PDA

View Full Version : Good People

midcan5
08-22-2008, 06:59 AM
Too often threads are only partisan blather. Most of the time the wingnuts are tools for the status quo which since Reagan has brought America closer to third world status. But there are good people and a few media sources that tell something about the reality of average working people - most Americans - and even the world. So here is a URL to one of those people for a change of pace. Enjoy.

http://www.barbaraehrenreich.com/index.htm

Another good people
http://vcnv.org/speaker-bio/kathy-kelly

Unemployed, underemployed or anxiously employed? Join us to work for change at www.unitedprofessionals.org.

www.workinglife.org:
A blog discussing the current state of the world of work

08-22-2008, 07:10 AM
reality? Reality according to whom???

diuretic
08-22-2008, 08:46 AM
av - you're excused from the thread.

Immanuel
08-22-2008, 09:03 AM
Good People like...

MFM, John Doe, Joe Steel, midcan, Desh

Abbey, Avatar4321, Red State Rules, dmp

diuretic (class by himself)

the list goes on and on here but I am not for the life of me going to list everyone here. :)

Good people come from both sides of the aisle. Too bad we don't always see that.

Sorry, that is completely off topic.

Immie

Silver
08-22-2008, 12:01 PM
Too often threads are only partisan blather. Most of the time the wingnuts are tools for the status quo which since Reagan has brought America closer to third world status. But there are good people and a few media sources that tell something about the reality of average working people - most Americans - and even the world. So here is a URL to one of those people for a change of pace. Enjoy.

Another good people

Unemployed, underemployed or anxiously employed? Join us to work for change at www.unitedprofessionals.org.

www.workinglife.org:

Reagon was 30 years ago and we're doing just fine,....never better in fact..

what fantasy world do you live in?
and you might try ignoring the voices in your head...

theHawk
08-22-2008, 02:07 PM
Too often threads are only partisan blather. Most of the time the wingnuts are tools for the status quo which since Reagan has brought America closer to third world status.

Thanks for proving your point within one sentance of stating it.

If America is so bad and so near "third world status", maybe its time you moved out of the country.

midcan5
08-22-2008, 02:08 PM
Reagon was 30 years ago and we're doing just fine,....never better in fact..

what fantasy world do you live in?
and you might try ignoring the voices in your head...

I finished reading 'America since 1980' a while ago and if there is one thing you could agree on it is the working class and working poor have fared poorly since Reagan and some was directly due to Reagan. Wages have gone down, unions have decreased, the supporting infrastructural has decreased, while health-care and other costs have risen. I look at Reagan as the beginning of the decline of what was a nation in line with European nations where everyone mattered not just the wealthy.

http://www.cepr.net/index.php/op-eds-columns/op-eds-columns/america-since-1980-a-right-turn-leading-to-a-dead-end/

midcan5
08-22-2008, 02:12 PM
Thanks for proving your point within one sentance of stating it.

LOL - glad someone noticed that!

A vote for John McCain is a vote against the fundamental principle of America, the right of the individual to lead their life privately without the government interfering.

actsnoblemartin
08-22-2008, 05:25 PM
I like the tone of this thread

Another good people

this one sounds good :) :clap:

www.workinglife.org:

AllieBaba
08-22-2008, 05:28 PM
I finished reading 'America since 1980' a while ago and if there is one thing you could agree on it is the working class and working poor have fared poorly since Reagan and some was directly due to Reagan. Wages have gone down, unions have decreased, the supporting infrastructural has decreased, while health-care and other costs have risen. I look at Reagan as the beginning of the decline of what was a nation in line with European nations where everyone mattered not just the wealthy.

http://www.cepr.net/index.php/op-eds-columns/op-eds-columns/america-since-1980-a-right-turn-leading-to-a-dead-end/

Gosh, then it's really strange that if you ask them how they're doing now compared to how they were doing then...they all say they're doing better.

Hmmm...wonder how that works. Oh, yeah. Somebody's lying.

Yurt
08-22-2008, 09:15 PM

bullcrap wages have gone down....your government keeps raising the minimum. and don't give me stuff about the cost of goods equal to this or that...that is not the fault of just one administration, if you think the cost of bread, milk, movie tickets, is solely due to one administration or the republican administration you are a bigger fool that i thought.

i don't see unions on the decrease....did you see the writers strike in hollywood....:poke: oh, they call them 'guilds' now :poke:

get yer facts straight

08-23-2008, 12:10 AM
bullcrap wages have gone down....your government keeps raising the minimum. and don't give me stuff about the cost of goods equal to this or that...that is not the fault of just one administration, if you think the cost of bread, milk, movie tickets, is solely due to one administration or the republican administration you are a bigger fool that i thought.

i don't see unions on the decrease....did you see the writers strike in hollywood....:poke: oh, they call them 'guilds' now :poke:

get yer facts straight

I also dont see why unions decreasing would be a bad thing.

manu1959
08-23-2008, 12:14 AM
I also dont see why unions decreasing would be a bad thing.

it wouldn't...it would mean that workers don't need the protection from the evil employers they once did.....and that wages and costs without union dues tacked on are more competitive.....

midcan5
08-24-2008, 08:09 AM
The 2006 elections were proof positive of the changes is attitude. Unions even when they are not present perform a valuable tool for working people as corporations care only for more money for stock holders and execs. Unions are the only tool the working class has to counter a dog eat dog mentality that pervades our business world since Reagan. Read the book if you doubt the figures, Google them or see the link above. I see this first hand in the wide separation in pay among people who do the same job but on the one hand the power of unions raised the boat of some. Ever wonder why NE America is the richest and most progressive part of America? Take a wild guess.

08-24-2008, 09:45 AM
The 2006 elections were proof positive of the changes is attitude. Unions even when they are not present perform a valuable tool for working people as corporations care only for more money for stock holders and execs. Unions are the only tool the working class has to counter a dog eat dog mentality that pervades our business world since Reagan. Read the book if you doubt the figures, Google them or see the link above. I see this first hand in the wide separation in pay among people who do the same job but on the one hand the power of unions raised the boat of some. Ever wonder why NE America is the richest and most progressive part of America? Take a wild guess.

Of course the corporations care about the money. They exist for the sole purpose of making profit. Without profit there would be no point to working and no one would have jobs.

Profit is not a bad thing. It's a very good thing. Its about time you people stopped pretending it was bad.

midcan5
08-28-2008, 03:08 PM
Of course the corporations care about the money. They exist for the sole purpose of making profit. Without profit there would be no point to working and no one would have jobs.

Profit is not a bad thing. It's a very good thing. Its about time you people stopped pretending it was bad.

That depends on where you exist in the food chain. Suppose your clients felt you were unnecessary as they could save by sending your work to India. There is a human and societal impact when corporations do not provide for their workers and for their workers futures so while you are right you miss the big picture. Our country is what we make it and corporations that conspire against fair wages and a decent life for its employees are every bit as dishonest as the common crook.

Dilloduck
08-28-2008, 03:24 PM
That depends on where you exist in the food chain. Suppose your clients felt you were unnecessary as they could save by sending your work to India. There is a human and societal impact when corporations do not provide for their workers and for their workers futures so while you are right you miss the big picture. Our country is what we make it and corporations that conspire against fair wages and a decent life for its employees are every bit as dishonest as the common crook.

You ain't stuck on the food chain for God sake's !! You can MOVE. You can retrain. etc etc etc. Since when is working at a job some kind of guarantee that you will always get to work there ? If you aren't willing to play the game you will lose and become a whiney bottom feeder. Simple as that.

08-28-2008, 03:40 PM

Id find another job. Just like everyone would.

The beauty of being human is that we arent stagnate. we can grow and develop new skills all of our life.

midcan5
08-28-2008, 04:24 PM
The discussion is not about me, that is the differnce between liberals and conservatives. The discussion is about what's good for everyone.

08-28-2008, 08:46 PM
The discussion is not about me, that is the differnce between liberals and conservatives. The discussion is about what's good for everyone.

There are few things in this world that are good for everyone. That's why its important that people pursue their own goals. They seek out what's good for themselves and their family. That's why government programs dont work. They dont benefit everyone. Politicians dont know what's good for everyone.

AFbombloader
08-28-2008, 09:09 PM

I don't beleive there is anything in this world is good for everyone. There will always be people who do not benefit from a program, law, etc. The people who don't benefit will either pull themself up by the bootstraps and make things better for themself, or they will sit and cry and wait for the government to fix things for them.

AF:salute: