PDA

View Full Version : EU Wants to limit Speech - Ban 'sexist' advertisements

darin
09-05-2008, 07:42 AM
THESE are the chuckleheads with whom we need to 'collaberate' on issues important to world security?

Get ready folks! Thought-Police will be here soon.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/2686538/EU-wants-to-ban-sexist-TV-commercials.html

Swedish MEP Eva-Britt Svensson urged Britain and other members to use existing equality, sexism and discrimination laws to control advertising.

She wants regulatory bodies set up to monitor ads and introduce a "zero-tolerance" policy against "sexist insults or degrading images".

Ms Svensson said: "Gender stereotyping in advertising straitjackets women, men, girls and boys by restricting individuals to predetermined and artificial roles that are often degrading, humiliating and dumbed down for both sexes."

She added: "Gender stereotyping in advertising is one of several factors that have a big influence in efforts to make society more gender equal. When women and men are portrayed in a stereotypical way the consequence may be that it becomes difficult in other contexts to see women and men's resources and abilities."

I wonder if she'd take aim at all the network shows and ads showing Fathers as complete buffoons?
:-/

Noir
09-05-2008, 08:11 AM
not surprising that this cmes from the daily torygraph, statements like this come out all the time, but they ahve little or no impact on anything, the only thing they do is undermine the good work the EU does, but the speakers do not seem to be phased by this.

diuretic
09-05-2008, 09:00 AM
The Telegraph appears to have gone nuts recently, it's the Brit paper of record for the wingnuts.

Anyway, I like ads with scantily clad women in them, I don't care what they're advertising and frankly I usually don't notice but I do like ads with scantily clad women in them. They can brighten up my day :laugh2: