PDA

View Full Version : Stumped : XP machine crippled

NightTrain
08-30-2008, 01:01 AM
Hi guys

This is my final effort to try and salvage my main computer.

I was gone from home for a couple of months and my kids did something to it that crippled it - no one is confessing, so I'm in the dark.

I run a 1800 GHz x2 duo-core pentium, 2g RAM, ATI vid card.

This system has always been stable, but whilst I was away it got hammered. I have both Spybot and Adaware on board, with AVG 8 providing antivirus and ZoneAlarm providing firewall.

I returned to find my network connections wiped out - everything is deleted and when I try to reinstall via ISP disk, it's "No PPPOE Devices Found!" message.

When I go to look at my devices, nothing happens at device manager - I click on 'Properties' and nothing happens.

Same with Search - I figured I'd find out what was changed most recently and narrow it down but search doesn't work. I click and nothing happens.

System Restore is wiped out, for some reason that is not an option so whatever bug I have changed that as well.

With my out of date definitions, Spybot, Adaware and AVG 8 are all telling me my machine is clean - so I'm hosed.

Has anyone had a problem recently like this? Or have any idea as to what suddenly killed my 'bulletproof' machine?

Possibly a partial hard drive failure? Trojan? Virus?

Zonealarm wouldn't load, so I uninstalled it... but that didn't change anything.

Mr. P
08-30-2008, 07:33 AM
Can you boot in safe mode?

Said1
08-30-2008, 08:30 AM
Hi guys

This is my final effort to try and salvage my main computer.

I was gone from home for a couple of months and my kids did something to it that crippled it - no one is confessing, so I'm in the dark.

I run a 1800 GHz x2 duo-core pentium, 2g RAM, ATI vid card.

This system has always been stable, but whilst I was away it got hammered. I have both Spybot and Adaware on board, with AVG 8 providing antivirus and ZoneAlarm providing firewall.

I returned to find my network connections wiped out - everything is deleted and when I try to reinstall via ISP disk, it's "No PPPOE Devices Found!" message.

When I go to look at my devices, nothing happens at device manager - I click on 'Properties' and nothing happens.

Same with Search - I figured I'd find out what was changed most recently and narrow it down but search doesn't work. I click and nothing happens.

System Restore is wiped out, for some reason that is not an option so whatever bug I have changed that as well.

With my out of date definitions, Spybot, Adaware and AVG 8 are all telling me my machine is clean - so I'm hosed.

Has anyone had a problem recently like this? Or have any idea as to what suddenly killed my 'bulletproof' machine?

Possibly a partial hard drive failure? Trojan? Virus?

Zonealarm wouldn't load, so I uninstalled it... but that didn't change anything.

I had something similar after a pccleaner virus attacked me. It got so bad, I couldn't always open browers on top of doing some of what you mentioned above.I managed to clean most of it up (i'll post thread in a minute) but I eventually had to reformat.

Said1
08-30-2008, 08:34 AM
Here's the thread with some solutions. I hope this helps. http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?t=6901

Good luck, you might want to try valum first. :laugh2:

NightTrain
08-30-2008, 12:05 PM
Can you boot in safe mode?

Yes, I can load both safe mode and normal, but that doesn't change anything... no network and the same buggy things going on.

NightTrain
08-30-2008, 12:06 PM
Here's the thread with some solutions. I hope this helps. http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?t=6901

Good luck, you might want to try valum first. :laugh2:

Thanks, Said1, I'll give that a whirl.

Mr. P
08-30-2008, 12:10 PM
How about re-installing xp?

No1tovote4
08-30-2008, 02:12 PM
Backup, clean reinstall.

NightTrain
08-31-2008, 03:25 AM
Yeah, I guess I'll give up and reinstall XP on it. Just really bothers me that I may have got beat by a bug, I've never had to do it with my Spybot / Adaware / AVG / Zonealarm combo.

Just wish I knew for sure that it was a bug that nailed me and not a local failure... just to be sure I'll review and see if I can add to my protection.

Thanks for the advice, guys :)

Nukeman
08-31-2008, 07:03 AM
I read in an anonymous blog that a guy named "JOE STEAL" has been going around to peoples computers and screwing with them. this exact same scenario has been happening to conservative computers all over the world. I have it on VERY good authority that it is him doing it....:coffee::tinfoil::tinfoil:

Because Lord knows if it is in a blog somewhere it is gospel isn't that right JOE???????

Gaffer
08-31-2008, 08:37 AM
Yeah, I guess I'll give up and reinstall XP on it. Just really bothers me that I may have got beat by a bug, I've never had to do it with my Spybot / Adaware / AVG / Zonealarm combo.

Just wish I knew for sure that it was a bug that nailed me and not a local failure... just to be sure I'll review and see if I can add to my protection.

Thanks for the advice, guys :)

Add ASquared virus scanner. Let AVG do the regular work and run ASquard separately. It tends to pick up little things that AVG misses.

Sounds like you had a worm, that may not still be there but did enough damage before it was found to destroy your system. You definitely need to wipe it all out and start fresh.

NightTrain
09-01-2008, 12:18 PM
I read in an anonymous blog that a guy named "JOE STEAL" has been going around to peoples computers and screwing with them. this exact same scenario has been happening to conservative computers all over the world. I have it on VERY good authority that it is him doing it....:coffee::tinfoil::tinfoil:

Because Lord knows if it is in a blog somewhere it is gospel isn't that right JOE???????

lol, funny stuff.

NightTrain
09-01-2008, 12:22 PM
Add ASquared virus scanner. Let AVG do the regular work and run ASquard separately. It tends to pick up little things that AVG misses.

Sounds like you had a worm, that may not still be there but did enough damage before it was found to destroy your system. You definitely need to wipe it all out and start fresh.

Yeah, I've fought it for long enough, while I'll lose some good tunes and pics from this summer, it can be replaced. Going to just wipe it clean and start fresh.

Interestingly, I found a bunch of stuff in the profile that the kids use from www.toggle.com, and a bit of googling turned up that the site is loaded with nasty trojans and worms. I suspect the kids clicked through and let the wolf in the door.

namvet
09-06-2008, 11:55 AM
Yeah, I've fought it for long enough, while I'll lose some good tunes and pics from this summer, it can be replaced. Going to just wipe it clean and start fresh.

Interestingly, I found a bunch of stuff in the profile that the kids use from www.toggle.com, and a bit of googling turned up that the site is loaded with nasty trojans and worms. I suspect the kids clicked through and let the wolf in the door.

what i was gonna suggest. start from scratch. and take the kids to the wood shed..................:laugh2: