PDA

View Full Version : Should Republicans Delay Convention Due To Gustav

red states rule
08-29-2008, 06:56 AM
With a powerful hurricane heading toward La, Tx, or Fl; should the Republican convention be delayed?

If the US is hit with a major hurricane I know the Dems will be on TV painting Republicans as heartless monsters while Americans suffer

Or do Republicans hold their convention while making sure the proper people are in place, relief supplies are ready to be shipped; and tell us life goes on?

Joe Steel
08-29-2008, 07:19 AM
Absolutely not.

Nature will be in balance with disasters at both ends of the Mississippi.

PostmodernProphet
08-29-2008, 09:07 AM
unless the delegates are emergency services workers needed to load sand bags.....no.....just make sure people who know what they are doing are doing it.....

red states rule
08-29-2008, 09:09 AM
unless the delegates are emergency services workers needed to load sand bags.....no.....just make sure people who know what they are doing are doing it.....

I agree

However, we both know the liberal media will be screaming why are Republicans are having a party while people suffer from the effects of the storm

No1tovote4
08-29-2008, 09:29 AM
And if the Rs did postpone the convention they'll have 24/7 Katrina repeats on the News Channels.

red states rule
08-29-2008, 09:32 AM
And if the Rs did postpone the convention they'll have 24/7 Katrina repeats on the News Channels.

Republicans are damned if they do and damned if they don't. The liberal media will twist the facts to fit their all liberal agenda

PostmodernProphet
08-29-2008, 10:16 AM
I agree

However, we both know the liberal media will be screaming why are Republicans are having a party while people suffer from the effects of the storm

lords, they will be screaming no matter what....so, just do what's right, not what will keep them from screaming.....

red states rule
08-29-2008, 01:37 PM
lords, they will be screaming no matter what....so, just do what's right, not what will keep them from screaming.....

No matter what they do the liberal media will launch into attacks. It is how they "report" the news these days

08-29-2008, 01:40 PM
I'm not worried about Gustav. Governor Jindal is in charge now.

red states rule
08-29-2008, 01:41 PM
I'm not worried about Gustav. Governor Jindal is in charge now.

Very true. Now the folks in La have a adult in charge of the state, but the people of NO still have the incompetent Ray Nagin to deal with

Dilloduck
08-29-2008, 03:35 PM
Very true. Now the folks in La have a adult in charge of the state, but the people of NO still have the incompetent Ray Nagin to deal with

Hey--It could still hit a town in Texas with white people in it so nobody would care ! :laugh2:

mundame
08-29-2008, 04:32 PM
Sure --- postpone the GOP convention.

Use the time to replace Palin with somebody voters actually respect.

red states rule
08-29-2008, 04:36 PM

From what I have seen, conservatives are very happy

The liberal media, the Obababots, and Hillary gals are pissed off

McCain made the correct call. Why change it?

Dilloduck
08-29-2008, 10:11 PM

Respect a politician ??? Are you nuts !!!:laugh2:

manu1959
08-29-2008, 10:57 PM

you don't care who the gop picks ..... stop with the feigned indignation....

08-30-2008, 01:04 AM

We do respect her. So much so that McCain raised $3 million today.

08-30-2008, 01:05 AM

No. She cares. She is scared.

08-30-2008, 01:05 AM
Respect a politician ??? Are you nuts !!!:laugh2:

So rare that happens huh?

red states rule
08-30-2008, 06:02 AM

Now if McCain would have picked Hillary she would have been dancing in the street

eighballsidepocket
08-30-2008, 01:14 PM
Can't wait indefinitely, as there's another storm called "Hannah" that could become a hurricane and might hit the Florida panhandle.

Just "buck up" GOP, and go forward with the convention.

The storms are in God's hands, not ours.

eighballsidepocket
08-30-2008, 01:42 PM
Hot off of Drudge........

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/28/AR2008082803165_pf.html
GOP Considers Delaying Convention
Tropical Storm Gustav Is Forecast to Hit U.S. Next Week as Hurricane

By Dan Eggen and Michael D. Shear
Washington Post Staff Writers
Friday, August 29, 2008; A21

Republican officials said yesterday that they are considering delaying the start of the GOP convention in Minneapolis-St. Paul because of Tropical Storm Gustav, which is on track to hit the Gulf Coast, and possibly New Orleans, as a full-force hurricane early next week.

The threat is serious enough that White House officials are also debating whether President Bush should cancel his scheduled convention appearance on Monday, the first day of the convention, according to administration officials and others familiar with the discussion.

For Bush and Republican presidential candidate John McCain, Gustav threatens to provide an untimely reminder of Hurricane Katrina. A new major storm along the Gulf Coast would renew memories of one of the low points of the Bush administration, while pulling public attention away from McCain's formal coronation as the GOP presidential nominee.

Senior Republicans said images of political celebration in the Twin Cities while thousands of Americans flee a hurricane could be dubious. "Senator McCain has always been sensitive to national crisis," said McCain spokesman Tucker Bounds, noting that the senator postponed announcing his presidential candidacy in 2000 because of the war in the Balkans. "We are monitoring the situation very closely."

Matt Burns, a spokesman for the convention, said that as of last night, it is scheduled to open on time. "We are planning for our convention to open on Monday," he said. "Like all Americans, we are monitoring the situation closely in the Gulf."

KitchenKitten99
08-30-2008, 06:09 PM
Delay won't happen. I am at one of the convention hotels right now and I asked one of the delegates about the delay and she stated that there was thought about it, but there is really no point in doing so. What would they do with everyone that spent time and money to come into town, only for the event to be cancelled due to weather some 1200+ miles away where nothing will even reach us?

As of right now, everything is continuing as planned.

Sitarro
08-30-2008, 06:31 PM
I think this would be a great time for Osama to show what a real badass he is and take a kayak out to one of the rigs for a campaign visit.:laugh2::laugh2:

I would be impressed, come on Osama, just do it! You're not chicken are ya? And hey, take little Joey with you, he can be your camera boy.:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

PostmodernProphet
08-30-2008, 07:34 PM
"this (hurricane) Gustav is proof that there is a God in heaven,” Moore said, laughing. “To have it planned at the same time, that it would actually be on its way to New Orleans for day one of the Republican Convention, up in the Twin Cities, at the top of the Mississippi River.”

http://www.talkentertainment.com/TalkBack.aspx?art=5510

eighballsidepocket
08-30-2008, 08:14 PM
http://www.talkentertainment.com/TalkBack.aspx?art=5510

Sometimes I think that Moore is evil incarnate......

red states rule
08-31-2008, 06:26 AM
Now a former DNC Chairman now laughs, and hopes for the storm to hit

These libs are showing there real side by hoping people are killed, their homes destroyed, and entire regions of the US destroyed

Former DNC Chair Laughs About Gustav's Timing to Hit N'Orleans
By Noel Sheppard (Bio | Archive)
August 30, 2008 - 17:55 ET

For those unfamiliar, Donald Fowler was the national chairman of the Democratic National Committee between 1995 and 1997.

According to the video embedded right, Fowler, on a plane from Denver to Charlotte following the recently concluded Democratic National Convention, was joking with Rep. John Spratt (D-SC) about the timing of Hurricane Gustav potentially hitting New Orleans when the Republicans start their convention.

At least that's what it appears he's talking about:

Plus they think the hurricane's going to hit (starts laughing) New Orleans about the time they start. The timing, at least it appears now, that it'll be there Monday. That just demonstrates God's on our side

Given that Louisiana Rep. Steve Scalise (R) has reportedly asked Michael Moore to apologize for similar comments made on MSNBC's "Countdown" Friday evening, one should think Fowler will also come under some scrutiny.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2008/08/30/former-dnc-chair-laughs-about-timing-gustav-hitting-n-o

red states rule
08-31-2008, 08:42 AM
Pres Bush said this morning he will not be attending the convention. Perhaps the convention should be delayed

crin63
08-31-2008, 09:31 AM

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :lame2:

08-31-2008, 09:33 AM
Pres Bush said this morning he will not be attending the convention. Perhaps the convention should be delayed

nah. why delay it when those who need to be there will be and those who dont arent.

red states rule
08-31-2008, 09:35 AM
nah. why delay it when those who need to be there will be and those who dont arent.

There is now talk about holding a fund raiser for those areas hit by the storm. I would guess plans are being made to both delay the convention, and if it goe on as planned

crin63
08-31-2008, 09:38 AM
Just continue as scheduled. The MSM will crucify the GOP no matter what they do. The only reason to delay is to make a dog and pony show out of how compassionate the GOP is this time.

It seems to me if the folks in La blamed Republicans they wouldn't have elected Jindal to be their Gov.

red states rule
08-31-2008, 09:39 AM
Just continue as scheduled. The MSM will crucify the GOP no matter what they do. The only reason to delay is to make a dog and pony show out of how compassionate the GOP is this time.

It seems to me if the folks in La blamed Republicans they wouldn't have elected Jindal to be their Gov.

But the folks in NO reelected Nagin. Some people never learn from their mistakes

krisy
08-31-2008, 09:49 AM
The only thing that worries me about going on with the convention is that the governors of Louisiana,Mississippi,Florida,and President Bush may end up not attending. That is what I just read on Fox. The Florida governor may attend Tuesday,but the rest may not at all.

Tough decision to make,but like Fuzzy said,a lot of people have spent a lot of time and money to be there.

Kathianne
08-31-2008, 11:21 AM
The only thing that worries me about going on with the convention is that the governors of Louisiana,Mississippi,Florida,and President Bush may end up not attending. That is what I just read on Fox. The Florida governor may attend Tuesday,but the rest may not at all.

Tough decision to make,but like Fuzzy said,a lot of people have spent a lot of time and money to be there.

I just heard on radio that Bush & Cheney definitely will not attend tomorrow. I can't imagine that the governors from Gulf states will either. From what I'm hearing, they are basically going to turn it into a telethon to help whichever states get hit

krisy
08-31-2008, 11:42 AM
I just heard on radio that Bush & Cheney definitely will not attend tomorrow. I can't imagine that the governors from Gulf states will either. From what I'm hearing, they are basically going to turn it into a telethon to help whichever states get hit

Wow! You mean the heartless Republicans will help the victims of the hurricane?!! I've never heard of such a thing! :coffee:

Seriously,good for them. These states will need the country to pull together for them good ol U.S.A. style.

Kathianne
08-31-2008, 10:47 PM
Now a former DNC Chairman now laughs, and hopes for the storm to hit

These libs are showing there real side by hoping people are killed, their homes destroyed, and entire regions of the US destroyed

Former DNC Chair Laughs About Gustav's Timing to Hit N'Orleans
By Noel Sheppard (Bio | Archive)
August 30, 2008 - 17:55 ET

For those unfamiliar, Donald Fowler was the national chairman of the Democratic National Committee between 1995 and 1997.

According to the video embedded right, Fowler, on a plane from Denver to Charlotte following the recently concluded Democratic National Convention, was joking with Rep. John Spratt (D-SC) about the timing of Hurricane Gustav potentially hitting New Orleans when the Republicans start their convention.

At least that's what it appears he's talking about:

Plus they think the hurricane's going to hit (starts laughing) New Orleans about the time they start. The timing, at least it appears now, that it'll be there Monday. That just demonstrates God's on our side

Given that Louisiana Rep. Steve Scalise (R) has reportedly asked Michael Moore to apologize for similar comments made on MSNBC's "Countdown" Friday evening, one should think Fowler will also come under some scrutiny.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2008/08/30/former-dnc-chair-laughs-about-timing-gustav-hitting-n-o

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2008/08/ex-dem-chair-ap.html

...Fowler was secretly recorded by the person sitting behind him while flying from Denver, Colo., to Charlotte, N.C., following the Democratic National Convention. His conversation with Rep. John Spratt, D-S.C., was anonymously posted to YouTube and highlighted by RedState.com, a conservative blog.

Watch it HERE.

"One doesn't anticipate that one's private conversation will be surreptitiously taped by some right-wing nutcase," said Fowler. "But that's the nature of what we're dealing with."

Fowler, a superdelegate who endorsed Hillary Clinton in 2007, was caught on tape saying: "The hurricane’s going to hit New Orleans about the time they start. The timing is -- at least it appears now that it’ll be there Monday. That just demonstrates that God’s on our side. [Laughter] Everything’s cool."...

Boomerang effect: (http://www.pajamasmedia.com/instapundit/archives2/023708.php)

...And there are numerous additional examples of such moments, a few of which are described in the above link.

But as is its wont, the Internet amps these sorts of moments not up to 11, but 1100. George Allen's Senatorial re-election in 2006 was sunk by his "Macaca" gaffe, which was part of a coordinated effort by the left to videotape Republican candidates during every possible appearance (and then some), waiting for any sort of gaffe that could be turned into a YouTube clip and exploited by a friendly news organization such as the Washington Post, which ran over 100 stories on Allen's gaffe in the space of about less than three months, in which he apparently mispronounced his campaign staff's nickname of the young mohawk-haired James Webb campaign operative assigned to tape him.

Whatever the explanation, Allen's gaffe, given massive exposure from the Washington Post and other quarters in the MSM ended his senatorial career, which ultimately lost GOP control of the Senate, and sank Allen's presidential ambitions. In its wake, Markos Moulitsas of the Daily Kos gleefully wrote:

Every appearance by a top Republican official or candidate should be recorded. Every one of them.

All it takes is one "Macaca" incident to transform a race or create one where one didn't exist. As the Montana incident blogged earlier today showed, a video can knock out prospective candidates before they even enter.

And this is no longer about finding one big blunder to put on a campaign commercial. It's about using video and (free) technologies like YouTube to build narratives about opponents, using their own words, at their own events.

A couple of years ago, Jonah Goldberg wrote:

Liberals are geniuses at unleashing social panics because A) it never occurs to them that their motives are anything but pure and B) because they are almost exclusively focused on short term tactics. And yet they are invariably shocked when these moral frenzies come back to bite them.

The "tape 'em all, let YouTube sort it out" philosophy began on the left, but its eventual boomerang was merely a matter of when, not if.