PDA

View Full Version : Do you think McCain made the right choice with Palin?

08-30-2008, 11:41 AM
Figured id do a public poll.

Why?

Kathianne
08-30-2008, 11:44 AM
I need to see and hear more from her. I'm just not familiar enough with what she's done. What I've seen from NightTrain and Stephanie is very reassuring though.

Mr. P
08-30-2008, 11:53 AM
I need to see and hear more from her. I'm just not familiar enough with what she's done. What I've seen from NightTrain and Stephanie is very reassuring though.

What she said.

CockySOB
08-30-2008, 11:57 AM
Needs to be an "Oh hell YEAH!" choice up there.

Palin is a PROVEN fiscal conservative with a track record of taking out the trash no matter if it is in the Republican party or not. If the McCain-Palin administration over the next four years is even partially as successful as her term in Alaska has been, she should be a 2-term POTUS starting in 2012 with no problems.

I don't like McCain, I've said it before on many occasions. But his choice of Palin (who I never had heard of prior) has reinvigorated me as a fiscal conservative.

Immanuel
08-30-2008, 01:31 PM
I think he could have made a much worse choice.

For now, I think she was a good choice. From what little bit I have been able to read about her, I like what I see. It won't change my thoughts on voting for McCain, whom I have never liked, but I suppose that if Florida is really close come November, I might have to consider whether it is feasible to waste a vote on a third party or a no vote.

But none of us will really know if he made the right choice until late in the evening of Nov. 4th.

Immie

MtnBiker
08-30-2008, 01:35 PM
Well the left loonies are going apeshit crazy over the pick, so there must be something good about the choice.

Abbey Marie
08-30-2008, 04:38 PM
Well the left loonies are going apeshit crazy over the pick, so there must be something good about the choice.

Good point. Joe Steel's head is about to explode.

stephanie
08-30-2008, 04:42 PM
great choice.:clap:

Abbey Marie
08-30-2008, 04:46 PM
I couldn't say if it is the right choice, but so far, I really like it.

And as MB says, the Dems appear to be running skeered.

Sitarro
08-30-2008, 05:01 PM
She got rid of the Governor's cook saying she can make sandwiches for her family all by her self. She refused to fly on the State jet, instead, she put it up for sale on ebay. She couldn't believe the experts in the oil field in Alaska were just burning off the natural gas that was a byproduct of drilling. She had them bid on building a pipeline to the lower 48 states for our use, they gave her the same old bullshit....... she talked to a firm in Canada that gave her a respectful bid which woke up the American companies. There is work in progress for 2 pipelines now.

She is the type of leader this country has been wishing for and will be underestimated by the "good old boys" like Biden. She'll neuter that arrogant old shit if he actually has any nuts to claim. The Democrat party has made a career of underestimating Republicans to their downfall over and over again...... they are doing it again this election.

I"m surprised that the Dems aren't running that ShamWow sales guy........ well then again, they are, kind of .......... Osama is basically a used shit salesman with a big budget backer to make his sales speeches look impressive. I have to admit, 5 million buys an impressive looking speech.

Abbey Marie
08-30-2008, 05:07 PM
Sitarro, I tried to rep you for the ShamWow reference. Funny!

Kathianne
08-30-2008, 05:47 PM
Sitarro, I tried to rep you for the ShamWow reference. Funny!

Covered.

Sitarro
08-30-2008, 06:18 PM
Covered.

Thanks ladies, I was watching his commercial last night and I thought of Osama with one of those head boom mikes. He had his own Britney moment with his Mile High rap, I can't believe he didn't use one and have backup dancers singing a chorus of "Change" on stage with him, that would have really made it a true show.

Nuc
08-30-2008, 06:43 PM
Look......anybody has the right to run for nomination for President. Even if Michael Jackson or Britney Spears runs it's the public's problem if they are dumb enough to go for that.

However once the nominee gets the nod it's his RESPONSIBILITY to choose a good VP. How many times have we heard recently that the main criterion is that the person should be able to serve as President in case of death or disability of the serving President?

Does anybody really believe Palin is the BEST possible choice McCain had in this regard? Is she the best American? Best Republican? Is she even the best female Republican he could have chosen? Best from the pool of Republican Governors? C'mon who's kidding who?

VP choice is too serious to goof around with gimmicky crap like gender, race or whatever. It should be the best person for the job. She is NOT. This is reminiscent of the Dan Quayle fiasco. :salute:

Kathianne
08-30-2008, 06:54 PM
Look......anybody has the right to run for nomination for President. Even if Michael Jackson or Britney Spears runs it's the public's problem if they are dumb enough to go for that.

However once the nominee gets the nod it's his RESPONSIBILITY to choose a good VP. How many times have we heard recently that the main criterion is that the person should be able to serve as President in case of death or disability of the serving President?

Does anybody really believe Palin is the BEST possible choice McCain had in this regard? Is she the best American? Best Republican? Is she even the best female Republican he could have chosen? Best from the pool of Republican Governors? C'mon who's kidding who?

VP choice is too serious to goof around with gimmicky crap like gender, race or whatever. It should be the best person for the job. She is NOT. This is reminiscent of the Dan Quayle fiasco. :salute:

Quayle was VP, no?

Why do you think Biden was chosen, because he's a white male, with cred from Senate with foreign affairs and judiciary bonafides? His record in judiciary is one of splitting the nation politically. His record in foreign affairs is of not making a major misstep, relying on the executive branch.

Nuc
08-30-2008, 06:59 PM
It is possible that Obama thought Biden was the best choice available to him. At least he's not a ludicrous choice.

It is not credible that McCain can think the same about Palin. It is a cynical political gimmick intended to confuse female voters and activate the far right in one fell swoop. Palin basically referred to that in her acceptance speech. I thought Republicans were supposed to be against affirmative action?

PostmodernProphet
08-30-2008, 07:29 PM
I thought Republicans were supposed to be against affirmative action?

we're not against firm action....and Palin seems capable of that.....

emmett
08-30-2008, 07:41 PM
Sarah Palin will be the queen of America! PERIOD!

Honest, tough, ain't skeered and hot!

Yurt
08-30-2008, 07:43 PM
i am not sure because i do not know enough about her. what sitarro said about her makes me like her more, but i already voted. i think mccain was smart to pick a woman, especially someone more conservative than him (not that hard). reality is that the masses will be seeing how the dems have a half black guy and the dems would have been all over the "white" male party (as they have repeatedly claimed despite their leaders being ALL WHITE). in an election like this, having a woman on the ticket made mccain stronger.

retiredman
08-30-2008, 07:52 PM
USA Today/Gallup Poll. Aug. 29, 2008. N=898 registered voters nationwide. MoE ± 4.

"As you may know, Republican presidential candidate John McCain has selected Alaska Governor Sarah Palin as his vice presidential running mate. How would you rate John McCain's choice of Sarah Palin for vice president? Would you rate this choice as: excellent, pretty good, only fair, or poor?"

Excellent 19
Pretty Good 27
Only Fair 19
Poor 18
Unsure 17

clearly, the jury's still out.

I will bet she can't find Afghanistan on a map.:laugh2:

Yurt
08-30-2008, 07:54 PM
ANOTHER poll from the preacher who attacks RSR for using polls :laugh2:

midcan5
08-30-2008, 07:57 PM
From the Daily News-Miner in Fairbanks:

Sen. John McCain's selection of Gov. Sarah Palin as his vice presidential running mate was a stunning decision that should make Alaskans proud, even while we wonder about the actual merits of the choice.... Alaskans and Americans must ask, though, whether she should become vice president and, more importantly, be placed first in line to become president.

In fact, as the governor herself acknowledged in her acceptance speech, she never set out to be involved in public affairs. She has never publicly demonstrated the kind of interest, much less expertise, in federal issues and foreign affairs that should mark a candidate for the second-highest office in the land. Republicans rightfully have criticized the Democratic nominee, Sen. Barack Obama, for his lack of experience, but Palin is a neophyte in comparison; how will Republicans reconcile the criticism of Obama with the obligatory cheering for Palin?

Most people would acknowledge that, regardless of her charm and good intentions, Palin is not ready for the top job. McCain seems to have put his political interests ahead of the nation's when he created the possibility that she might fill it.

And from the Anchorage Daily News:

It's stunning that someone with so little national and international experience might be heartbeat away from the presidency.

Gov. Palin is a classic Alaska story. She is an example of the opportunity our state offers to those with talent, initiative and determination...

McCain picked Palin despite a recent blemish on her ethically pure resume. While she was governor, members of her family and staff tried to get her ex-brother-in-law fired from the Alaska State Troopers. Her public safety commissioner would not do so; she forced him out, supposedly for other reasons. While she runs for vice-president, the Legislature has an investigator on the case.

For all those advantages, Palin joins the ticket with one huge weakness: She's a total beginner on national and international issues.

Gov. Palin will have to spend the next two months convincing Americans that she's ready to be a heartbeat away from the presidency....

Yurt
08-30-2008, 08:06 PM
midcan, you must be oh so proud of your WHITE MALE veep....:poke:

emmett
08-30-2008, 08:09 PM
If you were the governor and you had a Public Safety Director (bare in mind that means to oversee the providing of safety to the public) that had refused to fire an officer who beat the shit out of his wife (which is the most despicable thing a man can do next to molesting a child) would you fire them? If not then you would be the unqualified person you claim Sarah Palin to be.

Now take this rhetorical crap somewhere else. There must be a good little lefty board somewhere out there in America where you can pass off that nonsense and get it by.

The left is hating it! The right has hit a homer. Sarah Palin will adapt to whatever enviornment is required. She has proven it and you hate it. She will probably be the reason JM wins by 4 or 5 points. She will then begin sucking in everything she can learn about Washington and I have an idea she will carry that broom and dust pan with her she took to Juneau.

I see her as being a mouthy non-silent VP, changing the way it is viewed by Americans. I say the Senate will get it's ass in line and by 2012 you have a candidate so damn qualified you won't believe it. But of course by then her approval ratings will be hovering at around 77% or more and the Dem's will run a Bill Bradley type candidate for fear that the embarrassment of a lop sided loss would be futile in their effort to ever gain back the white house.

Hide and Watch!

Nuc
08-30-2008, 08:12 PM
Hey E.

Maybe you ought to change your signature now that you are a McCain supporter, don't you think? :slap:

stephanie
08-30-2008, 09:40 PM
It is possible that Obama thought Biden was the best choice available to him. At least he's not a ludicrous choice.

It is not credible that McCain can think the same about Plain. It is a cynical political gimmick intended to confuse female voters and activate the far right in one fell swoop. Palin basically referred to that in her acceptance speech. I thought Republicans were supposed to be against affirmative action?

if Palin is a political gimmick..just what the hell do you call the Obambam..
I call him a political joke.

Shadow
08-31-2008, 12:06 AM
Sara Palin was a brilliant move. Obama was trying to stick McCain into the "he doesn't undertand your needs cuz he's too old and senile" bucket. In one fell swoop with this pick he reached out to the base voters,PUMA's,NRA supporters and the middle class. He was listening,he gave a shout out letting everyone know that ,and America responded by giving his campaign 7 million dollars in donations so far this weekend.

Obama's just mad because he was out smarted by an old coot who is apparently smarter than he is. :cheers2:

stephanie
08-31-2008, 12:11 AM
Sara Palin was a brilliant move. Obama was trying to stick McCain into the "he doesn't understand your needs cuz he's too old and senile" bucket. In one fell swoop with this pick he reached out to the base voters,PUMA's,NRA supporters and the middle class. He was listening,he gave a shout out letting everyone know that ,and America responded by giving his campaign 7 million dollars in donations so far this weekend.

Obama's just mad because he was out smarted by an old coot who is apparently smarter than he is. :cheers2:

hear hear..

just yesterday, the Democrats were writing off McCain as being too old and senile..

well.............look at TODAY...and he didn't have to crawl into the gutter like the Democrats do and will...........:laugh2:

My Winter Storm
08-31-2008, 12:49 AM
Lol, he only chose her because he is desperate. Palin appeals to pro life women, expecially those raising disabled children. McSame has used her as a pawn to gain votes - and he had the gall to carry on at Obama for his 'lack of experience'. It's not as if Palin has that much experience, is it?

crin63
08-31-2008, 12:54 AM
I read about Sarah Palin in Alaska magazine a few months back and was quite intrigued. I think she is an outstanding pick. She brings everything to the table that McCain needed.

Biden is in trouble when they debate, if he comes on to strong it will look like he's beating up on a woman. If he's weak she will clean his clock. I think she will clean his clock anyway but I think it puts him in a tough position and I like that.

08-31-2008, 01:50 AM
Looking at our poll results:

Conservatives think McCain made a great choice

Liberals think McCain made a horrible case.

Hey libs, if this was such a bad choice, don't you think you'd be happy he made it?

I thought Obama's choice of Biden was a great choice. For us. Because it made Obama's ticket weaker (if that's possible). And that's a wonderful thing.

The sheer fact that the Conservatives love the choice and the liberals hate it shows that the left is upset and worried over it.

Immanuel
08-31-2008, 06:24 AM
Lol, he only chose her because he is desperate. Palin appeals to pro life women, expecially those raising disabled children. McSame has used her as a pawn to gain votes - and he had the gall to carry on at Obama for his 'lack of experience'. It's not as if Palin has that much experience, is it?

That's kind of funny because why is any person asked to be the VP candidate? They are always chosen for the simple reason that they will help the Presidential candidate pick up votes in areas that he, and in the future, she is weak.

Republicans and those who normally vote Republican have been screaming for months that John McCain is a liberal and won't pick up the conservative vote. So, what does he do? He taps a pro-life conservative as his running mate... who happens to be a woman and now many of those very same Republicans are hailing him and preparing to sing "Hail To The Cheif" to him every time he enters a room.

In that respect, I think she was a very good choice, but I think we will have to wait until November to find out if she is a choice that will win the hearts of conservative Americans and women.

As I've said before, the fact that she is not a Washington insider is a strong point as far as I am concerned. Her being a woman is also a strong point for me. The men we've had in office lately haven't done a tremendous job, maybe it is time for a woman's point of view in the Oval Office.

But Lord... if she ever gets there, I pray to God she doesn't have them paint the wall Mauve! :laugh2:

Immie

krisy
08-31-2008, 07:46 AM
I agree with avatar. If Democrats really weren't worried and thought this was a bad choice,they wouldn't be attacking her with such vicious rumors and over the top stories.

I would expect some picking,definitely,but nothing they have come up with is near credible.

Kathianne
08-31-2008, 11:29 AM
I agree with avatar. If Democrats really weren't worried and thought this was a bad choice,they wouldn't be attacking her with such vicious rumors and over the top stories.

I would expect some picking,definitely,but nothing they have come up with is near credible.

Yep, JS's post regarding 'desperation' is laughable in light of his starting umpteen threads spreading rumors about Palin, something is spooking them. :laugh2:

Mr. P
08-31-2008, 12:16 PM
Yep, JS's post regarding 'desperation' is laughable in light of his starting umpteen threads spreading rumors about Palin, something is spooking them. :laugh2:

She is a major threat to the planned coronation of the boy king. They're pissin in their cheerios about this pick. She is the fly in their ointment, the wrench in the gears of what was a well greased machine marching to Nov. She's a major bump in their road that they MUST discredit. It's gonna get ugly.

Nuc
08-31-2008, 04:29 PM
if Palin is a political gimmick..just what the hell do you call the Obambam..
I call him a political joke.

This thread is about the VP. As I said in my original post, if the public chooses even Britney Spears for president that's their problem. America is a democracy. I'm talking about the cynicism of choosing a less than competent choice for VP based on frivolous stuff rather than competence and experience.

stephanie
08-31-2008, 04:32 PM
This thread is about the VP. As I said in my original post, if the public chooses even Britney Spears for president that's their problem. America is a democracy. I'm talking about the cynicism of choosing a less than competent choice for VP based on frivolous stuff rather than competence and experience.

yeah well..ya all know about choosing people based on frivolous stuff..

Clinton
Gore
Kerry
Obambam

:laugh2:

Nuc
08-31-2008, 04:34 PM
Looking at our poll results:

Conservatives think McCain made a great choice

Liberals think McCain made a horrible case.

Hey libs, if this was such a bad choice, don't you think you'd be happy he made it?

The poll question was not whether or not he made a "good" choice but whether he made the "right" choice. Picking someone who is not the best option is the wrong choice.

Does anybody really think Palin is the BEST person he could have picked?

This is not about whether she's a nice person, a go getter, a hard worker or whatever. You can find those people working at K-Mart. Is she qualified to become president when McCain's 72 year old ticker gives out? You gotta be kidding!

stephanie
08-31-2008, 04:42 PM
yeah, and Joey Biden has the experience and know how to be a President..

the Obambam picked Joey..

McCain picked Sarah..

deal with it..:cheers2: