PDA

View Full Version : ATTENTION puter GEEKS!!

Mr. P
08-21-2008, 09:57 PM
Here's one that's got me scratchin my head.

Pc with windows XP pro and Firefox. Started acting crazy at my friends house..if you type any letter in the address bar it pops up a printer window..same for the google search bar. Bookmarks work fine unless you need to type a user name, then the same, or different, window pops up. I have a weak wifi signal from somewhere nearby, they have an excellent wifi signal from comcast. Works great at my house on wifi. Explorer acts the same way.

I have reinstalled xp...no change.

I've never seen or heard of such a problem..

ANYONE?

-Cp
08-22-2008, 12:05 PM
Sounds to me like it could be a keyboard issue with either one of the cntrl keys or the windows key being slightly stuck down a bit...

No1tovote4
08-22-2008, 02:50 PM

Pc with windows XP pro and Firefox. Started acting crazy at my friends house..if you type any letter in the address bar it pops up a printer window..same for the google search bar. Bookmarks work fine unless you need to type a user name, then the same, or different, window pops up. I have a weak wifi signal from somewhere nearby, they have an excellent wifi signal from comcast. Works great at my house on wifi. Explorer acts the same way.

ANYONE?
Sounds like an "alt" key may be stuck. Try cleaning the keyboard.

Mr. P
08-22-2008, 03:35 PM
Sounds to me like it could be a keyboard issue with either one of the cntrl keys or the windows key being slightly stuck down a bit...

Sounds like an "alt" key may be stuck. Try cleaning the keyboard.

A keyboard problem did occur to me too. I've ruled that out because the puter works perfect at my house..but like it's possessed at my friends house.

Mr. P
08-23-2008, 06:36 PM
Jim! Sir Evil! HELP!!!

Gadget (fmr Marine)
08-25-2008, 10:08 AM
....too much 1 handed typing????

Oh....did I just say that out loud?

LuvRPgrl
08-25-2008, 01:30 PM

ANYONE?
Obviously you have to list all the variables that can change from your place to his. Using any different cables?

Mr. P
08-25-2008, 02:11 PM
Obviously you have to list all the variables that can change from your place to his. Using any different cables?

WiFi..no cables. The only difference may be the ISP but I don't see how that would affect the puter like this..

Mr. P
08-27-2008, 07:59 PM
I fixed it two days ago!!!! :dance:

No1tovote4
08-27-2008, 10:34 PM
I fixed it two days ago!!!! :dance:
And?

Mr. P
08-27-2008, 11:23 PM
And?

and...after re-installing windows, removing stuff, virus scanning, disk clean up and it worked fine at my house...it was the simplest of things...a loose router connection. I think.:laugh2: Works fine now.

LuvRPgrl
08-27-2008, 11:48 PM
and...after re-installing windows, removing stuff, virus scanning, disk clean up and it worked fine at my house...it was the simplest of things...a loose router connection. I think.:laugh2: Works fine now.

Ahemmmmm, like I said, Cables...... :)