PDA

View Full Version : What Biden Brings Obama

Kathianne
08-24-2008, 06:21 AM
Some good, some bad. This strikes me about right:

http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=MzIwYzM0NTJjOWU1Njg5NTlmOWY5OTRkOTVmMWJlMWU=

He makes Obama look weak, same as McCain. At the same time, he in ways matches up to McCain, problem is he's not running for president:

Biden [Yuval Levin]

For me, the most striking line in Obama’s introduction of Biden today was: “Joe Biden is what so many others pretend to be — a statesman with sound judgment who doesn't have to hide behind bluster to keep America strong.”

Hmmm…now who do we know who pretends to be a statesman?

The entire event made roughly the same point: boy, Obama is inexperienced and light. ...

Biden is not without his advantages of course. [COLOR="Blue"]He does know at least as much about foreign policy and defense issues as John McCain does, and far more than Obama.

[B]he largely takes the issue of McCain’s age off the table (unless the idea is that McCain is precisely six years too old to be president); he makes it far more difficult for Obama to talk about Iraq (since Biden voted for the war, and then bitterly criticized Obama’s withdrawal plans in the primaries); and he makes it tough to argue that Washington is the problem, as he has been there a good bit longer than McCain.

...Picking Biden is not an act of confidence, driven by a sense that the public likes what it sees in Obama and wants more of the same (as, for instance, the choice of Al Gore was in 1992). It is a sign, rather, that Obama recognizes that he is suddenly in some serious trouble, and will not be able to win the election the way he won the primaries. He is trying to do something to compensate

midcan5
08-24-2008, 07:53 AM
The idea that knowing something makes one a better anything is a false premise. I'm sure everyone here knows people whose knowledge of any number of topics is great. But how do they use that knowledge, and what parameters control the use of that knowledge. Consider the current republican presidency, another failure for peace, deficit spending, and for the working people, but surely Cheney and Bush know a bit. It's just that what they did with what they knew was wrong.

A vote for John McCain is a vote against the fundamental principle of America, the right of the individual to lead their life privately without the government interfering. McCain has sold his soul for the candidacy, for me that represents a man with little in the way of core values, what he knows then is unimportant.

Kathianne
08-24-2008, 07:57 AM
The idea that knowing something makes one a better anything is a false premise. I'm sure everyone here knows people whose knowledge of any number of topics is great. But how do they use that knowledge, and what parameters control the use of that knowledge. Consider the current republican presidency, another failure for peace, deficit spending, and for the working people, but surely Cheney and Bush know a bit. It's just that what they did with what they knew was wrong.

A vote for John McCain is a vote against the fundamental principle of America, the right of the individual to lead their life privately without the government interfering. McCain has sold his soul for the candidacy, for me that represents a man with little in the way of core values, what he knows then is unimportant.

Interesting, didn't say anything, but interesting.

08-24-2008, 09:46 AM
Double the ego, double the fun.