waxman-plans-hearings-on-halliburton-move/

Shameful, just shameful. They make billions on no-bid-contract deals that they obtain from the American peoples and they don't want to pay taxes on even that!!!!!!!!

Look at the plus side---Soros bought $62 million dollars worth oh Halliburton---he'll just dontate some back to you libs and pocket some of that "war profiteering" money for himself. hmmmmmmm-- you really think Move On should be taking all that blood money ???

Dfresh
03-14-2007, 07:57 PM

I got to sentence three before I realized you're an idiot. Did you pull that information out of your ass? Please site references.....

Psychoblues
03-14-2007, 08:26 PM
Everytime that question or a question like it is asked the lunatic rightwing buzzers go off, the sirens blow and the word goes out to them to "shut up, at least till the reporters go away".

I got to sentence three before I realized you're an idiot. Did you pull that information out of your ass? Please site references.....

I'm glad you got to "sentence three". I couldn't stand the previous two so I didn't even notice it.

CockySOB
03-14-2007, 08:37 PM

I'm curious as to how you think he's an idiot. I'm no expert on international tax laws by any stretch, but his explanation matches other explanations I've heard.

stephanie
03-14-2007, 08:50 PM
Halliburton.........Is damned if they do....And damned if they don't...

Why the hell would they want to stay in a country where they are constantly vilified...

Why would they want to stay in a country....where a certain segment of it's population opposes the very job that they provide...

Losing Halliburton is a lose for us...

But you can be damn sure the liberals and the Democrats don't care...

Or at least not for the reasons that they should care, it seems...

Sitarro
03-14-2007, 09:16 PM
Halliburton is not moving to Dubai, they are moving their corporate headquarters to Dubai. They have numerous giant campuses all over Houston and the report is Houston will see no changes.

Dilloduck
03-14-2007, 09:19 PM
Halliburton is not moving to Dubai, they are moving their corporate headquarters to Dubai. They have numerous giant campuses all over Houston and the report is Houston will see no changes.

That's a fact jack. Drove by it the other day. I guess if Jewish CEO feels safe in Dubai in must be OK anyway.

Sitarro
03-14-2007, 09:21 PM
That's a fact jack. Drove by it the other day. I guess if Jewish CEO feels safe in Dubai in must be OK anyway.

I don't think too many people understand how enormous Halliburton is.

Psychoblues
03-14-2007, 09:23 PM
OK, Buckwheat, how will Houston see no changes?

Moving is moving. Jobs from corporate headquarters involved in the moving are negatively affected. Always.

Dilloduck
03-14-2007, 09:25 PM
I don't think too many people understand how enormous Halliburton is.

They need to hit the website and THAT's not even going to give em a clue. It's fricking HUGE.

stephanie
03-14-2007, 09:57 PM
Well..I still wouldn't blame Halliburton, if they packed up the whole shit and shebang and moved out of here....

The way some people talk about them...you'd think they we're the devil incarnate..:laugh2:

Psychoblues
03-16-2007, 08:55 PM
Halliburton came into power in the very early '80's. That was during the Reagan Administration. They have used their power to rape the American utility user and payer ever since. Do the math and the history.

They need to hit the website and THAT's not even going to give em a clue. It's fricking HUGE.

How'd they get so huge? The power industry has never seen them as being competitive but they have been forced by governmental favoritism to hire them anyway. Google that and see what you can come up with.