PDA

View Full Version : Elitism against the south

actsnoblemartin
09-05-2008, 09:40 PM
I find it disgusting, for some americans to act as if they are better then southerners.

#1 The rest of the united states is actually MORE racist & prejudice then the south both historically and now.

How?, the north has always hid its racism & prejudice because it never had the balls to be honest about how it felt about non-whites.

#2 Most of the south, the vast majority is more polite then california, (the west coast), new york (the east coast) or are the most courteous kind people, while everyone else in america is fake.

The south has a rich tradition, and while not perfect, many WHITE SOUTHERNERS fought for civil rights in the 60's and the north didnt give a dam about the slaves, they just didnt want the south succeeding.

The south has the best values of any part of the united states, whether its their hospitality, kindness, or courage to REALLY change.

The north/rest of the country just sweep race relations under the rug.

If anyone on this board TRULY thinks they are better then a southerner, they are a bigot, ignorant, a hate mongor, and a moron.

Mr. P
09-05-2008, 09:47 PM
I find it disgusting, for some americans to act as if they are better then southerners.

#1 The rest of the united states is actually MORE racist & prejudice then the south both historically and now.

How?, the north has always hid its racism & prejudice because it never had the balls to be honest about how it felt about non-whites.

#2 Most of the south, the vast majority is more polite then california, (the west coast), new york (the east coast) or are the most courteous kind people, while everyone else in america is fake.

The south has a rich tradition, and while not perfect, many WHITE SOUTHERNERS fought for civil rights in the 60's and the north didnt give a dam about the slaves, they just didnt want the south succeeding.

The south has the best values of any part of the united states, whether its their hospitality, kindness, or courage to REALLY change.

If anyone on this board TRULY thinks they are better then a southerner, they are a bigot, ignorant, a hate mongor, and a moron.

Well martin, I'll tell ya, in my 28 years in aviation traveling this country north to south and east to west, you are absolutely (100%) correct.

Immanuel
09-05-2008, 10:28 PM

Unlike Mr. P I don't agree with this completely. Yes, many people of the South are friendly and hospitable to say the least. However, I grew up in California and to be quite honest with you, except for the older generation, not my parents, but their parents, I don't remember race being an issue at all. Here in the South the N-word is still thrown around regularly.

There are good people in the West and there are good people in the South. I have never had the pleasure of visiting the Northeast, but I wouldn't be so surprised to find a few good people in the NE either.

I'm not any better than my brothers from the South, but I don't believe they are perfect either.

Immie

actsnoblemartin
09-05-2008, 10:49 PM
I didnt say the south was perfect, but i dont like the elitist hatred against them by some americans.

California is fake, they wont call you an n or a k, or a g or an f, but they think it.

My point was i'd rather know someone dislikes me, then they pretend they do, i.e. fake ass Kalifornians

but pointed noted sir

:)

Unlike Mr. P I don't agree with this completely. Yes, many people of the South are friendly and hospitable to say the least. However, I grew up in California and to be quite honest with you, except for the older generation, not my parents, but their parents, I don't remember race being an issue at all. Here in the South the N-word is still thrown around regularly.

There are good people in the West and there are good people in the South. I have never had the pleasure of visiting the Northeast, but I wouldn't be so surprised to find a few good people in the NE either.

I'm not any better than my brothers from the South, but I don't believe they are perfect either.

Immie

Immanuel
09-05-2008, 10:56 PM
I didnt say the south was perfect, but i dont like the elitist hatred against them by some americans.

California is fake, they wont call you an n or a k, or a g or an f, but they think it.

My point was i'd rather know someone dislikes me, then they pretend they do, i.e. fake ass Kalifornians

but pointed noted sir

:)

I didn't imply you had said they were perfect. I meant that I didn't think that the South was perfect.

I haven't lived in California in 15 years, but I can say that when I was growing up there late 60's and 70's, racism was a thing of the past or at least it seemed so to me. I had friends from just about every race and creed that I can think of and I never thought about their race.

Here in the South, I can get offended at things people say about other races. It is sad that there are people in 2008 who can use the N-word in reference to someone specific and not think twice about it, in fact, laugh about it and think its funny or even worse, not even think about it.

Immie

Mr. P
09-05-2008, 11:24 PM
I didn't imply you had said they were perfect. I meant that I didn't think that the South was perfect.

I haven't lived in California in 15 years, but I can say that when I was growing up there late 60's and 70's, racism was a thing of the past or at least it seemed so to me. I had friends from just about every race and creed that I can think of and I never thought about their race.

Here in the South, I can get offended at things people say about other races. It is sad that there are people in 2008 who can use the N-word in reference to someone specific and not think twice about it, in fact, laugh about it and think its funny or even worse, not even think about it.

Immie

Florida right, Immie? Got news for ya bud..that ain't the south. Not even close.

BTW, overall you ain't missing a thing in the NE.

Immanuel
09-05-2008, 11:30 PM
Florida right, Immie? Got news for ya bud..that ain't the south. Not even close.

Yes, Tampa, is the rest of the South better or worse?

Not even the changing of the leaves in the Fall? They tell me it is so beautiful.

And as I think about it, I HAVE actually been to the NE. They diverted a flight my family was on to NJ and we got to sit in Newark's airport for several hours. Still that is not experiencing the North East. Some day I want the pleasure of seeing that part of the country. I'd love to see the places that history was made up there.

Immie

Mr. P
09-05-2008, 11:43 PM
Yes, Tampa, is the rest of the South better or worse?

Not even the changing of the leaves in the Fall? They tell me it is so beautiful.

And as I think about it, I HAVE actually been to the NE. They diverted a flight my family was on to NJ and we got to sit in Newark's airport for several hours. Still that is not experiencing the North East. Some day I want the pleasure of seeing that part of the country. I'd love to see the places that history was made up there.

Immie

My point is Florida is NOT the south in the context of the thread...it's full of folks from all over the country.

As far as the NE countryside, yes it's very pretty...it's the people that suck...but to be fair that's primarily in the metro areas although many of the small towns are very elitist.

Oh, yes the real south is much better..

Abbey Marie
09-05-2008, 11:47 PM
My point is Florida is NOT the south in the context of the thread...it's full of folks from all over the country.

As far as the NE countryside, yes it's very pretty...it's the people that suck...but to be fair that's primarily in the metro areas although many of the small towns are very elitist.

I believe it, Mr. P. If the weather were different, I'd consider moving there.

Immanuel
09-05-2008, 11:48 PM

I understand that and I must agree. Florida is full of folks from all over the country, but the folks I'm talking about are the ones from around here or who have been here most of their lives. But mind you not even all of them are this way. It really is a small... but vocal... minority.

Immie

Immanuel
09-05-2008, 11:53 PM

Believe me you get used to it.

And let me tell you a secret. But you have to promise not to tell anyone else... promise?

Okay, I'll accept your promise. :D

The heat isn't year round. In fact this year and this year was not an exception, we had beautiful weather 70's - low 80's from early November until late June. Absolutely fabulous weather.

Now, remember you promised not to tell anyone, because, those of us who live here want you all to think it is 120 in the shade year round. If you all realize how nice the weather really is here for most of the year, we will have 7 billion people living in Florida. No thanks!!!

Now, don't tell anyone. :D

Immie

Abbey Marie
09-05-2008, 11:58 PM
I've been to Florida about 4 times Immie, including last April. It sure seemed hot to me! It's good that you love where you live. Key West is very nice.

I will probably live in the NE for all my life, though I am thinking of heading further north eventually so it will be cooler yet.

Immanuel
09-06-2008, 12:02 AM
I've been to Florida about 4 times Immie, including last April. It sure seemed hot to me! It's good that you love where you live. Key West is very nice.

I will probably live in the NE for all my life, though I am thinking of heading further north eventually so it will be cooler yet.

Further North?

Does that mean more snow? Yuck!!! Why anyone would want to actually live where it snows is beyond me. :D Snow is for day trips to the mountains to go skiing. Snow is not for living in.

I took my first trip to Key West last month. Yes, it's very nice but I don't want to live there. Parking sucks!

Immie

Mr. P
09-06-2008, 12:06 AM

Ah the heck with the weather, we have really cool bugs an stuff! :laugh2:

Mr. P
09-06-2008, 12:08 AM
I understand that and I must agree. Florida is full of folks from all over the country, but the folks I'm talking about are the ones from around here or who have been here most of their lives. But mind you not even all of them are this way. It really is a small... but vocal... minority.

Immie

From my travels I can say, those folks are everywhere, Immie.

Immanuel
09-06-2008, 12:09 AM

Yeah, big'uns!!! :)

Thanks Mr. P that'll scare them all away.

Immie

Mr. P
09-06-2008, 12:47 AM
Yeah, big'uns!!! :)

Thanks Mr. P that'll scare them all away.

Immie

Twas my thinkin...:2up:

LuvRPgrl
09-06-2008, 04:44 PM

Immie

You cant generalize about Californians like you can other parts of the country. ITs too diverse and too large.

Many are from other places, especially back east. Very few natives.

An example is a lot of people claim Californians are lousy drivers, yet its because many from other states dont understand Ca driving laws.

For example, you CAN make a right turn on a red light here, but I see out of staters sitting and waiting for the light to turn green, even when no cars are coming.

Immanuel
09-06-2008, 05:24 PM
You cant generalize about Californians like you can other parts of the country. ITs too diverse and too large.

Many are from other places, especially back east. Very few natives.

An example is a lot of people claim Californians are lousy drivers, yet its because many from other states dont understand Ca driving laws.

For example, you CAN make a right turn on a red light here, but I see out of staters sitting and waiting for the light to turn green, even when no cars are coming.

True but like I said, in California people didn't have a problem with race. Even though it was so diverse there just was not much racism. If you are right and there were a lot of out of staters wouldn't that lead you to believe that there would be more racism if the rest of the country were supposedly more racist?

Having come from California, I'd have to say it is they who are lousy drivers. :D

Immie

Trigg
09-06-2008, 05:42 PM

I gotta agree with Mr. P here, I lived down there for many years and even graduated highschool outside Tampa. Florida really shouldn't be counted as a Southern state.

Except for the smaller towns most people who live in FL arn't from there, huge percentage of Northerners. That's why you get the question "are you a native" or "where are you from" the first time you meet someone.

As far as the racism question, I'd have to say the most racist state I've ever lived in was Louisiana and it was the blacks against the whites.

Trigg
09-06-2008, 05:45 PM

Yep, those really cool bugs are part of the reason I don't miss FL much. Lovebugs, Palmetto bugs (roaches), little roaches, and fire ants.

CatalystOfChaos
09-06-2008, 06:34 PM

Pot. meet kettle.

You just called out the rest of the country, displaying an elitist attitude towards them yourself.

I have traveled all over the place in the United States. You're trying to state that the South is more hospitable, that the issues are less present than others say they are, etc.

Yes, the South's problems are exaggerated. But most exaggerations and jokes are somehow based in truth.

You try to say that people in California and New York are fake, and that while not using racial slurs, are thinking it?

That's one of the most ignorant things I've heard.

Racism is everywhere, no doubt about it. But California and New York are huge melting pots in the United States, and there are huge mixes of people. Gays, minorities, every type of person who finds themselves prejudiced against or shunned in other states flock to these places for two reasons.

1.) There are more people like them. They feel more comfortable, there is less racism, even if you refer to it as "fake."
2.) Lots of available jobs. Yes, the unemployment rate is high. But the sheer number of jobs is also higher, based on the sheer number of people.

You may say California is fake racism. I respectfully disagree. It's such a huge melting pot here, you can't survive and be a racist or a bigot. You'll be uncomfortable and unhappy. The population percentages are much different than those of other parts of the country.

Why do California and New York often spark off the debates about such things as Gay Marriage, Affirmative Action, Immigration Laws, etc?

These are states where these issues are important and seen as needed. Please do not refer to people as being fake racists, that's just silly. Are you telepathic? Can you read thoughts?

actsnoblemartin
09-06-2008, 07:43 PM
is it elitist if i think its true?, and your a sharp cookie, because sometimes i am elitist.

I have a deep apprectiation for the mid-west and some people from the north east, west, north, southwest etc.

Its just my favorite state is texas and my favorite part of the country is the south.

I happen to live in california and dont like some of the values by some americans, and have a deep fondness/elitism for the south/texas

yee haw

Pot. meet kettle.

You just called out the rest of the country, displaying an elitist attitude towards them yourself.

I have traveled all over the place in the United States. You're trying to state that the South is more hospitable, that the issues are less present than others say they are, etc.

Yes, the South's problems are exaggerated. But most exaggerations and jokes are somehow based in truth.

You try to say that people in California and New York are fake, and that while not using racial slurs, are thinking it?

That's one of the most ignorant things I've heard.

Racism is everywhere, no doubt about it. But California and New York are huge melting pots in the United States, and there are huge mixes of people. Gays, minorities, every type of person who finds themselves prejudiced against or shunned in other states flock to these places for two reasons.

1.) There are more people like them. They feel more comfortable, there is less racism, even if you refer to it as "fake."
2.) Lots of available jobs. Yes, the unemployment rate is high. But the sheer number of jobs is also higher, based on the sheer number of people.

You may say California is fake racism. I respectfully disagree. It's such a huge melting pot here, you can't survive and be a racist or a bigot. You'll be uncomfortable and unhappy. The population percentages are much different than those of other parts of the country.

Why do California and New York often spark off the debates about such things as Gay Marriage, Affirmative Action, Immigration Laws, etc?

These are states where these issues are important and seen as needed. Please do not refer to people as being fake racists, that's just silly. Are you telepathic? Can you read thoughts?