PDA

View Full Version : When under my roof you'll live by my rules

Noir
09-05-2008, 05:43 AM
This is a split from the topic about the wounded solidier being refused a bed at a hotel in woking.

Is it right that a bnb or hotel should be able to refuse beds to someone if that person is homosexual? Or arebthe owners giving up the right to chose who they want in there house when they open their doors for money?

To reply to kathys point, I am unsure how the owners know, possibly when 2 men or 2 women try and book a double room, or maybe they made judgements based on appearence ect. I am unsure, but what I am sure about is that homosexuals were denyed bnb beds, when this was brought tobmedia attention our governent (which is very christain) passed laws that stated that it was at the bnb owners discression If they let gays sleep in there houses or not.

diuretic
09-05-2008, 05:50 AM
Probably the first thing that has to be said is that someone running a b and b isn't running a hotel or motel or something similar. They are actually allowing strangers to sleep in their house for payment. I need to point out that I know in the UK some b and b's are virtually like boutique hotels (and very nice too) but I'm thinking here of the traditional bed and breakfast.

I have to say that I think the owner of the traditional bed and breakfast, given it's their home, does have the right to deny anyone a stay at their house.

Now, having said that I would put a hotel or motel or pub with accommodation in a different category. Where I am someone who runs a hotel etc is licensed to do so and it is illegal for them to discriminate against someone on the usual grounds (sexual preference, ethnicity, disability etc) and that's right, they should not be able to deny someone lodging. But that's a very commercial business which is run in a very impersonal manner. The traditional bed and breakfast is much more personalised and I think that is the difference.

PostmodernProphet
09-05-2008, 06:11 AM
there was a federal civil rights case out of Minnesota back in the 80s that decided this issue in the US.....landlord had a rental in the upstairs of his house.....unmarried couple (man and woman) applied to rent it.....landlord told them that he would not allow an unmarried couple to sleep together under his roof.....they sued under the civil rights act and won......

Immanuel
09-05-2008, 08:11 AM
I personally believe that the owner of the B 'n' B has the right and should have the right to refuse service to anyone they choose.

That being said I don't believe they should refuse service to homosexuals or anyone else that has not caused trouble to them. If I knew that they had done so in the past, I personally would not patronize their establishment.

Immie

diuretic
09-05-2008, 08:57 AM
You're morally right Immie, but on a legal level I still lean towards the ability of the people owning the b and b to refuse use.

I think it's a bit sad but there you go.

darin
09-05-2008, 09:00 AM
Does this translate to all areas? What about pastors refusing to do homosexual "weddings"? Or Photographers, refusing homosexual "weddings"? Or Doctors being sued for not performaning abortions? Where does the line between personal morality meet the actions one does on the job?

diuretic
09-05-2008, 09:19 AM
Good question. I was looking at it from the point of view of someone who wants to be free to decide who stays in their home (and pays for the privilege) as opposed so a business which should be open for anyone regardless.

Immanuel
09-05-2008, 09:24 AM
You're morally right Immie, but on a legal level I still lean towards the ability of the people owning the b and b to refuse use.I think it's a bit sad but there you go.

I thought that was what I said.

I believe they have the right. I don't believe denying services to be the right thing to do.

dmp: I agree with you. Each of those examples should have the right to choose with whom they do business (unless in the case of the doctor it is a life or death situation), but exercising that right should be used sparingly if at all.

Immie

diuretic
09-05-2008, 09:53 AM
I thought that was what I said.

I believe they have the right. I don't believe denying services to be the right thing to do.

dmp: I agree with you. Each of those examples should have the right to choose with whom they do business (unless in the case of the doctor it is a life or death situation), but exercising that right should be used sparingly if at all.

Immie

No problem Immie.

JohnDoe
09-05-2008, 10:04 AM
equal service to customers in hotels and restaurants were part of the Civil rights act*, along with equal opportunity employment in all jobs

darin
09-05-2008, 10:05 AM
...what about rights to refuse folk who are barefoot/shirtless, etc? Rights to refuse service should be held, appropriately.

JohnDoe
09-05-2008, 10:08 AM
...what about rights to refuse folk who are barefoot/shirtless, etc? Rights to refuse service should be held, appropriately.

Race, religion, gender discrimination etc are protected by the act...

darin
09-05-2008, 10:15 AM
...not exactly. I was denied a position at Victoria's Secret - working on the sales floor. That's 'employment' right - but I bet they'd also deny service if, say, Jim wanted to go in and get assistance trying on panties.

For the record, it's very very sad and disturbing when I see homosexuality 'protect' as if it were equal to something one cannot control - their race, or gender. :)

Immanuel
09-05-2008, 10:16 AM
equal service to customers in hotels and restaurants were part of the Civil rights act*, along with equal opportunity employment in all jobs

In the same way that some claim that the government has no right to dictate what a woman does with her body (a false premise when discussing the life of another human being) the government has no right to force a business...

You know JD... as I think about it, that could be taken to extremes. I believe that a business owner should have the right to refuse service to anyone if they so choose, but, then that can be taken to extremes in that they could refuse service to colored people or some other unacceptable criteria.

I'll have to think about this before I finish my first statement.

Immie

JohnDoe
09-05-2008, 10:21 AM
In the same way that some claim that the government has no right to dictate what a woman does with her body (a false premise when discussing the life of another human being) the government has no right to force a business...

You know JD... as I think about it, that could be taken to extremes. I believe that a business owner should have the right to refuse service to anyone if they so choose, but, then that can be taken to extremes in that they could refuse service to colored people or some other unacceptable criteria.

I'll have to think about this before I finish my first statement.

ImmieWell, that was a HUGE problem at one time immie, no restaurants would serve Blacks and i suppose the only way to stop this kind of discrimination was to legislate it...same with hotels...

so, even though it may seem unfair to the owner, it was even more unfair to not be served or given a hotel room JUST BECAUSE OF ONE'S COLOR OF SKIN....

age and disability get added to sex, race and religion as far as being protected.

Immanuel
09-05-2008, 10:26 AM
Well, that was a HUGE problem at one time immie, no restaurants would serve Blacks and i suppose the only way to stop this kind of discrimination was to legislate it...same with hotels...

so, even though it may seem unfair to the owner, it was even more unfair to not be served or given a hotel room JUST BECAUSE OF ONE'S COLOR OF SKIN....

age and disability get added to sex, race and religion as far as being protected.

And that was why I had to stop mid-thought there. I can understand in certain situations or more accurately limited circumstances as opposed to nationwide, but it could in effect be used to justify segregation all over again.

Immie

Noir
09-05-2008, 10:42 AM
For the record, it's very very sad and disturbing when I see homosexuality 'protect' as if it were equal to something one cannot control - their race, or gender. :)

That would be asuming that being homosexual is a choice and hence controlable

I see it as awful that a bnb would be able to reject someone for any reason other than if the person fears for there personal safety otherwise you are basicly saying it's fine for a bnb to have a sign saying 'bnb, vacancies, no gays' and why stop at gays, you could have 'no blacks, no Jews, no one with a lisp' ect ect.

And if it's going to apply to bnb's why not apply it to shops aswell, and buses, and the workplace.

darin
09-05-2008, 10:56 AM
That would be asuming that being homosexual is a choice and hence controlable

I see it as awful that a bnb would be able to reject someone for any reason other than if the person fears for there personal safety otherwise you are basicly saying it's fine for a bnb to have a sign saying 'bnb, vacancies, no gays' and why stop at gays, you could have 'no blacks, no Jews, no one with a lisp' ect ect.

And if it's going to apply to bnb's why not apply it to shops aswell, and buses, and the workplace.

Homosexuality is purely based up behavior. When one doesn't have sex, one isn't _____sexual. If somebody has desire to have sex w/ another of their gender, than can get therapy and help control/correct the desire.

Race - Michael Jackson not withstanding - cannot be changed. Nor can true Gender.

Relgion is the only behavior/choice criteria which I support being protected, off the top of my head.

Mr. P
09-05-2008, 11:01 AM
there was a federal civil rights case out of Minnesota back in the 80s that decided this issue in the US.....landlord had a rental in the upstairs of his house.....unmarried couple (man and woman) applied to rent it.....landlord told them that he would not allow an unmarried couple to sleep together under his roof.....they sued under the civil rights act and won......

Landlord tenant law vs business law...apples/oranges.

Abbey Marie
09-05-2008, 12:05 PM
Good question. I was looking at it from the point of view of someone who wants to be free to decide who stays in their home (and pays for the privilege) as opposed so a business which should be open for anyone regardless.

I think once they charge for a room, it is for all intents a business.

On a related note, do BnB's have to get a business license?

PostmodernProphet
09-05-2008, 12:16 PM
Landlord tenant law vs business law...apples/oranges.

civil rights law versus civil rights law....oranges and oranges...

Noir
09-05-2008, 12:54 PM
Homosexuality is purely based up behavior. When one doesn't have sex, one isn't _____sexual. If somebody has desire to have sex w/ another of their gender, than can get therapy and help control/correct the desire.

Race - Michael Jackson not withstanding - cannot be changed. Nor can true Gender.

Relgion is the only behavior/choice criteria which I support being protected, off the top of my head.

Just a quick note (cus my dinners waiting on me) if you are not attracted to either sex you are a-sexual.

PostmodernProphet
09-05-2008, 01:12 PM
Just a quick note (cus my dinners waiting on me) if you are not attracted to either sex you are a-sexual.

no, I think it means you're a computer game designer.....

Immanuel
09-05-2008, 01:13 PM
no, I think it means you're a computer game designer.....

Designer or player?

Immie