PDA

View Full Version : Michelle O:'I love this country'

theHawk
08-26-2008, 12:02 AM
I guess the Dems think we're all so stupid that they all they need to do is write in a few one liners in Michelle O's speech and all the questions about her will vanish. Could this had been any more canned and scripted? The Dims have shown us all once again that they just don't get it.

"That is the thread that connects our hearts. That is the thread that runs through my journey and Barack's journey and so many other improbable journeys that have brought us here tonight, where the current of history meets this new tide of hope.

"That is why I love this country," she said before the cheering audience.

The speeches were pretty lame and didn't talk to much about policy. It was all a makeover piece for Michelle O and for Obama himself. A whole night dedicated to damage control, thats how bad things are!

And this right-winger isn't the only one who thinks so-

While Kennedy and Michelle Obama earned rave reviews, analysts said the hours leading up to their appearances were largely uneventful.

"If this party has a message, it's done a hell of a job of hiding it tonight," said Carville, who was a strategist for Bill Clinton's presidential campaign. "Maybe we're going to look better on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, but we're playing 'hide the message' pretty well."

Bill Bennett, a political analyst for CNN, said it was "stunning" how little substance was offered up in the first two hours of the convention.

"Having worked on the choreography of these before, you need to grab people's attention with a message early on ... not to let these sort of hours get frittered away in a lot of hoopla which is fun and interesting but I don't think compelling," he said.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/08/25/dnc.main/index.html

Kathianne
08-26-2008, 04:37 AM
I watched the convention with a friend from about 7-9. I really wanted to catch Michelle's speech, but the one bad thing about teaching is the morning wake up time, it was too late. Luckily the TV alarm was set to CNN so I caught the 'highlights' and commentary. I thought I heard 'something' that just didn't sound right, so I went to the text:

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/full-text-michelle-obamas-speech/story.aspx?guid=%7BF3D18D51-F98A-40D6-832C-454F3B2AAC7D%7D&dist=msr_17

Here it is, a reworking of the 'first time...', just applied to 'world' now. They wish to fashion a world as they would have it, control over all:

...All of us driven by a simple belief that the world as it is just won't do - that we have an obligation to fight for the world as it should be...

Actually I think the speech as written was quite good. Her family story is compelling and a good model for any family, children first. From what I've read of the televising, the children were adorable and their interaction with their father a scene stealer.

retiredman
08-26-2008, 05:51 AM
she did a great job, but as previously noted, to the koolaid soaked partisans on the right, she and her husband will never say anything good or well.

Kathianne
08-26-2008, 06:40 AM
she did a great job, but as previously noted, to the koolaid soaked partisans on the right, she and her husband will never say anything good or well.

Partisan doesn't begin to describe you:

Actually I think the speech as written was quite good. Her family story is compelling and a good model for any family, children first. From what I've read of the televising, the children were adorable and their interaction with their father a scene stealer.

darin
08-26-2008, 07:37 AM
How can conservatives STOMACH the verbal vomit poured out and applauded at conventions like these?

theHawk
08-26-2008, 08:10 AM
How can conservatives STOMACH the verbal vomit poured out and applauded at conventions like these?

Well, it was pretty sickening to see a large crowd give thunderous applause to a scumbag who left a woman to drown. All while praising him as some great humanitarian. The hypocrisy was so rife it could of easily made one vomit. :puke3:

PostmodernProphet
08-26-2008, 08:35 AM
actually, I was impressed with Sasha......she obviously knows geography better than her dad, who thought he was in St Louis instead of Kansas City.....pretty good for a seven year old....

midcan5
08-26-2008, 11:37 AM
I watched a great deal on cspan where you don't have to listen to talking heads talk about whatever it is talking heads talk about. It was refreshing, the young girl who sang was wonderful, and the people who spoke about their relationship to Barack or to the values of democracy were excellent too. Kennedy has done more for working people and the troops than anyone I can think of. A very diverse crowd that represents the best values America has. Good stuff.

manu1959
08-26-2008, 12:05 PM
she loves her father, she loves her husband she loves her kids, she loves her country......she and barak and their kids are normal people just like me......

actually no they are not....not even close...i don't live in a million dollar home fly around on a million dollar jet and vacation in hawaii.......

and i would make a better president than he or mccain not to mention i have not hung out with a terrorist, a racist and a bunch of thiefs and scoundrels.....

i could fix this country in 90 days.......

Little-Acorn
08-26-2008, 12:21 PM
They wish to fashion a world as they would have it, control over all:

The problem with the liberals' vision of the "world as they would have it", is that it requires a change in fundamental human nature to make it so. Or, if human nature won't change, then it requires close, constant scrutiny 24/7 by government, followed by punishment for every "transgression" the liberals don't like... and there will be many.

Liberals expect us to subsume our own needs and desires, and work for the common good. Unfortunately, human nature contains a strong "me first" instinct that all of us have. The degree to which we realize that working for a common good helps "me" too, is the degree to which we change our nature to suit civilization. But that change is difficult, takes constant effort, and frequently falls short of the liberals' lofty ideals, since human nature persistently reasserts itself.

Conservatives realize that changing society to include the "me first" instinct among the things that get rewarded (free enterprise where people want to pay more for better results; taking a chance fails sometimes but wins big payoffs at other time, etc.), produces the best environment so far, for increased prosperity for the imperfect beings that we all are. Not everybody prospers in such an environment; but far more prosper in that environment than in any other found so far, long-term.

Liberals think that's not so, and are willing to gamble all our futures in an attempt to create a better world where we are all vaguely "encouraged" to work for the common good with no prospects for tantalizing reward. The fact that their plans fail time and again, does not daunt them, they merely decide they weren't liberal enough somehow, and start imposing even more scrutiny, restrictions, and punishments.

Sure, I want a better world, just as Michelle does. But I realize that I have to work with humans as they are, not as they "could be" (some changed version Michelle et. al. keep postulating). I want a method that SUCCEEDS, not just one that I can blame imperfect humans for the failure of.

manu1959
08-26-2008, 12:24 PM
very well said.....i saw one of the kennedy's say this best last night.....

it is our responsibility to "help" the less fortunate......

so we the rich would like to help you lead your life as we see fit.....

The problem with the liberals' vision of the "world as they would have it", is that it requires a change in fundamental human nature to make it so. Or, if human nature won't change, then it requires close, constant scrutiny 24/7 by government, followed by punishment for every "transgression" the liberals don't like... and there will be many.

Liberals expect us to subsume our own needs and desires, and work for the common good. Unfortunately, human nature contains a strong "me first" instinct that all of us have. The degreee to which we realize that working for a common good helps "me" too, is the degree to which we change our nature to suit civilization. But that change is difficult, takes constant effort, and frequently falls short of the liberals' lofty ideals, since human nature persistently reasserts itself.

Conservatives realize that changing society to include the "me first" instinct among the things that get rewarded (free enterprise where people want to pay more for better results; taking a chance fails sometimes but wins big payoffs at other time, etc.), produces the best environment so far, for increased prosperity for the imperfect beings that we all are. Liberals think that's not so, and are willing to gamble all our futures in an attempt to create a better world where we are all vaguely "encouraged" to work for the common good with no prospects for tantalizing reward. The fact that their plans fail time and again, does not daunt them, they merely decide they weren't liberal enough somehow, and start imposing even more scrutiny, restrictions, and punishments.

Sure, I want a better world, just as Michelle does. But I realize that I have to work with humans as they are, not as they "could be" (some changed version Michelle et. al. keep postulating).. I want a method that SUCCEEDS, not just one that I can blame imperfect humans for the failure of.

Sitarro
08-26-2008, 12:56 PM
I watched a great deal on cspan where you don't have to listen to talking heads talk about whatever it is talking heads talk about. It was refreshing, the young girl who sang was wonderful, and the people who spoke about their relationship to Barack or to the values of democracy were excellent too. Kennedy has done more for working people and the troops than anyone I can think of. A very diverse crowd that represents the best values America has. Good stuff.

Where did the bullshit term "working people" come from? Obviously a Democrat generated term but when did that become the way to describe people most others call middle class? Is this term suppose to suggest that people with money don't work? It's as ignorant of a term as African-American.

Sitarro
08-26-2008, 12:58 PM

I wonder if Teddy can tell us how many houses he owns or how many young women he's drowned or even how many giant sailing yachts he has.

manu1959
08-26-2008, 01:01 PM
I wonder if Teddy can tell us how many houses he owns or how many young women he's drowned or even how many giant sailing yachts he has.

two homes....one drownd....one boat .....he is a common man and if you would just do what he says you too can achieve the american dream.....

Little-Acorn
08-26-2008, 01:10 PM

It's the fundamental difference between conservatives and modern liberals (in both parties). Liberals' goals of prosperity can be met if a change in human nature takes place. Conservatives' goals of prosperity can be met with human nature as it is. Not universal, 100% prosperity - conservatives know that is impossible, where liberals seem to think it is possible... despite overwhelming evidence that it never is.

And when the human nature doesn't change, the liberals try to force it, via government legislation and coercion. They never intended the coercion in their plans, but it ALWAYS results.

manu1959
08-26-2008, 01:15 PM
It's the fundamental difference between conservatives and modern liberals (in both parties). Liberals' goals of prosperity can be met if a change in human nature takes place. Conservatives' goals of prosperity can be met with human nature as it is. Not universal, 100% prosperity - conservatives know that is impossible, where liberals seem to think it is possible... despite overwhelming evidence that it never is.

i would argue that conservatives whish to change the nature of those that simply wnat to be taken care of and can not or will not take care of themselves......you know work for a living....and take responsibility for your life.....

and then i would argue that liberals whish to change the nature of everyone that did figure it out to make them give all they have achived away to those that have not figured it out....

what i always wonder is why the liberals that want the evil conservatives to give it all away....don't set the example.....

the kennedy's, heinz kerry's, edwards, clintons, obama's, pelosis, fiensteins, sorros.....still live in the lap of luxury.....if you are going to talk the talk ...walk the walk....

crin63
08-26-2008, 04:59 PM
Lets give Michelle some credit here.

"I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking lady (guy),"

Oh wait those were Biden's comments about Berry, sorry!

No1tovote4
08-26-2008, 09:34 PM
Her speech was one of the most boring I've heard in ages.

The footnotes would read:

Speech about a family.

Mr. P
08-26-2008, 10:43 PM
Her speech was one of the most boring I've heard in ages.

The footnotes would read:

Speech about a family.

Exactly my opinion of it, in an attempt to project a new image, specifically of herself.

IMO the wives shouldn't speak, it's a waste of time and...I'm not voting for the wife.

diuretic
08-27-2008, 04:16 AM
I missed it. But judging by the wingnut response she must have been very, very good :laugh2:

red states rule
08-27-2008, 06:35 AM
I guess the Dems think we're all so stupid that they all they need to do is write in a few one liners in Michelle O's speech and all the questions about her will vanish. Could this had been any more canned and scripted? The Dims have shown us all once again that they just don't get it.

The speeches were pretty lame and didn't talk to much about policy. It was all a makeover piece for Michelle O and for Obama himself. A whole night dedicated to damage control, thats how bad things are!

And this right-winger isn't the only one who thinks so-

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/08/25/dnc.main/index.html

Anyone who believes she actually loves her country - or anyone who wants Obama as President

http://www.clipartof.com/images/clipart/xsmall2/5840_insane_man_in_a_strait_jacket_and_padded_room .jpg