PDA

View Full Version : Nearly 600 illegal aliens detained in raid on Mississippi plant

Little-Acorn
08-27-2008, 06:36 PM
As I've said, four things have to be done to solve the problem of people breaking into the country illegally:

1.) Build a strong fence along ALL parts of the border used for illegal crossings/smuggling.
2.) Augment the Border Patrol enough to properly patrol it.
3.) Crack down on employers who knowingly employ illegal aliens.
4.) Deport illegals who come to the attention of law enforcement (traffic ticket, shoplifting, etc.).

Doing these sweeps isn't a bad idea either, if you have firm knowledge that large numbers of illegals are being employed.

In the "related story" below, they do a sympathy piece on illegals being very afraid now, since the ICE folks have been enforcing the law. My heart bleeds. They have been knowingly and willingly breaking the law, for years in some cases. People doing that SHOULD be afraid of law enforcement officers doing their jobs! How can they get rid of the fear? Go home, and apply for visas like the other law-abiding people.

The woman being quoted, is apparently an illegal alien too (ICE gave her a GPS bracelet and told her to report to court in a month, then let her go to care for her children).

My question is: Since she and her husband knew they were breaking the law and could be deported as as result, what plans did the two of them made for the care of their children if/when it happened? Did they plan to take them back to their home country? Did they plan to leave them in the care of legal resident friends/family here? Did they make no plans at all, and so planned to abandon their own children if/when the cops caught up with them? What kind of parents are they???

------------------------------------------------------

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D92Q6K480&show_article=1&state=-1|0|0|0|0|0|0|1|0|0#6

ICE: Nearly 600 detained in Miss. plant raid

By HOLBROOK MOHR
Associated Press Writer
Aug 26 04:36 PM US/Eastern

LAUREL, Miss. (AP) - Federal officials say nearly 600 suspected illegal immigrants were detained in a raid on a manufacturing plant in southern Mississippi, making it the largest such sweep in the country.

A spokeswoman says more than 100 of those caught up in Monday's raid on Howard Industries were released based on humanitarian concerns, mostly because they have children.

Most of the rest were transferred to a federal Immigration and Customs Enforcement facility in Jena, La. Nine 17-year-olds were transferred to the custody of the Office of Refugee Resettlement.

The Mississippi raid was one of a series of recent high-profile crackdowns on illegal immigrants. In May, officials swept into the Agriprocessors kosher meatpacking plant in Iowa and detained 400 workers.

-------------------------------------------------

RELATED STORY:

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080827/D92QIKFG0.html

Fear grips immigrants after Miss. plant raid

By HOLBROOK MOHR
Aug 27, 6:16 AM (ET)

LAUREL, Miss. (AP) - A day after the largest single-workplace immigration raid in U.S. history, Elizabeth Alegria was too scared to send her son to school and worried about when she'd see her husband again.

Nearly 600 immigrants suspected of being in the country illegally were detained, creating panic among dozens of families in this small southern Mississippi town.

Alegria, 26, a Mexican immigrant, was working at the Howard Industries transformer plant Monday when U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents stormed in. When they found out she has two sons, ages 4 and 9, she was fitted with a bracelet and told to appear in federal court next month. But her husband, Andres, wasn't so lucky.

"I'm very traumatized because I don't know if they are going to let my husband go and when I will see him," Alegria said through a translator Tuesday as she returned to the Howard Industries parking lot to retrieve her sport utility vehicle.

(snip)

Fabiola Pena, 21, cradled her 2-year-old daughter as she described a chaotic scene at the plant as the raid began, followed by clapping.

"I was crying the whole time. I didn't know what to do," Pena said. "We didn't know what was happening because everyone started running. Some people thought it was a bomb but then we figured out it was immigration."

About 100 of the 595 detained workers were released for humanitarian reasons, many of them mothers who were fitted with electronic monitoring bracelets and allowed to go home to their children, officials said.

Monkeybone
08-28-2008, 09:29 AM
I saw this, good job ICE :clap:

i also liked how Mississippi has laws now that will definately punish the employer as well. that is the main point that is being missed.

it did make me chuckle though, " We were being treated like criminals" :laugh2: