PDA

View Full Version : Heart - Pissed that the RNC is using their song..

-Cp
09-05-2008, 02:20 PM
Makes me have a huge disrespect for Ann and Nancy....

The sister act behind "Barracuda," the song used by the McCain-Palin campaign in reference to Sarah Palin's "Barracuda" nickname, is none too pleased that their pro-woman anthem is being co-opted by the GOP. Ann and Nancy Wilson of Heart sent a cease and desist letter to the McCain campaign, and, in reaction to last night's use of it, Nancy sent an angry letter to Entertainment Weekly, tearing Sarah Barracuda a new one. "I feel completely fucked over," she said. "Sarah Palin's views and values in NO WAY represent us as American women. We ask that our song 'Barracuda' no longer be used to promote her image. The song 'Barracuda' was written in the late 70s as a scathing rant against the soulless, corporate nature of the music business, particularly for women. (The 'barracuda' represented the business.) While Heart did not and would not authorize the use of their song at the RNC, there's irony in Republican strategists' choice to make use of it there." [EW]

http://jezebel.com/5045836/

krisy
09-05-2008, 02:36 PM
Maybe the Republicans should find a nice country song to use. That is the only group of people left in the music industry that seem to have a brain in their heads.

So I guess the group Heart are liberals...what a surprise:rolleyes:

Noir
09-05-2008, 02:38 PM
why have you lost respect for them? A song is a deeply personal thing, and if you hear it being used to promote someone or something that you do not agree with then obviosly you are gonna speak out about it. What did you expect them to do? At the very least the GOP could have asked the group if they could use the song which I assume never happened.

-Cp
09-05-2008, 02:39 PM
Maybe the Republicans should find a nice country song to use. That is the only group of people left in the music industry that seem to have a brain in their heads.

So I guess the group Heart are liberals...what a surprise:rolleyes:

One of the BIG reasons why I LOVE Country music...

theHawk
09-05-2008, 02:47 PM
why have you lost respect for them? A song is a deeply personal thing, and if you hear it being used to promote someone or something that you do not agree with then obviosly you are gonna speak out about it. What did you expect them to do? At the very least the GOP could have asked the group if they could use the song which I assume never happened.

Why would anyone need to get permission to play a song? If you buy a CD you can play it whenever you want, like at parties and yes, even conventions. It was played inbetween speakers as background music, why would they give a shit.

Noir
09-05-2008, 02:49 PM
One of the BIG reasons why I LOVE Country music...

I just find country music depressing

-Cp
09-05-2008, 02:51 PM
I just find country music depressing

Then you're not listening to the right songs!

Most are based on family values, love of God and Country.. .

Noir
09-05-2008, 02:53 PM
Why would anyone need to get permission to play a song? If you buy a CD you can play it whenever you want, like at parties and yes, even conventions. It was played inbetween speakers as background music, why would they give a shit.

When you buy a CD you only buy the rights to play it privetly, ie at a privet party, you have to get a broadcasting licence for playing it over the radio or at a sports game ect.

April15
09-05-2008, 02:53 PM
Royalties and copywrite have a small bit to do with it. Besides why would double wide trailer need to use Hearts melody. She is more like the country song," you picked a fine time to leave me lucile."

MtnBiker
09-05-2008, 02:58 PM
Well the campaign may stop using the song because they do not want to cause a dust up, however if they choose to keep using the song the Wilson sister may have a hard time stopping them.

Copyright law may not be on the Wilsons' side as the song is licensed for public performance under a blanket fee paid by the venue to ASCAP, the firm that collects royalties on behalf of composers and copyright owners.

Despite the Wilson sisters' objections, one of the song's co-writers said he was "thrilled" that the song was used.

In an e-mail to Reuters, the band's former guitarist, Roger Fisher, said it was a win-win situation. Heart gets publicity and royalties, while the Republicans benefit from "the ingenious placement of a kick-ass song," Fisher said.

http://http://in.reuters.com/article/entertainmentNews/idINIndia-35341520080905

April15
09-05-2008, 03:01 PM
If royalties are paid then the sisters are out of luck.

Noir
09-05-2008, 03:08 PM
If royalties are paid then the sisters are out of luck.

If royalties have been paid through a third party, as seems to have happened, then the sisters can still argue there case and the song will be droped, more for ease than any legal technicality I spect. And crin you never answered the question, why did you lose respect for them?

PostmodernProphet
09-05-2008, 03:10 PM
I always thought there was a partial use restriction.....like, if you only use ten seconds of a song they couldn't call it use, or something.....the OP says they only used the introductory bars....