PDA

View Full Version : the reasonable discussion thread

manu1959
09-04-2008, 11:13 PM
by popular demand...........

first topic.....

is obama the father of those two adorable children or did he rent them ......

or

why does ms. obama chew her lip and grind her jaw like a meth addict.....

Immanuel
09-04-2008, 11:15 PM
I'm starting a pool on this one... how many posts (this one excluded) before the thread gets moved to the "Steel Cage". :poke:

I'm saying 35.

Immie

Gaffer
09-05-2008, 09:28 AM
I'm starting a pool on this one... how many posts (this one excluded) before the thread gets moved to the "Steel Cage". :poke:

I'm saying 35.

Immie

depends on when mfm joins the thread. I give it 8 of his posts after that.

darin
09-05-2008, 10:03 AM
Let's reasonably discuss the merrits of AWD vs RWD:

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s202/give_me_mine/r8vs911.gif

:D

Sitarro
09-05-2008, 10:42 AM
Let's reasonably discuss the merrits of AWD vs RWD:

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s202/give_me_mine/r8vs911.gif

:D

Looks like the Porsche was moving quite a bit faster going into that turn but........ AWD is surely the better for most everything, that Audi looks like it is extremely flat through that turn, almost no body roll. I'm sure the Audi pilot is enjoying the lead but the Porsche driver looks like he's having a great deal more fun with the challenge of keeping her on the track........ I have always loved a nice 4 wheel drift, that one does look like it could be going on a bit too long to keep it from becoming more scary than fun though. Unless some one else is paying for the car, the fun part could quickly become the very expensive part.

I definitely prefer RWD with the option to put into 4WD on ice, that is how I always drove my truck in Colorado unless it was just blindly snowing and we were creeping along. That would be another subject all together, I never liked the idea of not being able to control when I would put it into 4WD. I hit a stretch of about 10 miles of black ice doing about 55 one night in an old RWD Buick Regal w/semi bald tires. The rear end started coming around on me so I let off the gas and turned into it lightly, after bleeding the speed down to 35 it began tracking straight. If I gave it any gas above that the rear end came around. I drove it the next 10 miles at that speed and was OK. In that stretch though, I saw at least 8 4WD trucks upside down in the median. After that I always drove my truck in RWD unless I was in deep snow or going up or descending a hill.

Do you have the film in real time, this could be taken out of context?:laugh2::laugh2:

darin
09-05-2008, 10:53 AM
It's from TopGear - I'll see if I can find it on YT. :)

Their point was the R8 is more controlled - sure - but the 911 was more 'fun' :D

I prefer...uh...I don't, I suppose. FWD = For the Loss, however.

RWD - just feels NICE. Ballanced. When set up right, little understeer. AWD = Understeer out the butt, unless one spends a lot of money.

However - it's neat to feel the car sorta 'claw' out of the turns. AWD really only helps when the car doesn't have enough traction to put down all it's power. On a dry track with good sticky tires, AWD would have a disadvantage of 'consuming' more power (less available to put to the ground) than the RWD car, things being equal. AWD also has more weight! Weight is the enemy.

I bet it'd take about $2500 to get my Subaru to handle anywhere CLOSE to my RX8 with $600 in suspension mods. Of course, they are apples and oranges - one is a sedan, that's sporty. The other is a sports car - by some definitions.

:)

Abbey Marie
09-05-2008, 11:15 AM
by popular demand...........

first topic.....

1. is obama the father of those two adorable children or did he rent them ......

or

2. why does ms. obama chew her lip and grind her jaw like a meth addict.....

1. Yes, but through artifical insemination, as he has ED. (kidding)

2. She is struggling mightily to attempt to look proud of America. (not kidding)