PDA

View Full Version : Illegal in coma set to be returned to Mexico; Family Objects

red states rule
08-21-2008, 10:43 AM
The family of the illegal has hired lawyers to prevent this man from being sent back home for continued treatment.

How far do we the taxpayers have to go? What do we owe this man except a free trip back home?

Of course the local paper does not use the word "illegal" in their headline

Undocumented immigrant in coma set to be returned to Mexico

A 30-year-old Mexican man in a coma at the University of Illinois Medical Center at Chicago has ignited a dispute over a little-known practice at hospitals—sending medically needy undocumented immigrants back to their countries of origin.

The disagreement revolves around Francisco Pantaleon, who arrived in the U.S. 11 years ago and suffered a severe brain hemorrhage in mid-July, according to his sister Socorro. A father of two, Pantaleon worked at a carwash and has no health insurance, she said.

The medical center believes there is "little hope for recovery," according to a statement released Tuesday, and officials arranged for Pantaleon to be transferred to a hospital in Acapulco at UIC's expense. An official said his immediate family consented to the move.

But Pantaleon's sister and cousin are protesting that arrangement and have retained lawyers in hopes of preventing it. "This is an injustice," said his sister, who worries that Pantaleon won't survive the trip or find adequate care in Mexico.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/lifestyle/health/chi-patient-deportaug20,0,1937823.story

Little-Acorn
08-21-2008, 10:50 AM
What have the doctors said about his chances of surviving the trip, vs. his chances of surviving if he stays in the States?

BTW, if his sister and cousin have the coin to hire all these lawyers, don't they have the coin to pay for his treatment and care?

red states rule
08-21-2008, 10:52 AM
What have the doctors said about his chances of surviving the trip, vs. his chances of surviving if he stays in the States?

BTW, if his sister and cousin have the coin to hire all these lawyers, don't they have the coin to pay for his treatment and care?

From what I have heard, (I learned about this from a local radio station) he is stable, little chance of recovery, and he can take the trip

The Dr's have said they have done all they can do

You are right, if the family can afford the lawyers (unless they are getting the service for free in exchange for publicity) they should be paying the hospital bill

Trigg
08-21-2008, 07:23 PM
People with little hope of recovery are routinely sent to long term care facilities. This person being sent to one in another country is a non-issue. Mexico has care facilities that are capable of taking care of this individual.

red states rule
08-21-2008, 07:26 PM
People with little hope of recovery are routinely sent to long term care facilities. This person being sent to one in another country is a non-issue. Mexico has care facilities that are capable of taking care of this individual.

You nailed it

But because he is an illegal, the lawyers and liberal media are ignoring that valid point

I love the fact how the liberal media is not calling him an illegal but rather an Undocumented immigrant

That is like calling a drug dealer a distrubuter of pharmaceutical equipment and supplies

Trigg
08-21-2008, 07:30 PM
You nailed it

But because he is an illegal, the lawyers and liberal media are ignoring that valid point

I love the fact how the liberal media is not calling him an illegal but rather an Undocumented immigrant

That is like calling a drug dealer a distrubuter of pharmaceutical equipment and supplies

I don't think they'll be successful, it wouldn't take much research to find a good facility in Mexico. Especially since many Americans travel to Mexico for cheap health care.

My Winter Storm
08-22-2008, 04:24 AM
If the mans life would be a risk if moved to Mexico, he must stay in the US, as to move him would kill him.

red states rule
08-22-2008, 07:56 AM
If the mans life would be a risk if moved to Mexico, he must stay in the US, as to move him would kill him.

He is stable, and there is no danger in moving him