PDA

View Full Version : This 90sec Clip from McCain trumps Obama's entire speech

-Cp
09-06-2008, 11:57 AM
I can't recall the last time I was so moved by ANYONE's speech as I was the last 90-seconds of McCains:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uKc7t7H5_jA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uKc7t7H5_jA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

darin
09-06-2008, 01:06 PM
I can't help but wonder about people when I see that. What he said was right-on...but It's crazily similar to what we see at some churches, eh?

-Cp
09-06-2008, 01:13 PM
I can't help but wonder about people when I see that. What he said was right-on...but It's crazily similar to what we see at some churches, eh?

Not followin' ya...

Yurt
09-06-2008, 03:47 PM

thought the same thing

and what if i don't want to thank god the way he does? other than that, i like the fight part and how we make history

09-06-2008, 04:24 PM

I'm curious what you mean too.

darin
09-06-2008, 04:30 PM
I guess I mean...

There are some folk - maybe in that crowd there in the video - who would mock and laugh and scoff at Churches or videos of churches hootin' and hollerin' just like in the vid in the OP. It's as if...is Politics a Religion? I'm starting to think it might be. People try to 'evangelize' and draw others into their point of view - even for good reasons like compassion. Some people hate and kill in the name of politics. There are a LOT of folk we see online - some in this forum - so full of hate for anything which disagrees w/ their point of view. It's eerily similar to relgious nutjobs...ya know?

All humans seek God. They want to Know the Way. Whether that way rests in the hands of Obama-the-chosen, or McCain, or Jesus- people 'worship' their particular god in ways they ridicule others for. Make sense?

I'm just starting to work out what I'm trying to say - haven't given it more thought than what's here in these replies. Maybe some of you will see what I'm saying and can help me elaborate?

09-06-2008, 04:42 PM
I know exactly what you are talking about. And I do think religion and politics are similiarly linked. I think they can overlap. That's one reason I think the so called "Separation of Church and state" is somewhat naive. You can't separate someones religion from their politics. It's their deeply held feelings.

It's not what the Founders wanted anyway. They expected people to act according to their religious beliefs. But the Republic has an inherent check against that. There are other people with opposing viewpoints who will act as a check against them. That is precisely why the free exercise clause exists in the Constitution.

Abbey Marie
09-06-2008, 09:23 PM
I heard on TV McCain raised his voice because the crowd was so loud, and an aide motioned to him to speak over the din to be heard instead of stopping and waiting. It doesn't sound like it was planned to sound that way.

Yurt
09-06-2008, 09:56 PM
I know exactly what you are talking about. And I do think religion and politics are similiarly linked. I think they can overlap. That's one reason I think the so called "Separation of Church and state" is somewhat naive. You can't separate someones religion from their politics. It's their deeply held feelings.

It's not what the Founders wanted anyway. They expected people to act according to their religious beliefs. But the Republic has an inherent check against that. There are other people with opposing viewpoints who will act as a check against them. That is precisely why the free exercise clause exists in the Constitution.

if those two demigods... religion and politics are linked, crap, i don't know what to say. religion is supposed to be about life, spirituality, death.

politics.............but we make politics more than it is. unless one wants to posit that in heaven politics is created by God and God allowed politics...and saw that it was good and so we have lucifer and christ.

bullypulpit
09-08-2008, 04:26 AM
There was something oddly familiar about Grampy McCain's speech, and it came to me this morning...Edward G. Robinson's death scene in "Soylent Green". All that was missing was Beethoven's 6th Symphony swelling in the background.

<h1><font color=red>SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!</font></h1>

PostmodernProphet
09-08-2008, 05:42 AM
I don't follow that dmp.....if you find a parallel with religion, it would be with religion that is not what it should be.....isn't it more a parallel with what you would see at a UofM game just before kick off?.....it was emotion and sports and politics engage emotion in their supporters.....religion which involves only emotion would be a negative thing.....

theHawk
09-08-2008, 08:03 AM
Well we know that for die hard liberals, their politics is their religion. Obama himself tried to portray himself as a deity, complete with the styrofoam Greek columns. He vows to fight for their sacraments - abortion, high taxes, government dependency and a weakened military.

Abbey Marie
09-08-2008, 09:21 AM
Well we know that for die hard liberals, their politics is their religion. Obama himself tried to portray himself as a deity, complete with the styrofoam Greek columns. He vows to fight for their sacraments - abortion, high taxes, government dependency and a weakened military.

All the while screeching their high priest's mantra, "God Damn America!"