PDA

View Full Version : For The Libertarians

Kathianne
09-02-2008, 06:35 PM
The case for Palin:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2008/09/the_libertarian_case_for_palin.html

September 02, 2008
The Libertarian Case for Palin
By David Harsanyi

...Now, Palin's lack of experience has been framed as an impenetrable negative. One wire story helpfully noted that Palin had never ever appeared on "Meet the Press." Shocking! But as Barack Obama often notes, it's not about experience, it's about judgment. And Palin's penchant for reform-minded conservatism is certainly at odds with the racket Washington Republicans have offered up the past 8 years.

Palin, for example, vetoed 300 pork projects in Alaska in her first year in office. She made a habit of knocking out big-government Republicans in her brief political career. For this, the 44-year-old mother of five enjoys a sterling approval rating in a state with arguably the nation's most libertarian-minded populace.

When it comes to healthcare, Palin says she wants to "allow free-market competition and reduce onerous government regulation." These days, any mention of the "free market" that's not framed as a crass pejorative is a sign of progress.

Culturally, there is little for the Heartland to dislike. By now, you've probably seen picture or two of Palin sporting a rifle. Apparently, she's left carcasses strewn across the Alaskan wilderness. In some places -- areas where the nation is growing -- owning a gun is not yet a sin. And unlike Obama, Palin seems to believe that the Second Amendment means the exact same thing in rural Alaska as it does in the streets of Chicago.

Yes, Palin is without argument a staunch social conservative. She is fervently opposed to abortion - even in cases of rape and incest, which will raise eyebrows, but is certainly more philosophically consistent than the namby pambyism of your average politician. The choice issue, after all, is complicated, even for many libertarians. And, as I was recently reminded, Ron Paul, the Libertarian champion of the 21st century, also opposes abortion.

Even when advocating for "moral" issues, Palin's approach is a soft sell. Palin does not support gay marriage (neither does Obama, it should be noted). Yet, in 2006, Palin's first veto as Governor was a bill that sought to block state employee benefits and health insurance for same-sex couples.

We cannot bore into Palin's soul to see her true feelings about gay couples, but, at the time, she noted that signing "this bill would be in direct violation of my oath of office" because it was unconstitutional. For most libertarians, the thought of politician following any constitution, rather than their own predilections, morality or the "common good," is a nice change of pace....

mundame
09-02-2008, 09:21 PM
The case for Palin:

She is fervently opposed to abortion - even in cases of rape and incest,

That is so incredibly not Libertarian. And it's just mean, as well.

I had no idea that she was so antidiluvian as that. I think once this becomes known, McCain's ticket will sink like a rock.

emmett
09-03-2008, 10:44 AM
The case for Palin:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2008/09/the_libertarian_case_for_palin.html

I don't really think any Libertarian, myself included absolutely agrees personally with every posiotion on it's diverse platform. In ever example though, "choice" trumps dissention. Liberty screams out through the soul of each Libertarian making us the most convicted members of any party, anywhere in the US.

This is what compromise is about. To err on the side of Liberty and Freedom of choice is always acceptable for us.

Sarah Palin is a hit with Libertarians. So is Ron Paul. I watched Ron Paul's speech last night and it was good, very good good. Our forefathers would embrace Ron Paul as a wise statesman. Today's America thinks he is a dissenting kook from the republican party.

We're in trouble boy. No matter who wins this election. I tend to think Ron Paul is best "qualified" but even I could not vote for him.

I expect soon the "Campagne for Liberty" will move to support Bob Barr which will disappoint many Republicans and cause a "shake up" in their philosophy. This will benefit all Americans in the future. Dr. Paul understands exactly what he is doing and I applaud him for it. He is a great American!

mundame
09-03-2008, 10:49 AM
Sarah Palin is a hit with Libertarians.

I can't imagine why, if she wants to force this sort of cruelty on all Americans:

"She is fervently opposed to abortion - even in cases of rape and incest, "

In fact, I don't believe it. It's obvious making abortion illegal in cases of rape and incest is not Libertarian at all.

I wouldn't be a Libertarian if I believed that political movement wanted such gross government control as that!

Sitarro
09-03-2008, 11:08 AM
That is so incredibly not Libertarian. And it's just mean, as well.

I had no idea that she was so antidiluvian as that. I think once this becomes known, McCain's ticket will sink like a rock.

You know mundim, if you are going to talk about how poor the school system is, in a lame attempt to denigrate other poster's spelling or grammatical errors, you might want to do some proofing of your own. By using a word that is rarely used in conversation in an attempt to seem scholarly, it would be smart to make sure you spell it correctly. You misspelled antediluvian.

mundame
09-03-2008, 11:18 AM
You misspelled antediluvian.

I did indeed, Sitarro, and I'm amazed that it was you who caught it. Good for you.

But I shouldn't be surprised --- you write very vividly. I imagine you are pretty well educated and careful.

emmett
09-03-2008, 11:24 AM
I can't imagine why, if she wants to force this sort of cruelty on all Americans:

What cruelty?

"She is fervently opposed to abortion - even in cases of rape and incest, "

Show us where this came from "her" mouth. Not someone associated with her.

In fact, I don't believe it. It's obvious making abortion illegal in cases of rape and incest is not Libertarian at all.

I made it clear that Libertarians don't support restriction of a woman's right to choose.

I wouldn't be a Libertarian if I believed that political movement wanted such gross government control as that!

Libertarians don't want government control of anything. You know that!

I made it clear that Libertarians don't all agree on all issues. What we do all agree on is Liberty! Less Restriction, less intrusion, freedom of choice, personal responsibility (like not getting pregnat when you would kill the baby) and accountability for one's actions.

Sitarro
09-03-2008, 11:36 AM
I did indeed, Sitarro, and I'm amazed that it was you who caught it. Good for you.

But I shouldn't be surprised --- you write very vividly. I imagine you are pretty well educated and careful.

I try to proof what I write, I publish books as one of a number of things that I do for a living. I am not very solid on punctuation or even on spelling but will take a few seconds to look it up if something doesn't strike me as correct. I'm 54, I'm less adventurous than I used to be but I still do a lot of things that wouldn't be classified as careful. I do very stupid things when trying to capture an image with my camera, but that is what you're suppose to do to get the best shots...... right?

Why on one hand you are amazed that it was me that caught your error and in the same post you imagine I am "pretty well educated and careful"?

mundame
09-03-2008, 11:36 AM
I made it clear that Libertarians don't all agree on all issues. What we do all agree on is Liberty! Less Restriction, less intrusion, freedom of choice, personal responsibility (like not getting pregnat when you would kill the baby) and accountability for one's actions.

I don't believe that Libertarians want a Palin-type enforcement of anti-abortionism by government.

If you think they do, show a link to that philosophical position, because I don't believe it.

I certainly don't believe in THAT as a Libertarian.

Palin is not a Libertarian candidate. She's a hard-right, government intrusion in the most private aspects of life believer, and she got hoist on her own petard, because all the cruelties she wants to enforce on other people happened to her.

Serves her right. Hard right.

mundame
09-03-2008, 11:37 AM
Why on one hand you are amazed that it was me that caught your error and in the same post you imagine I am "pretty well educated and careful"?

I looked at your other writings and rethought the matter. Should have rewritten.